Water in Keel - Tachaiao CT35 Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macgyver

I've been having a problem with water infiltrating around the bulkhead by the packing gland. I resealed the packing gland to the shaft tube and installed a new shaft and cutlass bearing. After putting the boat back in the water, after about 10 minutes, I see water seeping in at the bulkhead by the packing gland. I removed the boat from the water again and it seems like a large amount of water continues to run out of the shaft tube and cutlass bearing.
Is it possible that water is filling the keel? Is this correct? If not, how could water be entering?
The boat has a fiberglass shaft tube that seems to be composed of 2 segments. Could the tube be leaking at the joint between segments?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Is there an inspection/access cover which you could remove to get a look inside the keel?. My boat has one under the floor of the aft cabin, accessed by a hatch in the floor it is held in place by about 6 screws. Sometimes water will accumulate in mine but only a few inches which I pump out every couple of years. Condensation, seepage, or pinhole in the shaft tube I don't know.
If there is a Taichaiao Owners group or website they may be able to give you more information
good luck!

water in keel

There R 2 large access hatches in aft bedroom,which reveals a tunnel that houses the stern tube.laying on the floor,looking toward the bow there is a bulkhead that separates the aft compartment from the engine room , water is seeping in where bulkhead meets the tunnel. I suspect water is filling tunnel and keel ,but dont know how it is entering. possible shaft tube leaking?

Some single engine trawlers the portion of the keel aft of the packing gland is designed to flood.

Back
Top Bottom