Thoroughfare Creek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
Has anyone been up here? About mile mark 375 on ICW. That may be the best spot some friends will get to hide out. It's off the waccamaw river.

I have been there but not for a hurricane hole if that's what you're talking about. It's decent anchorage with a nice swimming beach. There is a series of canals off the creek before the swimming beach and if you go all the way in and take the last canal to the left it leads to a big lagoon which is another local hangout. The risk there would be trees falling and blocking your exit.

It's all on your charts.

I have anchored in Thoroughfare Creek and dragged anchor in the middle of the night during a storm. One of my least favorite experiences. At the time we had a GB 36 with a 35# CQR. I doubt a newer design anchor would have done that but who knows? I would suggest they go to Enterprise Landing about a mile south of Osprey Marina. That is very protected.

I second the Enterprise Landing area or the West side of an island just North of Enterprise . It is just before the Waccamaw ICW junction going N from Enterprise.

I dont post much, but I will add my 2 cents. This is basically my backyard. A decent option for the purpose. My suggestion is: do not go inside the canals...the entrance can be shallow and tight based on the tide. The further up the creek the better. Past the sand dune and around the corner is preferable based on prevailing winds. Good cell signal too. Options? Bull Creek would work too and Enterprise as others have said. My last observation, dont swim... some people do but its gator country and there are some decent sized ones too. Good luck!

It's pretty up there, but if I had to pick a storm anchorage in that area I'd opt for somewhere up Bull Creek.

Back
Top Bottom