Timed Circuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kev_rm

Vessel Name
Kismet
I have a few 12 volt circuits I would like to dummy proof by using a time delay type relay - I think its called a "INTERVAL ON" style - so meaning you flip the switch or press the button and the circuit is energized for a time period, perhaps one hour typically, then needs to be reset to turn back on.

I guess trying to simulate a building occupancy sensor (and maybe that's what I really should have)

but I am wondering specifically if anyone has any recommendations for these for a marine environment.

Do you mean they need to be IP-rated to withstand saltwater splashing?

Or mounted inside, just robust?

How many amps continuous are the loads, if high may need a good relay as well?

TE's AGASTAT 7000 series is a more serious bit of kit, with pricing to match.

Square D / Schneider Electric 9050JCK46V36 series single shot style is what we use on our head. It energizes for up to 10 minutes. It is in our system as a safety in case of a seal failure, so the head doesn't run continuously.
There is a similar style that can be programmed several different ways. Check the Schneider site, or MSC and similar supply houses.

Have you thought about using a mechanical timer? I use a one hour timer to control the 12V fuel pump to transfer fuel from a main tank to the day tank.

Remember a unit that will open a DC circuit should be DC rated for the amps involved.

Agastat is the industry standard. If you buy adjustable its more versatile.

Remember a unit that will open a DC circuit should be DC rated for the amps involved.
Unless it is just used as a sensor, operating a more robust relay with the high-amps rating.

May be cheaper, but yes an additional point of failure.

Unless it is just used as a sensor, operating a more robust relay with the high-amps rating.

May be cheaper, but yes an additional point of failure.

This is how ours is installed. It actuates an 80 amp solenoid to power the system.

I have a few 12 volt circuits I would like to dummy proof by using a time delay type relay - I think its called a "INTERVAL ON" style - so meaning you flip the switch or press the button and the circuit is energized for a time period, perhaps one hour typically, then needs to be reset to turn back on.

I guess trying to simulate a building occupancy sensor (and maybe that's what I really should have)

but I am wondering specifically if anyone has any recommendations for these for a marine environment.

A little while ago I used a cheap timer and relay to create a timer for my fuel transfer pump. Definitely not designed for a "wet" environment but I used it below the helm station inside my PH. A very dry environment. You can see what I did in this thread.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/yet-another-silly-upgrade-fuel-transfer-relay-30842.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom