Bigwavemaster - Awesome YouTube Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirtdoc1

Vessel Name
Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Make
North Pacific 45

This is a rescue boat for the oil rigs.

Last edited:
I don't think our size boats would last too long in those waves. Those are 60'+ waves. I'm probably pretty close because I watched another video of theirs that they estimated the waves and they estimated about 60' and they weren't quite as bad.

Not sure what was horrifying....the boat was riding pretty well.....

But just like our boats, when in severe conditions, things aren't too bad till something goes wrong.

I really saw that as an assistance tower.

On a nasty day even in protected waters and going for a ride was no big deal, getting a boat ungrounded, or one under tow that couldnt free their anchor, or trying a battery jump/fuel drop would get ugly.

People would be aghast when I would not be able to get to them safely or that I recommended a tow over a fuel drop so our boats wouldn't smack together.

Yep, many people never see past one or two moves on the chess board of boating, and thats where real problems can arise.

But for professional mariners, its rare to spend a lifetime at sea and not see conditions like that in the video once or twice. Heck, just being deployed on cutters part time and I went through boat riding excercises at least as bad as that video. Only horrifying if not prepared for it.

But certainly not fun........ except for the first timer new guy if they weren't sick as a dog yet.... :D

Last edited:
60 foot waves in a 600 ft boat look a lot worse than a 4 foot waves in a 40 foot boat.

Bigwavemaster1 is an ERRV (emergency response and rescue), working with the North Sea platforms. The boat is 50m (164'). The waves were measured at one of the platforms, estimated at 20m (65').

Last edited:
The North Sea is a cruel body of water (but every continent has their own "North Sea"). I think there's just way more footage from the North Sea vs The Southern Ocean (Ant), Drake Passage, Cook Straight, South China Sea etc...

It's so amazing to think that commercial traffic and fishermen all around the world deal with 50'+ waves every day. Mind boggling actually. No Sea Tow or USCG is gonna save their ass! LMAO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom