How to Fix Table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
My Hi-Lo table in the salon will not stay low. It insists on being fully up no matter where the lever is. When I push it down it rises back to to high. I took it mostly apart and cannot find anything easy to fix.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Attachments

• A++.jpg
    A++.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 64
  • E++.jpg
    E++.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 66
  • B+.jpg
    B+.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 67
  • C+.jpg
    C+.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 78
  • D+.jpg
    D+.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 70
We know that the spring (likely a pneumatic cylinder) hasn't gotten stronger, so the hold-down mechanism...actually a valve...must be faulty.

Where the adjustment lever enters the square tube you may or may not be able to see inside the tube. At the very top of the pneumatic cylinder there should be a valve that is depressed when you move the adjustment lever. This is just like an office chair. Pressing down on this valve opens it and releases the "lock" function; the table rises.

If the adjustment lever is itself adjustable, you may be able to make it put less pressure on this valve. If not, it's likely that the adjustment valve has failed. If this is the case, you need to replace the pneumatic cylinder.

Unbolt the square tube from the tabletop and you should be able to see inside and look at this problem more clearly.

Toss it and use a seat lift unit.

These are about 5x stronger and not expensive.

Unbolt the square tube from the tabletop and you should be able to see inside and look at this problem more clearly.

I tried that today and sadly the steel plate that attaches to the table bottom is welded so you can't see any farther down the tube. :banghead:

But, :dance: I did find a sticker that says "Made in Germany". This probably indicates that it is so solidly built that I'll never be able to fix it.

Grind off the plate for repair, then weld it back on.

Back
Top Bottom