First night cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a fair amount of camping and backpacking when I was young. I would get annoyed by those that insisted on using a flashlight to simply walk down a dark trail. To me, it simply ensured that you would only see what the flashlight was pointed at. I much preferred to get around using my own night vision.

I have developed the same preference over the years while boating. I prefer to use my own night vision and get annoyed when other boats shine a spotlight into my pilothouse. However, I have use the spotlight on my boat a couple times when trying to read marina signs are dock numbers at night.

“I was always careful to point it up and away at the first sign of approaching boats.”

Unfortunately if these lights were more common, most busy harbors would be unnavigable on a Saturday night with everyone shining these things in people’s faces. Dont overestimate the level of common sense used by many people / boaters.

On our second-to-last cruise into San Francisco in predawn dawn-darkness we were followed by a cruise ship (QE) and a USCG cutter. Showed photos previously, but can't repeat thanks to TF and photowhatever.

“I was always careful to point it up and away at the first sign of approaching boats.”

Unfortunately if these lights were more common, most busy harbors would be unnavigable on a Saturday night with everyone shining these things in people’s faces. Dont overestimate the level of common sense used by many people / boaters.

The usefulness of a piece of gear is not determined by the proper or improper use by the ill informed.

Done a lot of night sailing in the past, including racing distance races on Long Island Sound. Tricky situations are mark roundings when a competitor is also rounding! Not only are you working on rule issues but also maybe getting the genoa back up and dousing the spinnaker. Sheets and guys hard to see too! In comparison, cruising's a breeze!

And try picking a wind shift at night!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom