Expanded Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The powders are effective, but as noted, they create a big mess. The new, non ODP clean agents are $, but they won't leave behind the residue. I have a large cylinder on a fusible link for the ER , and several smaller ones top side.

I have several of the recalled types around the house, but all 3 in the boat are the larger metal handle type - not recalled.

So rather than consolidate their lists, they created two.
Actually 4 lists there are separate US & Canadian lists for pin type smaller ones used on PWCs

You see something like this and wonder about it's impact on the company. Well, Kidde is pretty much nothing more than a rounding error would be to United Technologies. They're one of 22 brands of the UTC Climate Controls and Security Division of UTC, which is one of 5 business units of UTC. The company has sales of $56 billion so this isn't even a footnote. The good is they can afford to do the right thing even though to the small company of Kidde this could have been devastating if they were operating alone.

Hmmm... I appreciate the thread, I checked all four of mine and all are under recall. Looks like I will have new extinguishers going into my next boating season :thumb:

And all 5 of mine are being replaced. You can even call Kidde customer support on Sunday. Had zero wait time.

I notified Kidde online last week (tues) and got one of my replacements today. That's quick! I had two of the recalled units so I'll see how long it takes to get the other one. One was red and the other white. Got the red one today. Ben

Please forgive the drift, but whether or not your extinguishers are included in the recall, if they are powder type as the recalled models seem to be, check for the powder packing itself solid. The pressure gauge will still read ok, but the solid powder won`t eject when operated.
Powder types need routinely removing from their brackets and shaking the powder to keep it usable. If anyone has better thoughts on maintenance please publish.
Bruce... just noriced your post so late to respond.
I do USPS / USCG recreational vessel safety checks. The info we are given has changed in recent years.
Your recommendation to shake up the dry chem was the old instruction. Now they are telling us that is not required nor recommended... would have to look back to see if any rationale was given.

I do advise boat owners to remove the FE from the mint periodically and inspect the nozzle. Some insects will block the openning w mud and create a real problem in an emergency.
This esoecially important for those mounted in open spaces... eg fly bridge

The newer extinguishers have a chemcal that prevents the powder from caking. The following is from the Vessel Safety Check Manual.

COMDTINST M16796.8A

Testing dry chemical extinguishers by holding the fire extinguisher inverted and solidly hitting the base of the extinguisher with the palm of the hand several times is no longer an acceptable practice, possibly resulting in clogging the discharge tube. Additionally, the use of flowing and anti-caking agents has eliminated the problem with caked powder, eliminating the need to rotate the fire extinguisher to feel the powder flowing.

Actually 4 lists there are separate US & Canadian lists for pin type smaller ones used on PWCs

I had the same problem here in Canada as 2 of my 4 Kidde extinquishers came with the boat from the US. Customer service cleared it up and 4 new ones on the way.

A few weeks ago I bought a small (17ft) trailerable boat to use here in Florida.
Last week I got around to checking the Kidde fire extinguisher that came with the boat.
I spent time on the web site and in the end I got a message that mine was not part of the recall.
OK, fine.
Today I get a FedEx delivery of a replacement fire extinguisher. (weird eh?)
And with instructions and a shipping label to return the old one.

Has anyone else been asked to return the old ones?

They didn't even respond to my inquiry about returns, but shipping to and from Alaska is a killer. I tried to give them away to the fire department for training, but the issue with the extinguishers was that they could come apart and throw high velocity projectiles when discharged. They said to just throw them in the dump...

Yes, they send a return Fedex shipping label with the new extinguisher. Call Fedex for a pickup. I don’t throw them away since they are classed as hazmat.

Sand and oxygen are also classified as hazmat... and paint and coffee apparently. I was the hazmat officer in the fire department I worked for, sometimes the MSDS forms could be considered humorous... The only thing I would consider hazardous about them is they are under pressure, but then again I wouldn't consider inhaling the powder when it was discharged either. Some things go without saying, like don't put dry cleaning bags over your head and try to breath!

I would have returned them if there was a shipping label in the box for sure!

Back
Top Bottom