All Chain Anchor Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Our trawler has very nice, sturdy, and aparently expensive Fortrans "Tigris" model windlass. *We are running all chain rhode. *I was pondering switching it to a combo rhode with around 100' of chain then switch over the rope rhode, only to find out that the windlass only does chain automatically. *If I switch to a combo rhode I can do that but it would require manually going out to the windlass, wrapping the rope portion around the smooth drum gypsy on opposite side of the windlass, then manually switching it to the chain gypsy when we get to the chain. *I talked to Fortrans and they pretty much said sorry- no other options. *Anyone else by chance have a chain only windlass that you've been able to figure out how to convert to allow a combo rhode? *Pretty sure my answer is "no dice" but figured I'd see if someone smarter than me has pondered a solution that does not require someone manually switching from one gypsy to another.

RE: all chain anchor windlass

Woodsong wrote:Our trawler has very nice, sturdy, and aparently expensive Fortrans "Tigris" model windlass.*

Yes I did! I should not type, answer a business call, and drink coffee at the same time I guess. :)

There are windlasses that incorporate wildcats that will haul in both chain and line. Sometimes there are problems with the connections between the line and chain feeding properly--- it all depends on how the connection is made.

We have a Lofrans Tigres and use all-chain rode and for our waters and our anchoring connections, we would not use anything other than all-chain. So the Tigres wildcat serves us just fine. We use the gypsy drum on the other side for hauling in the anchor trip line when we use it and we actually need it to back the anchor out.

Lofrans windlasses are excellent units--- they are installed as stock on a number of higher-end boats like Grand Banks, Nordic Tug, etc. If one has only a few feet of chain on the end of a combination rode, I guess it's possible or maybe probable that you'll have to start hauling in some real weight before the chain reaches the windlass. But if one has 40 or 50 or more feet of chain on the rode, I would think no weight would need to be hauled in until the chain was at the boat. The few people I know in this area who use combination rodes simply haul in the line portion of the rode by hand and when the chain reaches the bow they put it into the wildcat and let the windlass do the heavy hauling.

We too had the Tigres for many years and our gypsy handled both chain and rode on the same side. You might want to check again, it may not be an issue. Chuck

*<h3 class="r">Warp/Chain Splice - BlueMoment</h3> How to make a Warp to Chain Splice. A chain/warp.

If you do switch over to the dark side.
*This is the way to attach your chain and rope rode.

SD

Our Albin 43, built '79, has the S-L Sea Wolf, I think model 520/######.* 10' chain, the rest 3/4" 3-strand nylon.* I want to go to all chain, since the windlass will feed chain cleanly into the locker, and no more line/chain connections or shackles getting choked up in the winlass, and the stink of wet line and having to dry it on deck.* My question is, has anyone had an issue with the strength of the chain locker floor holding 250# of chain?* And, any comments on the S-L windlass?* I'm looking at 150' 3/8 3B chain.* It fits beautifully in the wildcat.* I've discovered that links/foot is the most critical factor with chain fitting the wildcat properly.* Can anyone confirm this finding as fact?

Hope someone has walked this path before me.* Thanks--John---High C's

Most windlass mfgrs. offer several different wildcats for their units to match the chain you have/want. Yes, the match is important or the chain will not retreive or feed properly.

Can't help with the strength of the locker floor. I think you should post this in the Albin forum as I'm sure there have to be some members with similar setups. I know two folk who have or had these boats, both the 43's and both used all chain but don't know how much. However less than 200 here is a waste of time.

200 what?

Welcome back Marin!!!!!!!!!!

I used a rope/chain rode with a Lofrans Progress II vertical windlass with a rope/chain wheel. I used 75 feet of chain and 200 feet of rope. It worked well for the east coast. In shallow anchorages, I had all chain out with a little rope as a snubber. In deeper anchorages, I didn't have the weight of the chain hanging straight down from the bow. All the chain was on the bottom where it should be.

The rope/chain splice I used which worked well is shown here.

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsplice/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I may be wrong, but I don't think the type of splice that skipperdude recommended would have worked well with the rope/chain wheel.

GarryP wrote:The rope/chain splice I used which worked well is shown here.
http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsplice/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I may be wrong, but I don't think the type of splice that skipperdude recommended would have worked well with the rope/chain wheel.

This works with Lewmar as well.* The trick is not to make the length of the splice to long.* If it is to long it can jam on the wheel until it gets broken in and used a bit.* But*at about 6" - 8" in lenght* the wheel handles it nicely.

Jd,

*That type of splice works fine when the line is smaller than the chain. The problem comes when that large lump made by the splice has to transition*from *the chain to rope on the windless. The othe type makes this a lot easyer.

SD

Back
Top Bottom