Marine Radio options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jovial_cynic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Zorro Del Mar
Vessel Make
1972 Tollycraft Tri-Cabin
When you have two steering wheels on a boat (top deck, main deck), what's typically done for the marine radio? I currently just have one downstairs, and if I'm piloting the boat from upstairs, I can barely hear it - certainly not well enough to respond if somebody is hailing me.

I've run a couple of scenarios, but I'm also interested in current setups that other people have.

Idea 1: One radio downstairs, and one radio upstairs. Each with their own antenna, or sharing the antenna by use of a multiplexer/duplexer or something.

Idea 2: Single radio, but with an external speaker/microphone that runs upstairs.

Other ideas?

I have one Standard Horizon downstair with a ram mike upstairs and another small VHF radio upstairs, each on its our antenna. This gives me two radios upstairs and one downstairs, love this setup as we are on the command bridge 95% of the time. One radio is always on 16 and the other on a working channel.

We also have a Standard Horizon upstairs at the helm, with a remote access mic in the salon downstairs. Like this:

Standard Horizon RAM3+ Remote Mic

(I have no connection to the vendor, that's just the first result that came up in my Google search to show you what I mean.) And then we also have a handheld radio as a back-up, and to take with us on dingy rides. We chartered a 50' sailboat last year and it had one radio at the nav station below. Couldn't hear it in the cockpit at all. I don't know how you get by on any larger boat with just one radio.

Last edited:
I have two radios with two antennas. On my sailboat I have the radio inside the cabin (as is typical) and then use a RAM in the cockpit. It works just fine. If it is easy for you you add a RAM for your radio, I would do that as it would be simpler, cheaper, and easier to install.

GME Australia make a VHF which has the main radio at the helm of your choice and a slave unit at the other, wired together. You also get an intercom button. Reputable manufacturer, not much help if you are in USA but good in Oz. Maybe there is a similar product across the Pacific.

Yep, that's how the Standard Horizon RAM mics work too, slave to the base unit with an intercom function. I would imagine there are other brands out there too with the same remote option.

When you have two steering wheels on a boat (top deck, main deck), what's typically done for the marine radio? I currently just have one downstairs, and if I'm piloting the boat from upstairs, I can barely hear it - certainly not well enough to respond if somebody is hailing me.

I've run a couple of scenarios, but I'm also interested in current setups that other people have.

Idea 1: One radio downstairs, and one radio upstairs. Each with their own antenna, or sharing the antenna by use of a multiplexer/duplexer or something.

Idea 2: Single radio, but with an external speaker/microphone that runs upstairs.

Other ideas?

The more, the better. Absolutely one up and one down is the minimum. Plus I'd recommend a spare portable that you can use if either has problems. By not sharing an antenna you pick up a little redundancy. Just don't even think of only having the downstairs radio.

The more, the better. Absolutely one up and one down is the minimum. Plus I'd recommend a spare portable that you can use if either has problems. By not sharing an antenna you pick up a little redundancy. Just don't even think of only having the downstairs radio.

Agree 100%.

As well as one at each helm, we have a handheld too. A fixed unit at one, a handheld at the other could work too, especially if managing expenses with a "new" boat.

I run with two separate free standing systems: radio, antenna., etc. Did not run the numbers but expect it might ultimately be less expense - and mainly appeals to my KISS predisposition. Redundancy and all that. (plus two handhelds thrown in for good meaure)

I have two base vhf totally separate from each other, both in cabin.
Usee handheld when up which is not often.
Both mains have auxiliary speakers mounted si I can detect which is yapping otherwise if both do the result is unintelligible. One speaker behind me, one fwd and way off to side.
can monitor 16 and another channel or talk to another vessel without interfering with primary unit.
Redunancy is important also as vhf and antenna can goof up without warning g. Happened to me twice and friends also.

We only have a helm on the flybridge. We have 2 VHFs on the flybridge both with seperate antennas. Also have a seperate antenna for the AIS transciever. I don't like sharing antennas between radios.

S/H 2200 with AIS receiver on the FB which feeds AIS to my chartplotter and also feeds a PA/Fog horn speaker. Icom M-127 at lower station. Each radio has their own independant antenna.
Sharing antenna is unnecessarily complex and expensive.

Last edited:
The cost and ease of installation of an independent, 2nd radio on the flying bridge, makes this a no brainer to me. You should have a back up anyway, even if only a handheld, again IMO.

I have a single radio at the lower helm and an extension microphone at the upper helm. This is how the PO set it up. I may replace the radio with one with a built in AIS system and if I do, I will install the new radio at the upper helm and the extension microphone at the lower helm. I operate mostly from the upper helm and the extension microphone doesn't include all the controls.

On the other hand, I may buy a separate AIS and continue using my current VHF.

Two fixed radios, two independent antennas. (Need a "long-distance" back-up on board anyway.)

And add a handheld.

We only have one helm, but have two fixed radios there anyway... plus a handheld. I can use each fixed VHF to monitor a different set of channels, 13/16 on one, 9 and others on the second.

-Chris

We have three independent systems. Two on the bridge as we steer from there 95% of the time and one at the lower station. Plus a handheld and the dingy has its own vhf and gps. Safety.

Thanks, everybody. I'm going to go ahead and pick up a second antenna so I can hook up this extra radio up top. The safety-by-redundancy system appeals to me.

One internally mounted Standard Horizon mounted in the bridge cabinet, and 2 RAM mike controllers, one up, one down. Just upgraded my antenna and ran direct to the radio rather than through a duplexer for AM/FM. Signal improved nicely. One handheld for whatever. Happy with the simplicity of this set-up..

and the dingy has its own vhf and gps. Safety.

For those who only run 50' from boat to shore, might not be important, but the way we explore in our RIB's, it's extremely so. We have VHF and GPS, actually even chart plotter on them. The VHF and GPS I feel are critical safety features. Dinghies can break down and it can be more dangerous than the main boat breaking down if they're in the wrong place when it happens.

A Garmin VHF200 at the express helm with a full-featured command mic in the tower and separate AIS-B. A SH handheld with GPS rounds out the package. I mostly operate from the express helm and the tri-watch feature works well. In the ship channel and ICW I also use the handheld for ship-to-ship comms. It's simple and works for me and the way I use the boat.

For redundancy, I carry a second identical radio new in the box that I haven't installed yet. I could change it out in minutes if I had to. The antennas are identical so I could switch to the AIS antenna in the event of damage. Not ideal, but workable for now. There's just no more room for stuff up there :facepalm:

We went with a radio at each helm, and a RAM mic from each to the other helm, giving us two radio capability at each helm. I liked having one radio on 16 and the other for the local working channel (bridges, marinas, fishing chit chat, etc) Really liked that set up a lot. Also had a handheld as a spare and as a dinghy radio. Alternative would be one radio and a RAM mic, and one handheld you kept with you.

We have a Garmin radio below with the corresponding extension mic on the flybridge. We also have an Icom radio downstairs with a separate antenna and two handheld Icom radios for the dingy, kayaks, etc. And for reasons I can't exactly recall right now, we have a spare, new and unused Garmin radio stored up in the v-berth.

We only have one helm, but have two fixed radios there anyway... plus a handheld. I can use each fixed VHF to monitor a different set of channels, 13/16 on one, 9 and others on the second
We do the same thing and primarily use the hand held for the dink.

I run 2 radios. On 13 & 16 normally. I have speakers on the flying bridge and remote mic's. I also have a VHF in my shore boat and carry a sat phone because some places I go the hills block VHF signals.

Any mounted VHF 25W will work for the boat with an OK antennas

2 hand held work for ship to shore communication , and provide a backup.

I'm happy with two totally independent icoms. Both at lower station. One has remote control head on fly bridge and the other a remote mike there. I like having two radios on different stations better than scanning. Also have a third station, additional remote mike, on one radio mounted in cockpit providing for three station intercom. That third mike adds a lot of versatility at minimal cost. Handhelds are great but I wouldn't say that they should really by considered as adequate back-up. Also agree with whoever said that a "real" radio in a tender is a lot better than a handheld if you use it, the tender, for more than just going from mooring to the dock or beach. Someday I'll get around to that, maybe.

I run 2 radios. On 13 & 16 normally. I have speakers on the flying bridge and remote mic's..

Don't radios have a dual watch feature over there

We have the one radio, only ever gets used to log on and off with CG for bar crossing or open water passage.
To much inane traffic the rest of the time.

Last edited:
Don't radios have a dual watch feature over there

We have the one radio, only ever gets used to log on and off with CG for bar crossing or ocean passage.

Yes, but if on the radio I can still hear the other channel. I like it better with 2. When a speaker blares, I know the channel they're on. Topside I have 2 mikes and 2 speakers, no dials. When near a rescue operation, I can maintain monitoring 16 and also monitor the active CG rescue channel. Sometimes info is coming across both.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom