Shell Rotella oill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comodave

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Black Dog
Vessel Make
Formula 41PC
I have twin Lehman SP225s. The previous owner had used Rotella T 15W40 oil for the last 15 years, so I have been using it also. I now see a Rotella T4 as a new version of the oil. Has anyone used the T4 and is this a direct replacement for the old T version? The T4 says it is a heavy duty diesel oil.

I think T4 is just a relabel of the normal 15-40. T5 is syn blend, T6 is syn, T1 mono grade.

Shell Rotella and Chevron Delo is found in the majority of both diesel pleasureboats and workboats. If you want to buy a good brand name product here's your chance. And if I wanted to stray I'd go Valvoline.

Rotella is all I use. I also noticed that it had been revised to T4. When I looked up the new specs it still seems to cover the same older classifications as before. So I'll keep using it.

Ken

Thanks for the info Ken, that is what I was looking for.

Shell Rotella and Chevron Delo is found in the majority of both diesel pleasureboats and workboats. If you want to buy a good brand name product here's your chance. And if I wanted to stray I'd go Valvoline.

Can't get Rotella in Australia and I am about to drop my oil and was about to get 60 litres of Valvoline.
Cummins guy who works on mine advised against it.
Said for mine, delo (caltex here) or castrol rx.

Observations from 20 years working on my model is that they guzzle and leak shell and valvoline product even though the specs are essentially the same.

Castrol rx is easy to get and pretty cheap so that's what it'll get.

Here's a radical approach to engine oil selection...

If it's in the correct weight range called for my the engine manufacturer, AND

If it meets or exceeds the API or other standard specs (CJ-4, for example) called for my the engine manufacturer, AND

It is a reputable oil manufacturer, THEN

Use it.

I doubt anyone, anywhere, can show that an engine failed because they used Delo instead of Rotella, or instead of Castrol, or instead of Valvoline.

Can't get Rotella in Australia and I am about to drop my oil and was about to get 60 litres of Valvoline.
Cummins guy who works on mine advised against it.
Said for mine, delo (caltex here) or castrol rx.

Observations from 20 years working on my model is that they guzzle and leak shell and valvoline product even though the specs are essentially the same.

Castrol rx is easy to get and pretty cheap so that's what it'll get.

That is interesting, in the USA Cummins specifically recommends Valvoline Premium Blue 15-w40 oil. All of their preferred oils are Valvoline...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 165
That is interesting, in the USA Cummins specifically recommends Valvoline Premium Blue 15-w40 oil. All of their preferred oils are Valvoline...
Bruce

But that is specific to extended drain intervals, if you want to go that route. The engine manual (at least my QSC manual) just lists engine oil weight and specification (the Cf, CJ etc. designation) as the requirement.

I have used the Valvoline Blue, it is alittle harder to find. Now using Rotella.
Delo 400 also widely available.

............... Observations from 20 years working on my model is that they guzzle and leak shell and valvoline product even though the specs are essentially the same..... .

If your engine guzzles and leaks oil, the problem is not with the oil or the brand of oil, it is with your engine. That's assuming of course that the oil you are using meets the engine maker's specifications.

Simi60 wrote;
"Cummins guy who works on mine advised against it.
Said for mine, delo (caltex here) or castrol rx."

What a Cummin's guy or a Yanmar guy or a mechanic recommends is not worth much. These are specs that only a manufacturer has the knowledge to dictate. Engineers only have the knowledge to specify what to use.

Manufacturers almost never recommend by brand name. For the record though Castrol and Chevron are excellent products.

In my area, Rotella is about $14 per gallon at Walmart. $24 per gallon at West Marine and I've seen it as high as $39 per gallon at marinas.

When I leave on a cruise I carry enough with me for all the oil changes I anticipate.

About $17 per gallon at Advance Auto. Suprising how many are accesible near the AICW from Jersey to Florida.

But I still try to stock up at Walmart.

When I had my Cummins 6BTA I used Valvoline Premium Blue as it was what was recommended in the owner's manual.
It was no different in cost than Rotella and it was in stock at every local NAPA store.
Now I use Rotella in my Lehman. Best price I have found is at Tractor Supply.

"When I leave on a cruise I carry enough with me for all the oil changes I anticipate."

Carry MORE! an accidental flooding may require 2-3 flushes .

Oil filters and fuel filters are cheaper by the case.

Most oils are back compatible so the "newest" will be fine , but most changes are to assist exhaust products , and cleaning/treating the exhaust.

If your antique requires CD oil going to a newer oil probably just means a higher percentage of additives that your engine doesn't require and reduces the volume of lubricating oil in the blend.

Last edited:
My last purchase of Delo 400 15-40 was in newly designed containers labeled T-4, it made me wonder what (if anything) had changed from the previous formulation. It was all they had in Delo 400 15-40 and all of the 5 quart as well as the 2 1/2 gallons size containers they had were marked the same. The 2 1/2 gallons size gets me about two quarts free over the 5 quarts size containers.

Has anyone used Miles oil. Meets all spec's but much cheaper.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170831-142845.jpg
    Screenshot_20170831-142845.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 100
If your engine guzzles and leaks oil, the problem is not with the oil or the brand of oil, it is with your engine. That's assuming of course that the oil you are using meets the engine maker's specifications.

My engine doesn't seem to use oil and doesn't leak any currently.
He said if I wanted to speak to some owners who had these shell/valvoline issues specific to my model he'd be happy to put me in contact.
As Castrol RX is pretty much the same price and easily available I couldn't be bothered checking, I'll just trust his observations in the industry.

And yes, castrol rx meet spec as does valvoline super diesel.

Last edited:
Bruce

I mentioned that to him.
He said my engine even though newish build, is old tech and likes an older style oil if that makes any sense.
Said the newer cummins run the valvoline product fine.

Up until a few years ago I had an 1975 vintage car that I put in for a service not at my usual mechanic and they put semi synthetic oil in it.
That engine developed oil leaks, used some and sounded rattly.
When we changed back to a cheaper product advertised as "for older engines" the leaks eventually stopped and it sounded happier.
Don't know why, just the way it was.
I assume my new/old cummins is the same.

I doubt anyone, anywhere, can show that an engine failed because they used Delo instead of Rotella, or instead of Castrol, or instead of Valvoline.

Had always been my way of thinking before as well.

Failure no, little niggly issues, maybe.
See my comment above re: my older car.

Pretty much, if it meets the specifications, it should do the job.

That said, considering the cost of a replacement engine, I would tend to shy away from Walmart's own brand and stick with the major name brands. And also stick with the same brand each time if possible.

I have used Delo 400 in my engine as it is easy to find and often find on sale.

With my new engine, I will do the same but I am going to start doing oil analysis with this engine.

Rotella is sold at Walmart.

Attachments

• Wal-Rotella.JPG
    Wal-Rotella.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 77
  • Wal-Rotella T6.JPG
    Wal-Rotella T6.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 74
The manual for my Hinos recommends 10 different brands including Delo, Castrol and Rotella. I'm using Delo because it seems easier to find than Rotella. In fact, I saw the Delo in cases of three one-gallon containers at Costco this afternoon. Same price as Walmart give or take a few cents per gallon.

The manual for my Hinos recommends 10 different brands including Delo, Castrol and Rotella. I'm using Delo because it seems easier to find than Rotella. In fact, I saw the Delo in cases of three one-gallon containers at Costco this afternoon. Same price as Walmart give or take a few cents per gallon.

I'll have to check that out. I refuse to go to Walmart, but am happy to go to Costco.

I'll have to check that out. I refuse to go to Walmart, but am happy to go to Costco.

I, on the other hand, have a problem with a store that requires me to pay to shop there. Walmart works for me. Walmart stores are far more common than Costco anyhow and that matters when you are cruising and staying in small towns.

With the dividend ck, Costco is paying me to shop there. Not the greatest place to buy oil though, never know what they will be stocking. Walmart always has had Rotella.

In post #18 I asked if anyone had any experience with Miles Oil Company, Nobody's commented, Surely someone has an opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom