DC Bus Bar Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuttouomo

Vessel Name
Lady A
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I have been upgrading some wiring as I continue to upgrade various electronics and other electrical items. The boat has 2 start batteries for the mains and genset and a 8batt house bank. There are bus bar distribution panels in the ER , lower helm and upper helm.
After so many years of PO upgrades and changes, the wiring is a little chaotic . My question is, some of the DC neg bus bars are cross connected, meaning the DC neg bar for the mains have wires to another DC neg bus bar feeding electronics that have their DC pos to the house bank.
Should all DC bus bars for the port main be isolated from the stbd mains DC bus bars and the house bank?
Should the house DC bus bars be isolated from the main engine buses?

Bill

No, al, DC buss bars are usually connected...and at one point connected to the bonding system and AC grounds.

Get a good book on boat electrical or google boat wiring diagrams.....you need a better understanding that there should be zero potential through all those systems.

Last edited:
+2
Also the tying negatives need to be sized so that if for example, you need to start the port engine from the starboard battery, that you don't overheat the cable. There are no fuses on the neg, so adequate size IS the protection.

Thanks guys, I have Calders book, but as usual have been over thinking this.

Bill

This is what I used to bring engines, bonding, house load, and the batt NEGs all together. Those are 3/8" studs.

2107.jpg

diver, that's on the list for the a remake of the entire bonding system.Currently the bonding strip in the ER is flattened copper tubing with self tapping screws into it. Been fighting the poor connections for a while and decided to just re do the entire bonding strip with adequate bus bars and new wire and proper connectors.

Bill

diver, that's on the list for the a remake of the entire bonding system.Currently the bonding strip in the ER is flattened copper tubing with self tapping screws into it. Been fighting the poor connections for a while and decided to just re do the entire bonding strip with adequate bus bars and new wire and proper connectors.

Bill

That Blue Seas buss is good for 600 Amps! Not just for bonding. OK for starting loads, lightning...:thumb:

My old boat had a solid bonding strip port and stb that was just nailed to the stringers. I changed to a perforated, tinned, heavier strip. The holes made for much easier connections. I used bronze/brass loose hardware and crimped ring terms.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom