Vacuum gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
Still thinking of putting vacuum gauges on my two perkins 4-154 engine filters. The filters are Racor 120 series with the small R12/R13 elements. I checked on line and there are many vacuum gauges from $6 to $25. Is there any reason I shouldnt use one of these and save a lot of money. They are all about 2 1/2 inch gauges and not liquid filled. Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you

Here’s an 1.5” gauge sold as a vacuum gauge/fuel restriction indicator for $13.02 from Sure Marine. I added one of these when I changed filte housings on our generator. I can’t say I’ve really tested it but I trust Sure Marine and Gar-Ber.

Gar-Ber FRI Vacuum Gauge / Fuel Restriction Indicator

That's a really good deal @$13.

I ordered, and am yet to install, one of these. At $145 - a whole lot more than the Gar-Ber!

https://dentmarine.com/

It's curious that the scale is so much different between the two.
Yellow on the Gar-Ber is -7inHg, while it's -5inHg on the Dent model
Red on the Gar-Ber is -15inHG and -8inHg on the Dent

Quite a difference. Maybe the difference is between use on a Main engine vs. Genset?

My understanding on the Dent model was that it was scaled based on feedback from a Lugger/John Deere expert.

That’s a nice gauge with the high vacuum indicator and the 0-15 range. I’m not sure th Gar-Ber gauge is specific to the generator since the Racor/Parker gauges seem to be in the same 0-30 inHg.

I get better life from vacuum gauges by remote mounting them.
Even oil filled units will fail with severe vibration.

The bigger the dial, the better to read subtle changes. Not long ago I changed from a 2" to 3.5" on my fuel manifold and really like the expanded curve.
Liquid filled gauges last much longer and really need to be in places where there is a lot of pulsation or vibration in the mounting or material being measured. Gauges I attach to engines are always liquid filled. Also the gauge after the hp pump on my water maker.

To determine the amount of restriction in a filter two lines to a gauge are required.

One on the inlet , one on the outlet , called a differential pressure gauge,

Murphy has then with alarms if desired.

Shop for murphy differential press... on Google

Murphy 0‑15 PSI Mechanical ...
$137.16
Partdeal.com

Free shipping

Murphy 0‑30 PSI Mechanical ...
$149.22
Partdeal.com

Free shipping

0‑2000# Murphy switch gauge
$358.91
Peak Supply

Murphy 0‑30 PSI Differential ...
$137.16
Partdeal.com

Free shipping

Murphy 0‑50 PSI Mechanical ...
$149.22
Partdeal.com

Free shipping

That's a really good deal @$13.

I ordered, and am yet to install, one of these. At $145 - a whole lot more than the Gar-Ber!

https://dentmarine.com/

It's curious that the scale is so much different between the two.
Yellow on the Gar-Ber is -7inHg, while it's -5inHg on the Dent model
Red on the Gar-Ber is -15inHG and -8inHg on the Dent

Quite a difference. Maybe the difference is between use on a Main engine vs. Genset?

My understanding on the Dent model was that it was scaled based on feedback from a Lugger/John Deere expert.

The Gar-Ber product is intended and designed for oil burners on boilers, furnaces and oil fired hot water heaters. It can work on diesel too. I use a Gar-Ber filter and vacuum Gauge on my shops oil tank...

Don't discount the benefits of a "drag needle" gauge as it allows you to take peak readings even when the engine is off...

The hassle with a vacuum gauge on the filter is the reading can be anything that slows the flow , not just a plugged filter.

Collapsed feed hose, dirt in the tank pickup screen , half open tank selector valve , and a dozen more possibilities.

The hassle with a vacuum gauge on the filter is the reading can be anything that slows the flow , not just a plugged filter.

Collapsed feed hose, dirt in the tank pickup screen , half open tank selector valve , and a dozen more possibilities.

All of which require attention, and you should be alert to as early as possible. So all the more value in a gauge.

As mentioned in post 12 I'd recommend one with a drag needle, you can check it after shutting down and still see the highest reading over the day's use.
Don't forget to reset it.

0-2000# fuel gauge? Think you can skip that one.

Back
Top Bottom