Favorite Boat Themed Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob Marley-"Don't Rock My Boat" :)

Shipping up to Boston! Great Irish tune.:thumb::rofl:

Agreed!!! A little DKM for the masses...

I'm a sailor peg
And I've lost my leg
Climbing up the top sails
I've lost my leg!

For me personally, A Pirate Looks at Forty hit me pretty good this past year.

Old Blue Chair by Kenny Chesney as well.

Home run, Hogwash. Brings back a picture of my youngest son (about 7-8) at the conn of a sailboat while running from Bohicket to Charleston with Kokomo playing in the background. He could just about see over the wheel. Good times!

Agreed!!! A little DKM for the masses...

I'm a sailor peg
And I've lost my leg
Climbing up the top sails
I've lost my leg!

For me personally, A Pirate Looks at Forty hit me pretty good this past year.

:rofl: K9. I think there is a wee bit of Pirate in all of us! So let's ship up to Boston and have a pint and some rum! :rofl::rofl:

Cheers.

H.

Last edited:
How 'bout Baby Beluga? Special for PNW cruisers as Raffi lives on Saltspring Island, where you might meet him at the Saturday Market, as we did this year.

Much too gross to repeat here but when growing up in UK, there was (and probably still is) a ditty that began with:

"Aboard the good ship Venus, by gad you should have seen us.
The figure head was a maid in bed ..............."

i shall leave the rest to your imagination!! Those old sailors were horny after being at sea for months/years at a time!!

If you think Canada's contribution to folk singers with a maritime flavour begins and ends with Gordon Lightfoot, you're sorely mistaken. Stan Rogers is the real deal; so much so that a song of his saved a soul lost at sea:

The Mary Ellen Carter...if only we could get Stan to rise again...

If you think Canada's contribution to folk singers with a maritime flavour begins and ends with Gordon Lightfoot, you're sorely mistaken. Stan Rogers is the real deal; so much so that a song of his saved a soul lost at sea:

As I saw this thread, I was going to suggest "Northwest Passage" or "Barrett's Privateers." Two of my favourites.

Jim

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet--

Son of a Son of a Sailor. Jimmy Buffett

Jolly Roger

on the little known Rodger Mcguinn ( from the Byrds) album Cardiff Rose
.......JOLLY ROGER......

AYE LADS...the Best pirate song ever sung!

I'd wager not a one of ya hav heard it.....the song takes you back in time...

Not to mention Garnet.

Since AlaskaProf already mentioned my favorite (the instrumental from Master and Commander,

https://youtu.be/mbNiGcSLmz4

Simply beautiful music.Terrific movie to boot.

Here's another classic, the soundtrack from the Onedin Line.(A BBC series, early 70's I think)

https://youtu.be/Vx7RWW36wes

Good choices Andy, I loved the Master & Commander movie and the music, and later enjoyed all the books, (13, I think). Edit - actually 21 when I checked the iPad library.

I also enjoyed the Onedin Line, and wifey got me the boxed DVD set, which I am working through now.

But, like many others mentioned, the Beach boys, "Sloop John B", is hard to beat. Maybe because it was one song I knew the guitar chords might have a bit to do with it..? :D

Last edited:
I used to play the BCS 1 on my clarinet as an exercise. Beautiful on any instrument, as is the Chaconne for violin. Especially lovely for the guitar.

Another vote for Cool Change by the Little River Band, though one could argue it's not really boat specific. More about the experience out on the water. A lovely tune.

Ive always been a cowboy, here in Montana. Etta James is golden. Thanks

Well if we're going to get all crude and lusty and pirate-y and mention the Good Ship Venus, then there's always Barnacle Bill the Sailor. Perhaps the funniest, most versatile song on the water, but only when you're on the second bottle of wine sitting around the cockpit table with friends at night, and no minors within hearing distance. You can make it as crude and shocking as you want and curse like a pirate, or you can do a cleaner version. There's even a 1928 version that's so cleaned up it's almost PG rated. I'm not sure there's another song on earth that lends itself to making up your own additional verses as easily as Barnacle Bill. And the best performance of all is if you have women on board to sing the "fair young maiden's" parts and the guys sing Barnacle Bill's replies, but only if you master that lecherous, guttural "Weeeeeelllll!!..." or else you completely lose the effect.

I think by the time we got to Tod Inlet in BC on the 5th day we had composed 20 extra verses of Barnacle Bill although no sheep were actually harmed, the lyrics were all fictitious.

Well if we're going to get all crude and lusty and pirate-y and mention the Good Ship Venus, then there's always Barnacle Bill the Sailor. Perhaps the funniest, most versatile song on the water, but only when you're on the second bottle of wine sitting around the cockpit table with friends at night, and no minors within hearing distance. You can make it as crude and shocking as you want and curse like a pirate, or you can do a cleaner version. There's even a 1928 version that's so cleaned up it's almost PG rated. I'm not sure there's another song on earth that lends itself to making up your own additional verses as easily as Barnacle Bill. And the best performance of all is if you have women on board to sing the "fair young maiden's" parts and the guys sing Barnacle Bill's replies, but only if you master that lecherous, guttural "Weeeeeelllll!!..." or else you completely lose the effect.

I think by the time we got to Tod Inlet in BC on the 5th day we had composed 20 extra verses of Barnacle Bill although no sheep were actually harmed, the lyrics were all fictitious.

These two songs came from WWI and WWII. My brother and I bought "Songs From the Front and Rear" for my dad the year it was published. He laughed like a drain! He was in RCAF Bomber Command during "The War". 'Nuff Said! The lyrics of both of these songs are in the book.

https://www.amazon.ca/Songs-Front-Rear-Canadian-Servicemens/dp/0888301715

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom