New Jersey marinas i.e. hoboken, jersey city, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boater3

Guru
Vessel Make
tbd
Looking to stay ~2 months close to Manhattan on the boat

Looks like there are a few marinas on the hudson river

The ones that stand out are liberty harbor (not landing), hudson point, lincoln harbor, and shipyard.

Reviews are varying. I read that lincoln harbor is not protected and the docks are extremely loud and Shipyard is not protected at all. That leaves Hudson Point or Liberty Harbor. Anyone have any experience?

Can also consider other areas in NJ close-by

Looking for a some what safe area that is protected from the hudson river wakes, can accommodate a 44' vessel, 50 amp electric, and pump-out nearby.

Thanks!

Newport Marina is fantastic. Give them a call...

Newport Marina is fantastic. Give them a call...

Thanks but they have been shut down since last summer. Apparently their pier was collapsing. They are hoping to re-open this year TBD. Any idea what their rates were like? Their sister IGY marina North Cove is $20,000 per month...

Thanks but they have been shut down since last summer. Apparently their pier was collapsing. They are hoping to re-open this year TBD. Any idea what their rates were like? Their sister IGY marina North Cove is $20,000 per month...

Sadly it doesn't sound like any decision has been made on reopening the Newport Yacht Club and Marina. IGY operates it but does not own it. Apparently the owners weren't willing to spend to return it to safe. We last stayed there in April 2016

Great Kills on Staten Island either Atlantis or Mansion marinas. Walking distance to express bus to Manhattan. Nice neighborhood too with shopping and restaurants.

Great Kills on Staten Island either Atlantis or Mansion marinas. Walking distance to express bus to Manhattan. Nice neighborhood too with shopping and restaurants.

staten island is an interesting idea. looks like my other half's commute to work would be fine but route home would potentially be too long... and my getting around would be difficult...

Wow! I was planning a trip this summer to NYC and was planning on trying to get a transient slip there.

When I bought my boat the previous owner kept it there. I believe for my 30 foot Sea Ray he was paying about $5000 for the year.

Any reason you don't want to do Liberty Landing? We spent a few days there year before last, it was very nice and not a million bucks. Ferry or subway (PATH) ride to Manhattan.

Wow! I was planning a trip this summer to NYC and was planning on trying to get a transient slip there.

When I bought my boat the previous owner kept it there. I believe for my 30 foot Sea Ray he was paying about $5000 for the year.

Are you referring to Newport or North Cove? In at least the last four or five years, you wouldn't have ever gotten anything at North Cove for that price. Their transient prices have varied from $6 on up with price increasing based on size of boat. The last time I checked, in 2016, they were only open for the boating season. That's why we stayed at Newport in April, 2016, North Cove wasn't open yet. As to Newport, my hope is that the yacht club that owns it just didn't want to spend the money in the fall but will spend it this spring for them to reopen. Newport was a perfect Jersey location as it was right beside a PATH station so 10-15 minutes to NYC, plus beside a mall. Of course after running all the customers elsewhere, recovery could be hard.

Any reason you don't want to do Liberty Landing? We spent a few days there year before last, it was very nice and not a million bucks. Ferry or subway (PATH) ride to Manhattan.

Liberty Landing would be ideal but its nearly $5,000 per month... they will not offer a monthly rate and only do weekly...

Are you referring to Newport or North Cove? In at least the last four or five years, you wouldn't have ever gotten anything at North Cove for that price. Their transient prices have varied from $6 on up with price increasing based on size of boat. The last time I checked, in 2016, they were only open for the boating season. That's why we stayed at Newport in April, 2016, North Cove wasn't open yet. As to Newport, my hope is that the yacht club that owns it just didn't want to spend the money in the fall but will spend it this spring for them to reopen. Newport was a perfect Jersey location as it was right beside a PATH station so 10-15 minutes to NYC, plus beside a mall. Of course after running all the customers elsewhere, recovery could be hard.

Work is underway on Newport and they would like to open in May but they do not have the OK and are not taking any reservations.

Work is underway on Newport and they would like to open in May but they do not have the OK and are not taking any reservations.

Yes, IGY forced a bit of a standoff, basically saying they were not going to operate it in unsafe conditions. I'm sure they'd been trying for a while to get the yacht club to react.

North Cove has dockage for 15 boats 80' and above, 1 for a 60' boat and 13 for boats a maximum of 45'. While it's expensive for all sizes, for any boat between 45' and 80' it's a real problem as a 50' boat, unless it got the one 60' dock, would have to pay for an 80' slip.

On Newport, previous rates were from $4.50 to $8 depending on length. One thing to look at as repairs are made and that is the condition of the wave attenuator as it is also critical to a decent stay there.

Yes, IGY forced a bit of a standoff, basically saying they were not going to operate it in unsafe conditions. I'm sure they'd been trying for a while to get the yacht club to react.

North Cove has dockage for 15 boats 80' and above, 1 for a 60' boat and 13 for boats a maximum of 45'. While it's expensive for all sizes, for any boat between 45' and 80' it's a real problem as a 50' boat, unless it got the one 60' dock, would have to pay for an 80' slip.

On Newport, previous rates were from $4.50 to $8 depending on length. One thing to look at as repairs are made and that is the condition of the wave attenuator as it is also critical to a decent stay there.

Ah I see, I knew there was more to the story. I am surprised they could not build a temporary way to access the marina and had to shutdown operations.

Regarding North Cove, I am told its 70' minimum, even less than 45', $9.6/foot per day with daily discount times 30 days = more than $20,000

Regarding North Cove, I am told its 70' minimum, even less than 45', $9.6/foot per day with daily discount times 30 days = more than $20,000
And separate from that, you better have zero-speed stabilizers if you stay there. I have seen people at North Cove trying to sit and enjoy themselves on 80+ footers wishing they were anywhere else. You can't beat the location but you most certainly can beat the level of protection.

Ah I see, I knew there was more to the story. I am surprised they could not build a temporary way to access the marina and had to shutdown operations.

I'm surprised too. However, sometimes there are things the managers of the marina, in this case IGY, isn't authorized to do and yacht clubs perhaps don't have the funds without a special charge to their members or have an internal disagreement. Operating marinas owned by others is the way much of the industry works, but I've known of conflicts in South Florida where a HOA voted to change the rules and forbid liveaboards against the operator. Then look at municipal marinas. Reminds me to ask if anyone has an update on Fernandina.

Oh, found it myself. The city debated repairing and reopening. Westrec has now taken over the management.

The outside dock is still closed, but…

Brett’s walkway is complete.
North 304′ of outside dock improvements and enhancements complete.
Repairs to Dock 4 complete.

A contract was awarded to Marine Utilities to complete all items necessary to certify the marina’s fuel system. Their work is scheduled to start on March 19th.

We will keep you posted .

Last edited:
And separate from that, you better have zero-speed stabilizers if you stay there. I have seen people at North Cove trying to sit and enjoy themselves on 80+ footers wishing they were anywhere else. You can't beat the location but you most certainly can beat the level of protection.

Yes, I'm amazed they have no attenuator of any sort. The entrance is just open to the river. The only protection is to get a slip much longer than your boat and ideally get just inside a much larger boat or just inside the outside dock wall. And, there are two slips you absolutely don't want. I don't remember their numbers.

Back
Top Bottom