Sydney/Aussie Events

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
A Ferry Naming
Sydney is getting six new catamaran inner harbour ferries. Controversially they replace the last traditional "Lady Class" ferries. With one exception they are being named after Sydney residents who contributed to the city. The last was to be eponymously called "Ian Kiernan", after a man who for many years has promoted and organized clean ups of harbour, rivers and creeks to remove accumulated rubbish and debris. He lost out to "Ferry Mc Ferry Face". I suspect this naming may yet revert. Marine Unions say they will refuse to operate the vessel. Ian Kiernan deserves on water recognition, Mr. Mc Ferry does not.

Last edited:
A Ferry Renaming

Reports are that Ferry McFerry Face(registered name Emerald 6, being the 6th Emerald Class ferry) is about to be renamed "May Gibbs", after the famous children's author. This may follow the Minister for Transport`s desire for a name children would like. Ian Kiernan, who did and still does, so much to clear up the mess in Sydney waterways, seems not to be "getting a guernsey". Almost anything is better than FMcFF,though I wonder if May Gibbs stories are still read by parents to young children.

Hopefully it is re-named. Despite their being a public poll on names the Minister decided to pick one himself that did not even make the shortlist for the second round of voting. And they wonder why politicians are not respected!

Last edited:
Hopefully it is re-named. Despite their being a public poll on names the Minister decided to pick one himself that did not even make the shortlist for the second round of voting. In the spirit of appropriate re-naming I like the suggestion that Minister Constance be re-named Minister Wanker.
Merit in those comments Brian. I tried to stay apolitical on this, having been burned on the (removed) other half of the post.
I`d next like to see the Rivercat ferries(reputed to have been designed on the back of an envelope in a previous Ministers office) replaced. They create odd underwater currents which suddenly appear without the water surface changing, undermining riverbanks, beaches, etc.
And continuing with ferries,if only the Govt would buy back the venerable South Steyne, now for sale. They won`t,and I doubt the Maritime Museum can afford to buy or maintain it. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...k=1757ba58d91c64ef18a48e30c772a755-1517372473

Bruce
I had second thoughts about being political, but you must have been quoting me when I decided to edit my post! C'est la vie!

The Sydney Rivercats look a bit odd. I thought they had copied the Brisbane Citycat design but it seems not. Not very attractive IMO. Maybe the Ministers pre-school kid traced a photo of the Citycat with a fat crayon? But there are similarities. Both are cleverly designed to produce no surface wake, so people think they are great. But, 30+tonnes moving through the water at 20 kn or more does displace water obviously. No frothy wake, but what the Port Authority here term 'power wave'.

And yes, they are destructive. I have little doubt those 'power waves' were largely responsible for the short service life of the floating walkway along the Brisbane River at New Farm. Sure, the floods took it away but it was never designed to withstand the pounding from the Citycats and the joints between the floating segments were a high maintenance item. The new walkway is on pilings, and hopefully above flood level.

No doubt these type of ferries are here to stay, hugely popular with commuters. But speed limits in sensitive areas and damage mitigation measures in other areas should be carried out. I'm not holding my breath for any Minister to actually do this however!

Brian, I didn`t know there were ferries in Brisbane similar to our Rivercats. Ours serve the Sydney-Parramatta route using the Parramatta river,which flows into the harbour. They do a lot of damage to the banks, but are popular with tourists, and commuters.
Fortunately the Emerald class of ferries is different, more like and larger than the "First Fleet" class of catamaran ferries,which serve the inner harbour routes. I`ve not heard reports of problems with them.
I know of 2 Rivercat incidents, one bisected a timber IG killing several people. Another ran over a moored powerboat ending up stuck on top of it,crew having put some equipment on top of moving steering gear which impeded steering causing the collision. The Inquiry repeated earlier findings the Govt owned ferry service lacked the expert staff to even know whether repair work habitually contracted out was done correctly or not. Our ferries are gradually being moved into private operation.

The City Cats have been around since early 2000's. Norman R Wright has been most form 2nd generation onwards. I don't recall who designed them, but he didd have a good eye for style.

Brisbane CityCats - Norman Wrightsons

Scotland Isl Annual Dog Swim Race

Knowing how many TFers love and cherish their dogs, I thought this piece of nonsense might be interesting.
Scotland Island is a residential island in Pittwater, in northern Sydney, with boat access only. It has permanent and holiday homes, often attracting artistic and "interesting" people.
The dog swimming race is held every year in the Christmas holiday period. Owners accompany their dog, swimming, on a kayak, a paddleboard, whatever they like. The course is 600 meters, between island and mainland Entry fee is a can of dog food and a can of beer. I`d like to see more of the dogs swimming, but you`ll get the idea, and everyone, dogs included, seems to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom