Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
So here's a silly question to show you my ignorance. My generator runs, and I can see that it's recharging my generator battery. I'm sure the alternator does that itself. As for recharging my other batteries and powering the other systems on my boat, it doesn't seem to be doing that. Any tips? I'm attaching a picture of my power panel. My generator is a Northern Lights M673L. Image1497964390.158716.jpgImage1497964413.491174.jpg

What does your Magnum inverter panel say when shore power, genset or engines are running? Is the green charge light on?

It looks like you have either two 30A 120V shore power inlets or a single 50A 240V inlet that uses each leg to power each row of breakers.

When the generator is running and the transfer switch switched, do you see AC voltage at the panel? Not sure how sunchaser knows that you have a Magnum inverter/charger but his question is a good one. If the light is not on, is it on when the system is on shore power?

If no voltage in genset mode, generators often have a disconnect breaker near the genset and not on the main panel. Check that, it may have tripped.

David

Last edited:
Is there a AC breaker on the genset that could be off?

When was the last time it worked correctly?

I'm going to check the breaker. Good call. It worked last October at anchor. I started it several times since then just to run it, but not for generator power. I'll let you know what I find.

A typical installation in connecting a inverter / charger is to have a separate breaker that controls the AC in for the inverter / charger. This allows you to select when the charger is operating. Check to make sure this breaker is on an AC power is getting to the inverter / charger. Then check to see if the charger is on.

This is the exact reason why I love you guys. Lol. The breaker was tripped off. It's working like a charm now. I feel like a tool. Between in-line fuses and breakers.... most of my issues have been resolved pretty quickly. Thank you so much everyone.

Not sure how sunchaser knows that you have a Magnum inverter/charger but his question is a good one. If the light is not on, is it on when the system is on shore power? David

His panel picture shows a Magnum panel with no lights on. I can only but assume this picture was taken with genset on. There is no power to the inverter charger or the charger button on the Magnum has to be pushed - but the Magnum chargers normally come on automatically when power is available.

With better picture resolution the panel meters and switch positions would tell (part of) the tale. It does appear there is 110V to panel, if the upper left meter is a volt meter.

Problem was corrected. Breaker was off. Thank you so much to everyone who replied.

Same thing happened to a friend of ours this weekend. He came down to the boat and realized the dock power was still out due to some repairs. Decided to start the genny so he could have the AC at night. It started fine, but he couldn't get power at the panel. he called his genny repair person, who told him to check the breaker on the generator. That was it. We think the mechanic who did his winterizing must have accidentally tripped it. Moral being that you are not the only one.

Thank you for that Carolena. I must have done the same thing during winterization.

Back
Top Bottom