Marine radio and Garmin both hooked up to same gps antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nordic Star

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nordic Star
Vessel Make
1969 Pilot House Trawler
Rookie question, my marine radio has its own antenna. My GPS map 182 has 2 inputs, one to the gps antenna and the other goes up to the back
of the marine radio. Neither of them are getting a gps signal. I am confused as to why the gps map 182 runs to the back of the radio. Power? I am majority confused.

Does your VHF radio have DSC?

Bruce is hinting at the same thing - the connection is probably to give the radio a gps signal. Go in the menu for the radio and select the NMEA in/out and select 4800 baud. Try that, it is the usual connection speed if there are two channels in the plotter, if one channel, select 38400 baud. YMMV. The radio should show a position on the display, then you can use DSC.

None of this makes sense, does it? You need to read the radio manual to see what features it has.

But you say you have no GPS data at either device? So the Garmin doesn't show your position, lat/lon?

I agree with other that the wire from the Garmin to the VHF is probably for feeding GPS position data to the VHF. But if the Garmin doesn't show GPS position, then I'd start there to sort out what's wrong.

The Garmin 182 is known to corrode at the round connector for the power and data connection (not the antenna) remove the connector and clean with tuner cleaner / WD 40 or the like and an appropriate sized drill bit.
Good luck.

Dielectric grease in all connections should help more to seal I would hope in the water?

It's probably what others have said. The data on your Garmin 182 needs to be turned on. It's an early model so I don't think theres a high speed baud setting. Just make sure the data port it set to "nmea 0183" & not to "garmin data transfer". The blue wire from the garmin plug connects to the radio input & the brown garmin wire connects to the radio output (though the brown wire connection is not necessary to have position on your vhf). Not sure what radio you have but the nmea input & output negatives would be connected to the 12vground.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom