Entec 4200b troubleshooting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
Hello all,

Restitution has an Entec 4200b Gen set (Farymann?)
It will start, run for 10 minutes, then randomly shut off without coughing or shuddering.

This unit has a temp sending unit and oil sending unit that activates a solenoid to shut off fuel if either are not satisfied.

I tested the head and cooling temperature and it runs at 140 or so degrees, but shuts off anyway. I'm unsure how to test the oil sending unit?

Has anybody had this issue. I thought of shunting the temp sending unit while continuously checking the temp to see if perhaps this sending unit is defective. Perhaps do the same with oil sending unit, but I would need to assure that the engine is getting oil?

Other notes: Oil is full (15w 40), antifreeze is full, heat exchanger is working and cleaned out, I installed new raw water and antifreeze impellers.

Thoughts?

Sam

Last edited:
If it shuts down suddenly, it does sound like it is being "told" to shut down. In addition to the temp or oil sending unit. The run/stop circuit is another place to look. Do you know if that unit needs power to run (a run solenoid) or power to a solenoid to stop?

As a starting point, you could connect a meter across the fuel solenoid and watch it while the generator is running until it stops to see if that is being (de)activated. Usually a fuel solenoid needs power to allow fuel flow. If so, a poor connection in that circuit may be enough to keep it from staying open.

Oil sending units for shutdown or alarm purposes are normally just switches which close when there is a minimum amount of oil pressure - usually 5-7psi. So when not running it should be open, when running it should be closed.

Ken

Last edited:
Thank you ken, I hope to chase this issue down exactly as you discussed. I'll let you know how this goes.

Sam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom