How to clean dock lines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwoDot

Vessel Name
TwoDot II
Vessel Make
Navigator 5100
I have several double braided lines that are stiff as a board? Any suggestions on how to best clean and soften them. They are in very good condition other that this.

Greetings,
I'd like to know as well. I've tried detergents and fabric softeners without much success...

I have asked this question of Yale before and they suggested a simple rinse with fresh water only.
They suggested that fabric softener is a bad idea and should never be used with lines...
Just passing on what I was told,
Bruce

I've never tried, but I've been told to throw our salt-encrusted lines in the washing machine with just water. Run them through a cycle and see what happens.

I clean my lines all the time. Just lay them out on the dock and hose them off and let them dry. Works fine.

I tried running through the washer with Tide and Downey softener and again with just Downey. They are somewhat better, but still awfully stiff.

I have put mine in the washing machine many times. They often come out severely twisted, but always soft and clean. I have never tried detergent or softener on them.

Throw a few at a time in the washer, I put a double dose of liquid softener and they come out nice and soft and smell right Purdy. Then hang em on the railing to dry out.

At least that's how I do it.

We wash ours in the machine at the end of each season with no detergent and no spin and they come out clean and soft, although I did have a snag once. But we're in fresh water. YMMV.

Synthetic lines have a lube in the interior strands that reduces friction and heat when the lines are stretching. Washing with soap and other laundry products makes them nice and clean, but greatly limits the life and reduces their breaking strength.

Synthetic lines have a lube in the interior strands that reduces friction and heat when the lines are stretching. Washing with soap and other laundry products makes them nice and clean, but greatly limits the life and reduces their breaking strength.

Good points...especially when nylon looses up to 25% of its strength when wet and also looses strength when heated during cyclic loading.

I remember from my climbing days that ropes should never be around fuels because even the fumes could damage them. There are even special felt pens and tapes for marking climbing ropes. It's always surprised me that boaters aren't aware of how these things can weaken their ropes, particularly nylon rodes or snubbers.

I'd contact the rope manufacturer directly.

Due to my being afraid of my wife, I have only put my dock lines the washing machine once. Now I put them in a 5 gallon bucket at the dock with a little boat soap. I agitate them a lot and then rinse them the same way a half dozen times.

I recognize that it is NOT the best way to treat the lines. However, my dock lines will never break from heat and strain. They have only needed to be replaced due to chafe.

My new system for my home docklines appears to have solved any chafe issues and at the end of the summer will wash them in a bucket (no soap this time) in a bucket of fresh water. During the fall, winter, and spring, the docks lines that are suspended between boat and dock get regular rain water rinses.

Stiff dock lines I've come across are from salt crystalizing inside. I doubt that a wash cycle in a machine is long enough for the crystals to all melt away. I suggest you coil them loosely and toss them in a tub or bucket large enough to soak them in fresh water for a few days. Change the water a few times.
I had a salvaged piece of anchor rode from a commercial boat that was so stiff you could stick a piece straight out 6 feet before it would bend. I used it as an example in rope and knot classes. Some idiot (me) left it outside in the rain. A couple weeks later I discovered my error but by that time the salt had melted away and the rope had gone flexable.
Another reason they could be hard and stiff could be because they have been grossly overloaded. Highly doubt this would be the case unless you had really stressed them due to high wind and wave load at the dock. Then the ropes should be replaced, no softening them is going to help.

Mix alot of fabric softner with water in a five gallon bucket., let soak for 4-5 days. then throw them in the washing machine, they come out soft, clean and ready to go. Got this trick from my Dad, he has been doing his dock lines like that for years and it works great. Have not seen anty damage to the line from this method.

We've run ours through the washer over the years, with and without soap and fabric softener... with and without the extra pre-soak cycle... Almost all the available options have always worked, but usually we've gravitated toward one dollop of soap and one of fabric softener, with pre-soak, and with extra rinse and high-speed spin-dry.

BUT... one brand of lines (Sampson) is always much stiffer than the other brand (New England).

BTW, doesn't hurt to wrap those suckers separately, but even then, they usually all end up tangled up with each other...

-Chris

Soak in a large tub of plain water with a few drops of blue Dawn for a day then squirt down. Blue Dawn can fix anything.

I've had good results with green or dirty lines by soaking them in bucket using laundry detergent and Oxyclean. Soak for several hours and stir a few times. Rinse by hosing off with a strong spray. I also cleaned the main cover from the sailboat we just sold using the same mix. It came out amazingly cleaner. A bucket wasn't big enough so I used an aluminum canoe for a wash tub. Oxyclean seems to be the secret elixir.

Soak mine for a few weeks in water with Joy dishwashing soap, several rinses over several days in fresh water, then several weeks in fabric softener.

Soap and water breaks down salt and dirt over time, then it needs to be soaked / rinsed out. This works well for maintaining lines. Have never had great success at restoring totally abused lines.

Ted

Has anyone soaked lines in a solution of Salt Away or similar product?

I put them in the washing machine (it has no center agitator)
add some Sea Solve (like salt away) let the machine fill with water and sit for an hour Then do a gentle wash for 15 min and put it on hold for an hour and then start it again with extra rinse with a high speed spin
My lines are 20 to 50 feet long and 3/4 inch so I place about 2 in at a time
Do it every 2 years and try not to drop the lines in the water at all times

I, like a lot here, just toss them in the cloths washer and hang them up to dry (or just reattach to the boat and they dry just fine). Years ago, I would add laundry soap, but, no longer do. They still come out just as clean and soft by getting the salt out. If they are really dirty and green, it might take two or three washing/rinse cycles to get them clean.

Sooner or later, they just don't get that clean with a white line. At that time I replace them. Black lines hide the dirt/algae better than other colors :thumb:

If they are really dirty and green, it might take two or three washing/rinse cycles to get them clean.

Sooner or later, they just don't get that clean with a white line. At that time I replace them. Black lines hide the dirt/algae better than other colors :thumb:

I have considered just starting out with green lines and green canvas. That way the green that is inescapable here in the PNW on boats that don't sit inside simply can go unnoticed.

Maybe bring 'em home and soak 'em in the bathtub for 24-48 hrs? Couldn't hurt...unless you need to use the tub.

So is this primarily a get the salt out thing or is it meant to actually clean the lines. Being in Freshwater we really get away with a lot less maintenance that I think you do because of the salt water.

Just a few moments of handling the lines eliminates stiffness for me.

I've been told, and found out myself, (yes, it's true) that a double braid rope with a spliced eye it, when washed in an automatic washing machine, the eye will come undone unless they are stitched to secure them or chained or put in a mesh sack prior to washing. I have seen lots of pre-made docklines with a stitch binding the eye.

It sounds like a lot of people here have washed their dock lines. I'm guessing at least half of those are double braid and most of those would have an eye splice. Any history to un-stitched/secured eyes coming apart? Did you wash them straight off the boat or chain or bag them first?

It sounds like a lot of people here have washed their dock lines. I'm guessing at least half of those are double braid and most of those would have an eye splice. Any history to un-stitched/secured eyes coming apart? Did you wash them straight off the boat or chain or bag them first?

Mine are all double braid. Like some others, my washer is a front loader without an agitator. Might be the key.

Best to put lines in a mesh bag if washing in a machine.
I have used Murphy's oil soap...no idea if it helped or hurt but though it might keep / restore the lubricity I've heard about?

As I posted earlier, my buddy at Yale said in no uncertain terms that fabric softener was a no-no. As so many here seem to like the way it leaves their lines and since no-one has reported any failures I decided to search online for any advice from manufacturers. There is simply nothing I can find on the subject beyond a reference to a climbing rope manufacturers manual that states that for climbing ropes, it is a bad idea. Even that was simply a reference to a printed manual...
Maybe it does weaken the line a bit but unless you are securing for a hurricane, it likely makes no difference?
No idea!
Lines do get stiff though and in the past we have simply replaced them as by that time they were pretty beat up.
I hate to think of my boat sustaining damage for the cost of a few $30 to $40 lines every 3 or 4 years.
Bruce

In our case... with stitched eye splices... and a washer with no center post in the basket... we've not had a problem with unraveling.

I've also not bagged the lines individually, although that would make it easier to sort out the lines afterwards. If I happened to have convenient bags, I probably would use them...

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom