provisioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
My wife and I are going on our first cruise in nov and are heading south from Oriental NC, is there a site that can give suggestions on how to provision for a 3 mos cruise down the intercostal. We will be traveling on a 36 albin trawler. thank you

A "site"? Not that I know of but you can figure this stuff out on your own. Unless you cruise non-stop, you will be in towns where you can get to grocery and other stores one way or another. Many marinas are within walking distance of stores. Others have loaner cars. It would be very difficult to start out with everything you need for three months.

Between you and your wife you should be able to figure it out. Whatever you run out of, buy it along the way and make a note of it. Your needs and someone else's needs may not be the same.

We provision for a week to week half, then go to a store for some items that is not practical to store. This is also a bit subjective as your requirements of what you must have and someone else could be much different. We travel with friends that go out to eat a lot, whereas we go out more for an occasional lunch and then we BBQ chicken or something else, we can only store so much in the freezer, some cases my wife pre-cooks things (like chicken) so it stores longer in the fridge. Also she makes up a casserole and portion packs a couple meals for that in case weather is bad. Play around with it, it's a good problem to have!!

Just a suggestion. I just came off a month in the Bahamas. Gallons of water, purifed. I use this for cooking, coffee and my ice maker. Frozen vegetables and freeze a pound of butter. Jimmy Dean cooked sausage patties, eggs. Aw heck, the list is huge and took me two weeks to get everything onboard.

My boat is stocked with pretty much everything I need at all times, ie: laundry detergent, tooth paste, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, mouthwash, make-up sunscreen, hair ties, hats, aloe gel, Q tips, lip balm, hair dryer, magazines, all galley essentials. This list can go on forever. Decide what you use on a daily basis, put it on a shopping list and that is what you should have on your boat. I have a large basket of spices and different oils that was absolutely something I couldn't do without.

Greetings,
Mr. K. As has been mentioned, along the ICW there will be numerous places to re-provision. A great opportunity to sample some of the local "goodies". There's a shrimp dock right on the ICW, with an attached seafood retail store directly across from the Hinckley yard in Thunderbolt GA for example. (at least there used to be). We've been up and down the ditch several times and never run out of food.

Regarding Ms. D's recent Bahamian junket. We were also recently in Bimini for upwards of 3 weeks or so and yes, we did eat out but prepared a lot of meals aboard. Our fridge/freezer capacity is basically apartment sized so not really a lot of room. If there's some particular foodstuff that you can't do without and may be hard to source, then, by all means pack it.
As Ms. D. suggests, a goodly supply of spices, oils and condiments is important.

Let me add, if you're exploring a town or even a marina, you'll probably eat at one or more restaurants. Both my wife and I usually end up with enough leftovers for another meal (assuming you have a microwave on board for reheating).

And a specific hint: Laundry "pods" are ideal for boat cruising. No bottles or cartons, no measuring, just buy a bag of them and throw one in with each load of laundry.

ICW cruising, just buy what you normally do at home. I used to keep a crap load of food on the boat all the time and usually never use it. A few days worth is good. Like others have said, you may eat out more often. I also found that I would buy things for the boat that I normally do not eat at home and they never got eaten. I also do not like to cook big meals on the boat. A great thing to do is buy a crock pot, throw together a meal, let it cook while traveling that day, then what do you know, dinner is ready, leftovers are there and only one pot to clean. More time to enjoy the sunset with a cold tasty beverage on the back deck.

It is hard to get good fresh produce in alk the places that you can stop for other things.

So if that is a priority, it may make sense to ask specifically where there are good stops for stuff that you consume quickly ir goes bad quickly.

You can live a month off canned goods stored in a container in the bilge, but that is easy...eating large on the road does take some planning....even larger boats run out of fresh stuff quick.

Many waterfront communities have farmers markets posted on community bulletin boards, worth a check if fresh is on the agenda.

Thank you all for your comments. We should have a good start on our stocking ,,, Maybe we will see some of you this winter n the ICW

The one thing we do on extended trips that we don't normally do is to have our large 7 day cooler on board. This allows us to use it for either frozen food or drinks and have room in the fridge for a little extra food. If you have room for a cooler you may want to consider it just in case.

We always try to stock the "heavy" items when access is easiest, with car, dock carts, close dingy docks, etc. Its a lot better than carrying, even for short distances. We do go through a lot of beer and coke though. Other stuff can be picked up along the way with just walking.

Unless you plan to anchor the entire time you will find that your home port, Oriental, is one of the more out of the way places you will be in. Thus, major grocery stores, big box hardware and even Walmart will be within easy reach.

When you have access to a car is the time to stock up on the heavy and bulky stuff. Almost every marina in the US (and Canada) will accept packages so you can order boat parts on line and have them shipped to the next marina in which you plan to stop. I recommend you call ahead to the marina to get the correct address and confirm they will accept packages.

Just a suggestion. I just came off a month in the Bahamas. Gallons of water, purifed. I use this for cooking, coffee and my ice maker. Frozen vegetables and freeze a pound of butter. Jimmy Dean cooked sausage patties, eggs. Aw heck, the list is huge and took me two weeks to get everything onboard.

My boat is stocked with pretty much everything I need at all times, ie: laundry detergent, tooth paste, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, mouthwash, make-up sunscreen, hair ties, hats, aloe gel, Q tips, lip balm, hair dryer, magazines, all galley essentials. This list can go on forever. Decide what you use on a daily basis, put it on a shopping list and that is what you should have on your boat. I have a large basket of spices and different oils that was absolutely something I couldn't do without.

Good list, but a pound of butter???:eek::eek:

That would only last me a week!:smitten:

View attachment provisioning copy.pdf
Hope this attachment comes through
6 month list for out islands Bahamas
Always in need of fresh dairy,produce,bread etc.
Good start modify with experience

Last edited:
Wifey B: How much freezer and refrigerator space do you have? That's going to govern how you stock.

We start with freezing meats. We like to buy as much or our meat as possible at home. However, if you don't have space, you could freeze what you can. Canned goods are easy. We use tons of bottled water and likely would take part and plan a restock along the way. Salads, berries, fruits are the things we like to regularly pick up fresh. They're also very manageable in handling.

I'd think in advance of places along the way you'd like to go shop. Some places have great access to supermarkets. For instance, Grand Dunes in Myrtle Beach has a Lowe's Grocery across the street. Even better, they'll deliver to your boat if you wish. That's something to look at big time too is grocery delivery. It's available in most sizable cities and either at no charge or at a modest charge. Great convenience in placing the order online and they'll amaze you how well they select the produce you order.

Paper goods are always important as are things like dishwashing liquid. The things that we try to really stock up on are all the toiletries and any cosmetics. We carry enough suntan lotion to last because what we like isn't everywhere. Same with hand soaps, bath soaps, shampoos, conditioners. Again, we use only fragrance free due to hubby's allergies so not easy to find everywhere.

Oh, and one more option. Amazon. Their prices on things like paper towels and toilet tissue and detergents are great and obviously they deliver. They probably carry all the toiletries you use, all the supplies.

Delivery is your friend. :lol:

Look at your recent shopping at home and what you keep there and duplicate. Walk around your home looking at things you need. Then highlight the must/absolute/tears or screaming if we run out items and make sure you have them or plans to restock. For instance, there may be a coffee that you think nothing else compares to but everyone doesn't carry it. There may be a shampoo you can't live without.

This is a great trial trip for you because you're not far from cities and shopping and everything you need. You'll learn. You'll overlook or run out of something. Apparently, butter is very important to Donna and more important to Richard. I don't even want to know what he's using it all for. :blush:

Treats. Yes. Reward yourself. Keep those special indulgences. I don't know your weakness but perhaps at your lowest moment on a cruise a Hershey bar might save you. :D

Or a 24 count of Hersey bars. [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom