Shortest, fastest route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptFun

Vessel Make
31' Offshore steel trawler, Sable
I need to bring a boat from the Erie Canal to southern Lake Michigan. I originally planned on using the Trent Severn System. I'm short on time, is the Great Lake route quicker? I realize it would be longer.
Someone told me you needed 3 crew on board to use the canals, true??

Many thanks,

:blush::blush::angel:

The TSW is shorter. You do not need 3 crew unless that is what you want. As to how long it will take in relation to the Lake Erie route would be just a guess. If you go the Great Lake route you will be fighting current in the rivers. If you are in a slow boat that might be significant. Besides on the TSW you get to do some great locks.

I understand Welland canal Lk Ont to Erie requires crew of 3 for upbound traffic. There are locals available to hire for the passage.
Not sure about GL locks to Huron.
TS does not req 3.
River sections can be slow but connecting lakes no limits. TS is a great experience and scenery...also much less susceptible to sny Wx delays.
Canadian canals are free this yr.

Last edited:
You have a steel trawler?
Draft? Over 5' then the TS is out. You only need three crew for the upbound Welland Canal. The rest is what you want. No locks past the Welland. The rivers , Detroit and St.Clair are only a 1.5 kn current until you get within a few miles of LK Huron then it'll jump to 2.5-3 as you approach the Blue Water bridge.
Michigan has harbors every 20 miles on Huron.

In Trenton Ontario

Schedule changes and fuel problems are keeping me a Bay Marina in Trenton, Ontario for the winter. Already hauled and wrapped. I'm planning to travel the Trent/Severn first thing in spring. Should be open by early June?? (go away high water) Anyone planning the same trip??

Schedule changes and fuel problems are keeping me a Bay Marina in Trenton, Ontario for the winter. Already hauled and wrapped. I'm planning to travel the Trent/Severn first thing in spring. Should be open by early June?? (go away high water) Anyone planning the same trip??

Should open May 18th, if like you say there is no water level issue like this year.

L

Back
Top Bottom