Gyro pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Navigator

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kekada
Vessel Make
Seahorse 54
A few people have expressed interest in the Gyro we are having fitted to our boat. Attached are a couple of photos of an indentical unit installed in the boat immediately in the production line before us.** Don

-- Edited by Navigator on Friday 8th of April 2011 03:34:57 AM

Attachments

• gyro_installation_on_5232_(2).jpg
    gyro_installation_on_5232_(2).jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 94
  • gyro_installation_on_5232.jpg
    gyro_installation_on_5232.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 88
Quality construction is apparent, but I'm curious what the inside the "big white box" contains.*... I'm baffled how a relatively small mass can stabilize such a large boat, but expect to be amazed.* ...* How much storage area was sacrificed?* ... Is that a sound-insulation board on the bottom of the hatch?

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 8th of April 2011 04:55:36 AM

Hi Mark,

There is a flywheel weighing*hundreds of*kilograms inside the box which when spinning produces considerable stabilisation*force. See the Seagyro website for more technical details. Ours was*less than $40K*fitted and you can get one for a 30T boat for as little as US$20K without all the hassles you have with active fins. It can be powered by the alternators while under way so negligible impact on fuel consumption.**At anchor the batteries/solar panels*can be supplemented by the generator*when necessary. The space lost is in the work room between the engine room and lazarette and the size of the one we have is about the same as a Northern Lights 9Kw generator.* Don

-- Edited by Navigator on Friday 8th of April 2011 05:12:27 AM

-- Edited by Navigator on Friday 8th of April 2011 05:16:58 AM

Very interesting Don, I look forward to hearing how you feel it works. From all accounts a viable option.* I actually spoke with Mitsubishi about their unit in 2003 or so when they were trying to find beta customers.* I couldn't talk them into a big enough discount and was concerned about the power draw that was needed for a unit sized to my boat, but I really like the concept.* Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom