Memorial Day weekend boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
So who's doing what?! *
smile.gif
**What's your boating plans for the weekend???

For us....kids are out of school this Friday. *I think I am more excited than they are! *Forecast is looking good so our weekend will either involve dropping a hook in a local cove and just goofing off and relaxing with the kids, or possibly, do some more exploring upstream on the river and see what we see and maybe try some new anchorages.

Either way....plan is to be on the water until Tuesday!

Woodsong wrote:
So who's doing what?! *
smile.gif
**What's your boating plans for the weekend???
*Lou and I are heading down to the boat at Hilton Head with four teenaged grand children.* It will be a very active weekend.* 4 bikes are going down.* The new dinghy will be thoroughly broken in.* Probably enough food consumed to feed a small army.* We love it.

Tony, hope you have a great weekend with that wonderful family.* Don't forget the Ivory soap to take a lake bath.

We just splashed Microship last weekend, after two months on the hard getting a complete topsides Awlgrip job, and bottom paint, including barrier coating. So we are anxious to get some boat time in. We will be heading out to the barrier islands off Mississippi and cruising for the next 4-5 days. It will be good to be on the water again. Just need to dodge all the whackos that will be out there.

Weather looks perfect here. Hope everyone has a great, and safe, holiday weekend. If you are going to be around Cat, Ship, or Horn Island, give us a shout.

Boat goes in tomorrow at 7:00am and we will then take it from yard to our home harbor/mooring (3 hr run). The wife's sailboat is already in so she's happy... and tomorrow I will be too. 3 hr run on what promises to be a nice spring morning (finally after 2 weeks of cold, rain, drizzle and fog). Friday its back to work. Weekend looks iffy weatherwise but I know where I am going to be. The dog and my wife can join me or not. I'm going to be on the water. No kids. They are grown and gone. No grandkids. Life is good again.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 03:48:46 PM

Just dreaming about being on the water as unlike most of the rest of you I have yet to venture into the purchase side of the equation. Please everyone enjoy where ever you are but Boat Safe!

The Coot will be unloaded from the Yang Ming Cypress Sunday morning at berth 55, 56 of the Port of Oakland.**Seems we'll need another boat to be able to board the Coot since there won't be access from either dock or ship(!).* Still working on the details as well as meeting with customs broker Friday.

We'll*motor*the Coot*to Richmond and commission it on Monday, then spend a couple of days testing systems and ending up in Vallejo.

img_51838_0_bb02a8bfa23ce21e308a9071fea8ed92.jpg

Moving Skinny Dippin' back up to the Neuse from Carolina Beach. Spending two or three days cruising and a day or two relaxing on the hook. Weather is going to be great here.

After two months of delays due to big floods, Monday begins a great Ad Venture.** I will be beginning my trip home with my new to me Californian 34LRC.** Boat name: Ad Venture.** My wife is a freelance advertising designer, thus the name.* I've *never boated this stretch of water.** I expect the Ohio to still be a few feet over flood stage, but down 15 to 20 feet from the crest early this month.* The Mississippi will still be a few feet over flood for the first 100 miles or so.* My experience* on the Miss. close to home is that the driftwood, and worse junk gets snagged fairly quickly when the waterlevel is dropping.* Current is my biggest concern.* I have to make roughly 225 miles over the ground with no fuel available, after I leave the lake.* Fighting a 6mph current for 125 miles of that* makes that a bit of a challenge.* I plan to carry a 55 gal plastic barrel of diesel for insurance.** I look forward to seeing the Birds Point levee that the Corps Of Engineers blew up to protect Cairo Il. from the flood crest, the St. louis Arch from the water etc.* I'll post pictures when I get back, or sooner if I can secure a Wifi signal.

I'll be travelling with my 83 y.o. Dad.* My Mom passed away a couple months ago.* After 53 years of marriage, getting my Dad out, will do him good.* My wife, couldn't get away for 2 weeks, and still have happy customers when she got back,* So it's Dad and me.* He can be a professional grump, it will be interesting.

I bought the boat in January in Nashville.* I spent two days on it in late February running it to Kentucky Lake.* I spent two very busy days on it last weekend checking things over, washing, packing, installing more battery capactity, and learning how things work.* It was time well spent.* I will be carring tools, but I have never taken a cruise of this length, in a boat that is so new and unfamiliar to me.* If it breaks or acts up I am going to have to learn quick how to get thru it** I think I have thought out all the contingency plans, but I'm going to find out.* Let the Ad Venture begin.

Craig,
Sounds like a great trip. I'd make sure you have a sea tow and/or boat U.S. towing membership active before you go just in case. If you did the 2 day run without incident you should be good to go on this one too hopefully!

Sounds like a lot of us are planning on being on the water this weekend which is a good thing indeed!

Funny you should suggest Tow insurance.* I just signed up for unlimited tow with BoatUS yesterday just in case.* If I have a problem below St Louis (St Charles Mo actually) I don't know where help would come from.* There is none on this stretch of the Miss.** I've been lucky I guess, but in 20 years of boating, I have never needed towing.* I have towed a few though.* I have got myself out of a few tough situations along the way.** I will be towing my 14' aluminum flatbottom jon boat with a 25hp in case I need to get to shore in the middle of nowhere.* It would tow the big boat in a pinch, but I wouldn't get very far on the available gas.* After reading the sad post on another thread, I think I'll pick up a carbon monoxide alarm tomorrow just in case.* I havenever heard of carbon monoxide problems with a diesel but wouldn't want to be wrong about that.

GonzoF1 wrote:
Moving Skinny Dippin' back up to the Neuse from Carolina Beach. Spending two or three days cruising and a day or two relaxing on the hook. Weather is going to be great here.
*Tom, going back to NW Creek or into New Bern?** We're headed to Ocracoke the following week for Ocra-folk* music festival.* Hope the weather holds till then.

-- Edited by ARoss on Thursday 26th of May 2011 05:45:49 AM

Hey Craig - I'm in Missouri. Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info if you run into any problems. I'd be glad to help.
The section of the Mississippi from Cairo to StL is void of places to stop or get much help as you stated. The Alton Marina just out of the locks north of StL is the best marina on the river.

Retired, working on the boat and not going anywhere.
Chip

Looks like the season is kicking off..
I have a few maintenance issues to take care of, but nothing preventing us from going out.
No specific plans yet but you can be sure we will be on the boat over the Memorial day weekend.

Curmudgeons stay off the water on holiday weekends.* Around here there are just too many either drunk or just plain stupid clowns racing around in thunder-boats.* I've been told that the creek I live on is the only one on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay without a speed limit.* I don't know if that's true or not, but we sure do get a lot of incredibly loud, fast boats blasting up and down the creek.

we are missing a yacht club cruise out to sausalito this weekend because it is my MIL's 80th birthday and the whole family is going to Monterey for a weekend of festivities.* we are very bummed* to miss out on a great boating weekend but she only turns 80 once!* we hope to take a weekend boat*trip the next weekend.

Holiday weekends are no different from a regular weekend on the SF bay as*we've been boating all winter so it is not*the first weekend out for all the yahoos.
wink.gif

Al... Headed to New Bern Grand. Can't handle the karaoke at NWCM and need reliable web access. Love to be back there for the people, but I would like some peace in the evenings and the job is still a thing I must do.

Driving 13 hours to Ft Lauderdale with the family to start getting our new to us Defever 48 ready to head up to the Chesapeake.

Daddyo wrote:
Driving 13 hours to Ft Lauderdale with the family to start getting our new to us Defever 48 ready to head up to the Chesapeake.
******** Thats what I call a great Memorial Day Plan.* Have Fun.**

********* JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 27th of May 2011 07:17:34 AM

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 27th of May 2011 01:13:55 PM

Daddyo wrote:
thumbsup.gif

Diver,

Me too but the big job is wiring the new windlass. Put in two new Fullriver AGMs and that was easy except getting the right cap screws for the terminals. The #6 battery cable wire is too big for regular crimps and too small for the big crimpers so I'm soldering all the terminal lugs. I've got plenty of batt cable but i'm going to have to splice some 14 gauge for the solenoid wires. Running all the wires opened up some other jobs that needed doing so I'm very busy. The rain came at just the right time! Good luck on yours. Keep an eye out* .....Murphy's around.

Hey, Mark!

YM Cypress is steaming north. Just passed point conception. Your Coot will be here soon...

Gee, I hope the Cypress isn't late.* We're supposed to be at Middle Harbor at 7:00 am and the ship's supposed to be docked by then.

She's doing about 22 kts. I'm not sure of the distance between her current position and SF. I'll guess 185 miles. She should be in the bay by 2:00am local time. Her listed ETA is 04:00. Lookin' good!

Mean while I'll just enjoy the unexpected rain while at anchor at the mouth of Steamboat Slough
cry.gif

We're/you're having near record-low temperatures.** Supposed to be sunny and a bit warmer tomorrow.* With 20 mph winds, we expect to make spray on the Bay.

We had a perfect 12-hour steam (our longest to date) from Carolina Beach to Morehead City on Thursday (although a lot of chop in Bouge Sound). Then a good 8-hour day from Morehead to New Bern with a few hour layover in Oriental to pull her out at Sailcraft to get a quick power wash and new zincs because Bess saw a lot of slime on the bottom thru Morehead's clear water. With the added bonus of a lot of chop on the Neuse Friday too. Spent one day at the new marina and today on the hook in Upper Broad Creek getting some sun in places that don't see the sun too often.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 29th of May 2011 06:04:30 PM

The Carquinez Coot was placed in Oakland Estuary waters today around 10:00 a.m., haven been off-loaded from the container ship YM Cypress a few minutes earlier.**Jim Dewitt, Bill Kimley, and I boarded that Coot from Dick Horn's chase boat.** We quickly disconnected the four crane cables*and started our trip to the Richmond Yacht Club's marina for commissioning.* Shortly after passing under the Bay Bridge, we saw our first waterbird.* It was swimming about 30 feet*distant and was a Coot!

We made a sidetrip to the Emeryville Marina to purchase fuel at $5 a gallon.* Continuing to Richmond, there was a good deal of bow spray heading into small-craft-warning headwinds, so the windshield wipers got some practice.

Upon arriving at the RYC marina, we began washing the boat.* There was a lot of diesel soot from being near the stern for 6,000 miles or so.* We also assembled the mast and installed the radar radome.* More washing, raising the mast, and hoisting the sails is planned for tomorrow (Memorial Day).

Jim DeWitt and his wife Sally*invited us, as well as Don and his wife*and two other Coot-admiring*couple-friends of Jim and Sally,*for Chinese take-out dinner.* The meal was excellent and hospitality was warm.

Would you believe my Chinese-cookie fortune said "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships were built"?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom