Made a tool tote from old 5 gallon gas can

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Can had a cracked top, so I cut it off.
Then used a nylon rope for a handle.
Just drilled small hole and a knot in the rope.
Being rectangular, and deep it also does well as a wash bucket.
I have been toting it around a while.

y4mcw_D4efFgC_4T08LIE05_13_GjmozAo0HXsc6Rw6ZQGKc7nJuD83_E16wJykqm-FdXATW_jw8AUFyrBpglP61aBa0qvsNJTOLqg4shfE5-ajmaMelQ8mj8T38YIpOT-H8hwvRQSZg_TW7TQD6a1dsWTHVnsD26E2qR_EX8SZK8q72UM6eKBu9HrqzCx2iYZSB65gZvzW3HT06Dg07YWQpg

My cat just had to be there.
y4mNWMy54DPT4I_cC6SlKOL7T59DPejeA1Hm6tv7GfX4rZXq2XhhXzqJvBN94ih28lv8QbfZmzHvNAGq5DeteuRJkLPq5M3hdwwc2Ikayj5S33nCee2SW17cPJmWk7oGZHgVAGjzEly3x7IembSim7QITQI_UYcjKvRRDDpYhPP6e5yIi4m06ADiMDaxCEcb79uiM5fl_SQqxnbHdUj0Jqzlw

Great idea...

If y'all ever go up a mast on a sailboat having a second tote or bag makes retrieving stuff you forgot much easier incidentally.

Yours being square is super. It will fit in corners much better than a round tub. Thanks for the idea.

That cat loves boxes.
Another use, pet storage carrier.

Great idea Mate. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

H.

The plastic on these cans is plenty thick to take the abuse.
About 3 times the thickness of a cheap plastic round bucket.
It is more like the thickness of a horse water bucket, about 1/8 inch thick.

The rope makes an easy to use handle. I like how it also works as a scrub bucket when I wash the boat. The can I used was flat sided, really an ideal shape being rectangular.

I see these tossed out, this one was thrown away too.

Last edited:
We had a cat at home for years. My wife would buy cat litter in large rectangular plastic containers. They were fantastic on the boat. Being rectangular they stored well. They had a lid and would stack well. They had a handle on them making them easy to carry (did use them to send stuff I had forgotten up the mast on my sailboat).

Fortunately, the cat died. Unfortunately, there went my continued supply of these useful buckets.

I improved the handle. It was digging into my hand when heavily loaded.
I cut section of grey plastic 3/4 conduit and slipped it onto the rope.

I think Home Depot sells a canvas apron for a 5 gallon bucket that makes it a very handy tool caddy.....I'll look for a picture....

Attachments

• 9185YnFieFL._SL1500_.jpg
    9185YnFieFL._SL1500_.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Get a cat. Not a catamaran, a real cat. Buy cat litter that comes in buckets. You'll soon have a large collection of useful square buckets.

Our small boat is a catamaran. I forget where I got it but I have one of those cat litter boxes with the hinged lid. I screwed the chartplotter to the lid, have the battery inside, and a small solar trickle charger on the hinged part of the lid. I'll have to post a photo next I'm there. It's also handy for the handheld radio and other small boat goodies that you don't want to grow legs.

theres some pun here re: catamaran, cat litter.....cant think of anything. I guess the cats got my tounge

When we go to take the boat out, you just grab lifejackets, grab the bucket, and you're ready to roll - all required safety gear included.

hooray for buckets!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom