Tired of Australian winter weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusCan

Guru
Vessel Name
Kokanee
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
It seems everyone is getting ugly weather.

Looking at the forecast over the next week, it appears as I'm not going to get the boat out either.

The windy.com map looks fairly colourful at the bottom of Australia at this time of the year. When they are predicting wave height to be more than my boat length it's definitely time to stay in the marina.

https://www.windy.com/?waves,2017-08-05-21,-31.354,145.986,3,m:cCLajVL

It seems everyone is getting ugly weather.

Looking at the forecast over the next week, it appears as I'm not going to get the boat out either.

The windy.com map looks fairly colourful at the bottom of Australia at this time of the year. When they are predicting wave height to be more than my boat length it's definitely time to stay in the marina.

https://www.windy.com/?waves,2017-08-05-21,-31.354,145.986,3,m:cCLajVL

WHAT??? Tired of your winter? Come to try ours, you will love yours :D

L.

I've spent many winters in western Canada. At least your water is flat enough to boat on during winter.

Attachments

• ice-sailing-bsp-27641453-500x485.jpg
    ice-sailing-bsp-27641453-500x485.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 41
August is typically windy in Australia,mostly westerly/south westerly. Gale force is not unusual. There is nothing but ocean between South Australia and the Antarctic (except for Kangaroo Isl). And of course the seas build, right now NSW state has warnings for heavy coastal wave action, the kind that plucks unwary(aka stupid) rock fishermen off the rocks, as they recede. And for us, it`s cold, 6C in Sydney this morning, and -5C in Canberra( hot air generated in Parliament soon raises that).
Warmer weather is coming,yay!

I'm not happy either. I've had to wear shoes & socks and long pants for the last few weeks. At least it gets to low-mid 20's during the day, so bearable!

Careful what you wish for. It's been the hottest July on record which doesn't bode well for summer. We are very glad we moved to Tassie as we hate hot weather. Even most winter days down here are beautiful.

Wifey B: Well, if you didn't do winter backwards you wouldn't have these problems. But upside down and backwards and you just really anger Mother Nature. :rofl:

I visited my daughter in Port Douglas last week. Nice weather up there at this time of the year. It looks like a nice boating area (except for the crocs and stingers). Here's a couple of the local boats.

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 39
In Southern Tasmania, Cygnet bay, the weather is beautiful, at the moment ! ! !
14c, flat calm and clear skies, makes winter very tolerable.......good
cruising grounds around Bruny Island and the Huon river,
yet so few boats being used in winter.
All the sunbirds are up in the Whitsunday islands, where the winter is amazing ,warm temps, warm seas and cloudless skies, its a sort of Caribbean in the South Pacific, with the GBR just a few miles out to the east.
Huey willing, we will be there next winter, but for now enjoying
a snug harbour and a hot chocolate as we finish up the rebuild
on 'Finisterre' our 65 tonne ex charter boat.

Back
Top Bottom