1989 offshore yachtfisher trawler 48

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevkat

Does anyone have input on the Offshore yachtfisher? We have been researching "trawler" styles for years. Value any persons opionion cruising on the Offshore.* My wife and I just veiwed a 48 offshore yachtfisher 1989. It has 3208TA cats. We would like to hear any comments good or bad regarding this yacht and the engines. We plan to be liveaboard.

thanks Kevin and Katie

-- Edited by kevkat on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 06:21:53 PM

kevkat wrote:We would like to hear any comments good or bad regarding this yacht and the engines.
*I owned a Crealock 48 yachtfisher in 1995. This boat was the precursor of the Offshore 48 after Crealock sold to the Offshore people.

Except for an up & down traffic flow (Aft and down to the master cabin* & forward and down to the galley and forward cabin) it was a great boat. Very sea kindly and "the softest ride on the water." It had a small cockpit that was accessed from the aft cabin and a terrific forward deck for handling the anchor detail. From the salon, it was up just a few steps to the "California Deck" (our favorite) and just 3 more steps to the fly bridge and boat deck. We also had two helm stations. (Fly bridge and salon)

We didn't have 3208's so we cruised at 10 knots which is all our twin 200hp Perkins would deliver. I believe that 3208's are better suited to this boat. I had a talk with Bill Crealock (phone) about the 10 knot cruise and he said that surprised him! Others, he said, are getting 12-15 knots with their Cats. "Gentleman Bill Crealock" passed away just a few years ago. Some say that the Crealock 37 sailboat he designed is still the best 37 ever built. (Not being a "rag sailor", I can't comment on that.)

The master cabin is huge and the master head on ours had a bath tub (useless) and a shower.

*As far as the quality of the build? I would say it's "excellent" as most all Offshore people will tell you.

W.I.B. Crealock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 06:48:19 PM

Attachments

• img_2470.jpg
    img_2470.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 187
Thank you so very much. We too love the layout of the vessel. We have researched the Cats (engines) and will continue.

Again, thank you so much for your reply. and Mr. Crealock information. Kevin and Katie

those Cats 3208 TA comes in a few different configurations and power ratings range from 260 - 350 hp.
we have the 260 versions and seem like very reliable and real work horses...
obviously speed is a product of fuel burn, but that you will learn soon enough.

I KNOW the 3208s go to at least 375hp and THINK they go as high as 425hp. As far as older technology diesels go, they are some of the best engines out there. The only knock against them is that they are big....well wide anyway since they are V8. But there is no replacement for displacement and they seem to hold up very well....even in the higher horsepower versions. Also they are not a sleeved engine....meaning you replace them instead of rebuild them....what FF would call a "throw away" engine...lol. Anyway, while I have never owned 3208s, they get the job done and do it well.

Baker wrote:
I KNOW the 3208s go to at least 375hp and THINK they go as high as 425hp. ...... Also they are not a sleeved engine....meaning you replace them instead of rebuild them....

This is true!

My Ocean Alex 42 had a pair of 375's and they performed flawlessly.

Attachments

• img_2467.jpg
    img_2467.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 121
SeaHorse II wrote:Baker wrote:
I KNOW the 3208s go to at least 375hp and THINK they go as high as 425hp. ...... Also they are not a sleeved engine....meaning you replace them instead of rebuild them....

This is true!

My Ocean Alex 42 had a pair of 375's and they performed flawlessly.

*Seahorse II is better looking.

dwhatty wrote: Seahorse II is better looking.
I'll agree with that but the Ocean Alex could sure cover the ground! San Diego to Catalina (70 miles) in 3.5 hours. (Not as fast as Moonstruck but nice!) In SeaHorse that same trip is about 8.5 hours.

Attachments

• img_2105.jpg
    img_2105.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom