Bow Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Had a problem with my bow thruster coming back to the marina. I may have used it for longer than I should. The problem is it will go to starboard but not to port. Think maybe a solenoid but not sure. Also where can I get parts for it ? It's a Vetus.

Had a problem with my bow thruster coming back to the marina. I may have used it for longer than I should. The problem is it will go to starboard but not to port. Think maybe a solenoid but not sure. Also where can I get parts for it ? It's a Vetus.

The Vetus switch has two simple switches inside, one for each direction. They are a known failure point. They are cheap and easy to replace.

I don't know, but if it was the solenoid wouldn't it have failed in both directions? If you take out the switch, turn it over and open it up. It should looke something like this (this is a dual control for both bow and stern thruster).
View attachment 64991

The part for the switches (the red things) were GE Cema BPJDE2. I was able to order them through Amazon for about $7.00 each.

Once you get the switch out and disconnected, it is a 5 minute job to open up the back of the switch, use a multimeter to test the internal switches, and then replace one if it fails.

I ordered an extra so I have it when another one fails.

Your problem may not be this, but I know of a number of Vetus thruster owners who have had similar issues. At first the switches can sometimes fail intermittently, then just quit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom