Marine Trader: Tradewinds vs LaBelle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BerettaRacer

Vessel Make
120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
Hi, on a mid to late 80's Marine Trader sundeck style, does someone know the differences in design/construction of the different models aka: Sundeck vs Tradewinds vs LaBelle?

I think I've picked up something along the lines of the original sundeck had a keel, but the Tradewinds was a bit more of a semi-displacement and had done away with the prop protection keel. I haven't heard any defining attributes of the LaBelle.

So what is the defining characteristics of the different models?
Sundeck vs Tradewinds Vs LaBelle?

Thx

while I don't know the intricate details of which yard and differences between your model selections...
I recently looked at a mid 80's MT 43 that was represented as a tradewinds......it had a skeg keel to protect props...twin eng.

I recently looked at a mid 80's MT 43 that was represented as a tradewinds......it had a skeg keel to protect props...twin eng.

Yeah, supposedly there was a change somewhere in upper 80's that reduced the size of that keel, just one of the things I'm trying to get a lock on.

Also, sometime in later 80's, it seems the Tradewinds went to the Cummins 6bt's, might be in the same series change.

I'd prefer the Cummins over the Lehmans, but I like the protection keel too.

1990 TradeWinds

I had a 1990 39/43 CPMY TradeWinds. It was powered by twin Cummins 250 6BTAs and ZF220s. The keel was about 18" deep with 2 lifting strakes running about half way to stern. The keel ended 2/3 back, just behind the point shafts exited the hull. This boat was heavy built with over 1 1/2" solid glass under galley floor access where I put new transducer. The keel, while not trawler like, did make for good handling in cross wind. The drive line was fairly heavy compared to others I had looked at ... 1 3/4 shafts & 25X23 4 blade props.

A neighboring dock had an 1988 43/47 TradeWinds CPMY. The hull was a moded V ... no keel and 4 full length lifting strakes. It was power by 275hp Lemans. Interior layout was similar but 2 totally different hulls.

Attachments

• MarineTrader2.jpg
    MarineTrader2.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 102
Still no info on what makes a Labelle different from Tradewinds? Anybody?

Please indulge a new member and wannabe trawler owner/Looper. I've researched dozens of 25 - 35 year-old 35' - 42' Sundeck-style & Europa-style trawlers, and the history of Taiwanese-built trawlers. A 1987 Tradewinds 38 Sundeck in Michigan has captured my attention for a variety of reasons. I think it was probably built/imported by Marine Trader/Marine Trading International (MTI); so arguably, it could/should be called a Marine Trader Tradewinds 38 Sundeck? If not, can anyone tell me what the difference(s) between a Marine Trader 38 Sundeck and a Tradewinds 38 Sundeck is (are)? Just hull/keel design? Is anyone familiar with the Tradewinds 38 Sundeck's pros and cons? If I can buy a mid- to late-80's 40' Sundeck trawler, comparably equipped and in similar condition, for the same $50K +/- price, BUT the 40' boat was a lifelong year-round-use saltwater boat (not a six-months-of-the-year use freshwater boat), would anyone advise getting the bigger boat for the same initial investment? Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to share their knowledge, experience, and insight with me.

Please indulge a new member and wannabe trawler owner/Looper. I've researched dozens of 25 - 35 year-old 35' - 42' Sundeck-style & Europa-style trawlers, and the history of Taiwanese-built trawlers. A 1987 Tradewinds 38 Sundeck in Michigan has captured my attention for a variety of reasons.

did you go see this boat? i'm wondering what you thought of that dealer/yard if so?

Gmarr, before I could go see the (Marine Trader/Trading) Tradewinds 38 Sundeck trawler in Onekama, MI, the broker informed me the boat was under contract and had satisfactorily passed its survey. I was disappointed, to say the least.
Peace and blessings,
Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom