Documentary Stamp Tax in Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
I know some of you smart people will know all about this.

It was mentioned to us by our broker who was told by our lender that if our closing is in Florida that we will have to pay this tax. I’m not sure there was a clear communication there.

We do not live in Florida. Our loan will not be recorded or filed in Florida. We live in South Louisiana.

Our physical bodies will be in Florida when we sign the papers...therefore a Florida notary will have to notarize the documents. I don’t see how that should make us responsible to have to pay this tax.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

I'm not exactly sure of what you are talking about but I believe you can avoid FL sales tax if you get the boat out of FL within ten days or so.

Your best authority would be the tax people in FL.

I know some of you smart people will know all about this.

It was mentioned to us by our broker who was told by our lender that if our closing is in Florida that we will have to pay this tax. I’m not sure there was a clear communication there.

We do not live in Florida. Our loan will not be recorded or filed in Florida. We live in South Louisiana.

Our physical bodies will be in Florida when we sign the papers...therefore a Florida notary will have to notarize the documents. I don’t see how that should make us responsible to have to pay this tax.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Documentary stamps usually apply to real property and mortgages. Never heard of them being applied to a consumer loan for personal property. But they are levied at the point of the transaction regardless of your state of residence. I believe it is a miscommunication.

See this link: http://floridarevenue.com/taxes/taxesfees/Pages/doc_stamp.aspx

Last edited:
If you’re working with a marine title company for the re-documentation, I’d call them.

We are...David’s been dealing with all the paperwork and financial stuff. He’s out of town and is in meetings all day so he can’t do anything today to get clarification. I don’t have her contact info. It can wait...I just figured someone here would know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom