Oil extractor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
Anyone have any recommendations on a good oil extractor manual pump? I can't seem to find one that will hold the 11 liters of oil for my Volvo Penta TAMD41. Looking for one with long tubes as well.

Look at the Mityvac oil extractors. I had one of the 8 Liter ones that I used on our Camano. It comes with long tubes that will fit down the dipstick tube. Good for the transmission too. You will never get 11 Liters out of the engine. You're lucky to get 9 out.

I finally decided to separate the two functions. I bought. A really good hand oil pump and simply pump the used oil into large waste oil containers. On my sailboat I tried three different extractors with an integral container. I wasn’t happy with any of them.

Look at the Mityvac oil extractors. I had one of the 8 Liter ones that I used on our Camano. It comes with long tubes that will fit down the dipstick tube. Good for the transmission too. You will never get 11 Liters out of the engine. You're lucky to get 9 out.

I like those, but I'm trying to avoid having to dump a little out into a container before all the oil is out. There are a lot out there that are 7 or 8 liters but hardly any that are larger than this. Mityvac has an 8.8L which might work... but it'd be close.

I have a 12v pump plumbed into my drain pans with a 10’ hose that I put into a 5 gallon bucket. Plug in the pump, open the valve and pump 4 gallons of oil in less than 2 minutes. Bucket leaves the boat, nothing left to stow.

Much like Tiltrider, I removed the drain plugs from the oil pans and permanently installed 1/2" lines for oil changes, the ends capped and securely elevated while not in use. I use these with a reversible Jabsco vane pump. Out comes the old oil, reverse the switch and in goes the new.:thumb:

Last edited:
I see no problem draining the container two or more times to finish the extraction. They work fairly fast ... at least mine did.

I use an oil extractor manual pump on my twin TAMD41s. I get 3/4 of the oil out by the time the pump is full, pump it out into last year's 19l container, finish the job on that engine and start on the other, repeat, take the bucket and the third pump load to the barrel. Done. Doesn't add enough time or effort to think about getting a larger capacity pump.

We use a rotary hand pump , cast iron ones vary from $40 to $140 .

8 gal is 2 mostly full 5 gal pails (that the oil comes in) and is easy to lift out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom