LED Anchor Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Marinetrader's great Solar Panel thread and website mentioned the current draw of an anchor light as being around 18AH overnight.* In an attempt to reduce this load a couple years ago, I learned of an LED anchor light made by Davis Instruments called the Mega Light Masthead light.* http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/lighting.asp

This light comes with two bulbs - 0.110 amp for low current draw and 0.320 amp for extra brightness.* The light also features a photocell that turns the light on at dusk and off at dawn so I no longer forget to turn it off and notice the anchor light shining at high noon.* I wasn't impressed by the brightness of the low current bulb.

In a quest to get even more efficient, I installed a Marinebeam Davis light 6-LED replacement bulb.* http://store.marinebeam.com/dameledre.html* This bulb is brighter than the brightest Davis bulb and consumes a meager 0.041 amp.* The folks at Marinebeam now market the whole package here for $35.* http://store.marinebeam.com/utanliwiduto.html* There's also the option to upgrade to a 15-LED bulb for even more brightness.

I can attest to the brightness of the 6-LED bulb.* It is surprisingly bright and very white.* The fresnel lens of the Davis Mega Light evens out the light distribution very nicely.

Attachments

• megalight.gif
    megalight.gif
    158.3 KB · Views: 203
LED are fine , but may not be LEGAL.

To use on a boat there are US and Intl requirements.

Simply working better than a certified unit , does not cut it with the Buro Rats.

The ragbaggers love the Bebi , but again is it legal?

Here is one fellows view from the SSCA board,

<h3 class="first">Bebi Anchor Lights simply the best</h3>*Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:26 am

It constantly amazes us in the age of LED lights the type of anchor lights people decide to show. Besides being the law I want to be seen and avoid a midnight collision! Being hit in the middle of the night in a foreign port will ruin your cruising season. Not only dealing with the local authorities but then the damage incurred!

We have come into crowded anchorages and noticed lots of boats not showing a light at all. Yikes!!!

We have been using a variety of anchor lights for the past 25 years. First starting with the regular light that was very power hungry, then to the home made saltshaker light, then to the Davis anchor light. Finally the LED's started to appear, expensive at first $100 just for the bulb (8 years ago). We have gone thru a number of the firstled lights and then saw another boat in the anchorage with a Bebi anchor light. WOW it was at least 3x's brighter than any other light in the anchorage and could be seen for miles.

Recently we installed the Owl anchor light from Bebi

http://www.bebi-electronics.com/owl.html

These are the best, most cost effective, brightest and all around a terrific buy

I encourage all you folks that think that running a couple of garden lights that by 3am are so dim they are worthless to have a look at these anchor lights.

Regards

Chuck
Jacaranda
La Paz, Mx

-- Edited by FF on Monday 18th of April 2011 05:46:29 AM

On the subject of USCG " legal" or approved lights does it really matter as long as the brightness or intensity is correct??. In the past I used non approved led's as running and anchor lights... and they were all brighter than the original filament bulbs they replaced..

Are we just made to buy these at a exorbitant* cost due to govt. regulation and testing?. Some will say that if there is a accident if you have unapproved bulbs you will be at fault.. if they do not have the intensity, color, degree of visibility you bet.

If you are in a foreign port they will not give a crap about USCG approved anyway... and the chance of a led failing is way less than incandescent..

HOLLYWOOD

I think the navigation rules focus on the performance of the lights, not any official testing.

In theory, if you had a brand of "approved" lights, say Perko, and replaced the burnt out bulbs with another brand, one could say they were no longer USCG approved.

There's a whole lot more to LED lighting than it seems at first glance (technical stuff), but I'm convinced that they are the lighting of the future if not the present.

Every light on my boat has been converted to LED except the red and green navigation lights. They are only on when underway so there's no real concern of power useage.

Down our way the worst offenders are the people who use little solar lights as anchor lights.
They emit a very poor light and when manouevering thru an anchorage can give a false impression of how far off they are.
Would not be the first time I have come into an anchorage at night or departed and suddenly a vessel that one thought was a fair way off was under ones bow.
Regulation lights are for a reason.
A lot of the new LED nav lights now meet the Regs and so achieve the low power draw that some wish to achieve.

Benn

As I understand it, the bulb has to be USCG certified for performance in the fixture that it will be installed.* On Moonstruck, I changed to a bulb from http://doctorled.com/*that is certified for 2 mile visibility in an Aqua Signal housing.* It has cut current draw down from 40 watts to about 1 watt.* It is about $50.00 and is available online and at West Marine.* Changing to LED lighting lighting is one of the best things that has been done to the boat. We found direct replacement bulbs for every fixture.* The cost for the total conversion was a little over $500.00.

Moonstruck wrote:
The cost for the total conversion was a little over $500.00.
******* Now, that's good info!

SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
The cost for the total conversion was a little over $500.00.
******* Now, that's good info!

*Walt here is a partial list of the lighting we changed

1. 17 Canalupi style recessed overheads

2.*5 reading lamps

3. 3 decor light bars

4. 6 courtesy lights at floor level

7. 2 lights overhead in the head

8. 3 under combing cockpit lights

9. 2 spreader overhead lights

10.anchor light

11.locker light

We found most at https://www.superbrightleds.com They are great to deal with.* We had a couple of bad bulds that they replaced just on our word.

They do not have the anchor light we used.* Hope this is of help.

*It is nice when anchored to leave enough lights on to be pleasant without worrying too much about power consumption.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 18th of April 2011 04:54:26 PM

We have also changed out many of our interior and exterior lights to LED.*

1. Stateroom lights

2. Fishing spreader lights

3. Cockpit lights

I plan to replace more lights in the main salon, head and engine room over time.* I added a couple new Caframo fans this week, too.* Very quiet and efficient.* I'm ready for summer!!

Attachments

• photo0647.jpg
    photo0647.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 105
  • photo0646.jpg
    photo0646.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 110
  • photo0645.jpg
    photo0645.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 106
  • dscf1588.jpg
    dscf1588.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 118
  • photo0664.jpg
    photo0664.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 110
Moonstruck wrote:
As I understand it, the bulb has to be USCG certified for performance in the fixture that it will be installed.*

I have never seen any requirement to use any "certified" lamps or fixtures, but there are requirements for visibility and color.* Even the colors are not specified except for red, green, white, and I believe, yellow.* No shades or parts of the color spectrum.

talking about LED's...
i have been looking for a "accent-reading" light to put on the underside of the FB overhang exterior, if you look at flywrights photos above, the 4th picture shows the cockpit same as mine, so a "reading" light to put right outside of the two cockpit sliding doors.
i searched high and low, finally got some italian brand led light for around $80, tested it and found it was not bright enough.
kinda gave up on the idea for time being and then last time i was a harbor freight (yes i admit it, i am a harbor freight addict).
there it was a simple battery operated put anywhere LED light. has two settings and at the lower setting it is just perfect for sitting in the cockpit at night reading a book and it cost me around $10 i think.. sure it wont last forever.

rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
As I understand it, the bulb has to be USCG certified for performance in the fixture that it will be installed.*

I have never seen any requirement to use any "certified" lamps or fixtures, but there are requirements for visibility and color.* Even the colors are not specified except for red, green, white, and I believe, yellow.* No shades or parts of the color spectrum.

*Again, as I understand it, the USCG does not certify bulbs, but they certify fixtures.* So a bulb other than specified by the manufacturer has to be certified as a unt with the fixture.* That's about all I know about that and probably anything else.* I know absolutely nothing about MTUs.* You can ask RickB about that.
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

*Again, as I understand it, the USCG does not certify bulbs, but they certify fixtures.* So a bulb other than specified by the manufacturer has to be certified as a unt with the fixture.* That's about all I know about that and probably anything else.* I know absolutely nothing about MTUs.* You can ask RickB about that.
biggrin.gif

*Here it is.* Can you guys tell that I'm having a slow day today. Trying to get my mind off taxes.

PART 25REQUIREMENTS
Subpart 25.10Navigation Lights

Browse Previous
<h5>§*25.10-3***Navigation light certification requirements.</h5>
(a) Except as provided by paragraph (b) of this section, each navigation light must

(1) Meet the technical standards of the applicable Navigation Rules;

(2) Be certified by a laboratory listed by the Coast Guard to the standards of ABYC A-16 (incorporated by reference, see §25.013), or equivalent, although portable battery-powered lights need only meet the requirements of the standard applicable to them; and

(3) Bear a permanent and indelible label stating the following:

(i) USCG Approval 33 CFR 183.810

(ii) MEETS __. (Insert the identification name or number of the standard under paragraph (a)(2) of this section, to which the light was type-tested.)

(iii) TESTED BY __. (Insert the name or registered certification-mark of the laboratory listed by the Coast Guard that tested the fixture to the standard under paragraph (a)(2) of this section.)

(iv) Name of Manufacturer.

(v) Number of Model.

(vi) Visibility of the light in nautical miles (nm).

(vii) Date on which the light was type-tested.

(viii) Identification of bulb used in the compliance test.

(b) If a light is too small to attach the required label

(1) Place the information from the label in or on the package that contains the light; and

(2) Mark each light USCG followed by the certified range of visibility in nautical miles, for example, USCG 2nm. Once installed, this mark must be visible without removing the light.

superdiver wrote:
what are "fishing spreader" lights?
*Spreader lights are mounted on the spreader bar of the mast, and usually shine down to illuminate the deck area.* Can be for fishing or just general lighting purposes.

superdiver wrote:
what are "fishing spreader" lights?

*The spreader lights are the bright floodlights at the top of my radar mast that illuminate the water behind the boat for night fishing.* When set up properly, they light the water and provide task lighting to the cockpit below, but don't kill night vision.

Per wrote:talking about LED's...
i have been looking for a "accent-reading" light to put on the underside of the FB overhang exterior, if you look at flywrights photos above, the 4th picture shows the cockpit same as mine, so a "reading" light to put right outside of the two cockpit sliding doors.

Per,* I had two blinding halogen floods on each side of the aft doors that were practically useless since they were too bright for task work and much too high draw to leave on for long periods. The teak mounts they were attached to also intefered with opening the doors fully.

I found 6 element LED strips for $10 each at Cabela's like the one shown below.* I have mounted them under the aft overhang outboard of the doors.* They seem to provide the right level of task lighting without being blinding, although I am considering adding a SS shade to prevent the light source from being seem when standing in the cockpit.

All of the LEDs I installed are a very white light, not a blue tint.* By removing the teak mounts of the old lights, I gained 4 inches of aft door opening which seems to make a big defference to me.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Monday 18th of April 2011 09:57:24 PM

Attachments

• led light.jpg
    led light.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,330
FlyWright,
I have started changing out my cabin fans for the Caframo units as well. Bloody good units with timers and very quiet
I get them from Defender and ship them out to Aus. 4 done and 2 to go.
I have them on board , just have to get around to fitting them.
Will have a look at the led lighting for my interior lighting.
Have a couple in the new office reno in the focasle so should look at the rest.

Benn

IF all you are interested in is not being run down while anchored , the rag bagger cruisers have the simple solution.

They festoon the boat with half a dozen cheap solar yard lights.

Since their biggest danger is early AM when fish boats leave , they replace the origional battery with a better one from Radio Shack , or wherever.

This gives the yard lamps the endurance to make it to sunrise.

I have installed an LED anchor light and now am using .11 amps rather than the 1 amp on the traditional bulb.

Moonstruck wrote:Moonstruck wrote:rwidman wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

biggrin.gif

*Here it is.* Can you guys tell that I'm having a slow day today. Trying to get my mind off taxes.

PART 25REQUIREMENTS
Subpart 25.10Navigation Lights

Browse Previous
<h5>§*25.10-3***Navigation light certification requirements.</h5>
(a) Except as provided by paragraph (b) of this section, each navigation light must

(1) Meet the technical standards of the applicable Navigation Rules;

(2) Be certified by a laboratory listed by the Coast Guard to the standards of ABYC A-16 (incorporated by reference, see §25.013), or equivalent, although portable battery-powered lights need only meet the requirements of the standard applicable to them; and

(3) Bear a permanent and indelible label stating the following:

(i) USCG Approval 33 CFR 183.810

(ii) MEETS __. (Insert the identification name or number of the standard under paragraph (a)(2) of this section, to which the light was type-tested.)

(iii) TESTED BY __. (Insert the name or registered certification-mark of the laboratory listed by the Coast Guard that tested the fixture to the standard under paragraph (a)(2) of this section.)

(iv) Name of Manufacturer.

(v) Number of Model.

(vi) Visibility of the light in nautical miles (nm).

(vii) Date on which the light was type-tested.

(viii) Identification of bulb used in the compliance test.

(b) If a light is too small to attach the required label

(1) Place the information from the label in or on the package that contains the light; and

(2) Mark each light USCG followed by the certified range of visibility in nautical miles, for example, USCG 2nm. Once installed, this mark must be visible without removing the light.

OK, now I've seen it, but that has to be one of the least known and enforced regulations on the books.* To be in compliance, we would have to go to West Marine and ask for an Attwood bulb, a Perko bulb, an Hella bulb, etc. even though they are the same size, base, and wattage.

In my area, they don't seem to enforce the lighting regulations at all.

I suppose though, if you run into an anchored boat and are sued, you could claim that the boat you ran into had a non-certified lamp in it so you were not at fault.

rwidman wrote:
In my area, they don't seem to enforce the lighting regulations at all.

I suppose though, if you run into an anchored boat and are sued, you could claim that the boat you ran into had a non-certified lamp in it so you were not at fault.

*Right you are.* We are a litigious society.* The reason I had checked into it was seeing*many LED anchor light bulbs with*reduced outputs.**They didn't seem correct to me.* That started some research*just to see how they were rated.* Most aren't.* So, I looked for one that was rated for an Aqua Signal 40 series.* They weren't available in stores then.* Online was the only way to order.* I just went through it again in ordering the relocated stern light.* Yep, it had to be certified for 2 mile visibility.

I am a licensed general contractor.* There are many jurisdictions, especially in rural areas, that are lax on code*enforcement.* That does not relieve me or anyone else from conforming to the state code.* If anything goes wrong because of a code violation, you can bet that insurance investigators (can you spell S U B R O G*A T I O N)*and lawyers are coming after me.* Same thing holds true for boating accidents.* Law enforcement officials may not enforce it, but you can rest assured the courts will.

The law is about loopholes and details* Be as careful as you can.*

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 01:12:04 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 01:36:17 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom