Vive le France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Happy Bastille day for all those celebrating,

I concur with this thought. It is also the 100th year anniversary of the ending of WWI. It was nice that they included that in the celebration, and honored the US efforts in that war.

We also owe the French a debt because the French fleet blockading the entrance to the Chesapeake kept reinforcements and supplies from Cornwallis' troops at Yorktown. This greatly hastened the end of the Revolutionary War.

Thank you RT F and Don for thinking of my country, I much appreciated.

Bastille Day - France’s biggest public holiday - is known as Le Quatorze Juillet, "the 14th of July", or La Fête Nationale, "National Day". Europe’s oldest annual military parade is held on the Champs-Élysées in Paris each year, while French people celebrate with fireworks across the nation.

This year, France's annual Bastille Day parade turned into an event high on American patriotism, marked by a warm embrace between our Guest of Honor President Donald Trump and President Emmanuel Macron.

Indeed Bastille Day parade this year has dual symbolism: Not only does it celebrate July 14, marking the storming of the Bastille prison in 1789 which helped spark the French Revolution. It also commemorates the 100th anniversary of the United States' entry into World War I.
As well, a bi-national fly-past was designed to symbolize the current military cooperation in the Middle East and elsewhere.

President Macron, in a speech near the end of the event, thanked the U.S. for intervening in World War I and said the fact that President Trump was at his side is the sign of a friendship across the ages. President Macron also said that the U.S. and France are firm friends and this is why nothing will ever separate us, both countries must now stay united and work together. President Trump said relationship with France is stronger than ever.

Then President Trump and President Macron walked down from the tribune where they were sitting to stand in front of giant French and American flags that were unfurled by soldiers. The two men shook hands and embraced, then clasping their hands together for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_5721.jpg
    IMG_5721.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5675.jpg
    IMG_5675.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5683.jpg
    IMG_5683.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_5688.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5696.jpg
    IMG_5696.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5691.jpg
    IMG_5691.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5705.jpg
    IMG_5705.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5713.jpg
    IMG_5713.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5710.jpg
    IMG_5710.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 53
I concur with this thought. It is also the 100th year anniversary of the ending of WWI. It was nice that they included that in the celebration, and honored the US efforts in that war.

We also owe the French a debt because the French fleet blockading the entrance to the Chesapeake kept reinforcements and supplies from Cornwallis' troops at Yorktown. This greatly hastened the end of the Revolutionary War.

Thank you very much my dear Mr RTF.

One little correction about the history timeline though... It is NOT the 100th year anniversary of the ENDING of WWI. It is the 100th anniversary of the engagement of US soldiers in the WWI. That is why US soldier were going along with French soldier in Paris today. 100th anniversary of the end of the WWI is next year (2018).

:)

L.

Back
Top Bottom