Nordic Tug 37 max chain line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

Does anyone know how long a chain can fit NT 37 into a anchor chain box, and does not cause problems with the boat trim? The chain loop is DIN766 10mm.:confused:

NBs

Hi NBs,

I have 250 feet of 5/16" (8mm) HT (grade 43, or G4) chain spliced to 150 feet of 5/8" rope. Not sure how much more weight would be OK, but that amount of weight seems to be no problem. It does fill up the chain locker.

I think your 10mm chain weighs about 1.5x as much per foot. If you want a lot more length with not too much weight, I think 8mm G4 would be plenty strong enough. You would need to change the windlass gypsy wheel, though.

Another alternative might be to splice on some rope. That's what I did when I bought the NT, figuring 250 feet would not always be long enough for cruising BC and SE Alaska.

You might try a very simple test: 5/16’ Grade 43 HT chain weighs about 1.1 lbs per foot. Get a couple of friends about 200-250 lbs each. You stand on the dock. Have one of the friends walk out to the bow of your boat. You just added 200-250 lbs to the bow where the change would be stored. What happened to the pitch of your boat? Have the other one walk out to join the first or send a lighter person out to join the first. What happened then to the pitch of your boat?

I know this is a pretty gross test but it can get an idea as to what the added weight does to the boat.

Are you aware of the Southeast Nordic Tug Owners Association?

SENTOA.org

You can see if anyone else has asked this question or send out an inquiry to other members.

Hi,

Thanks for all the answers!

I position uses SENTOA the mailing list.

And a good idea to test the growing weight impact on humans.

I went through the TF and Sento old discussions, but this time I did not find the answer. I remember somewhere in the discussion seen here, the NT owner mentioned line lengths, so I asked that this time.

NBs

Back
Top Bottom