Fire Extinguisher Pin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Can anyone tell me whether or not I'm supposed to remove the pin, or what looks to be a safety pin on this unit? This is a manually activated unit through a cable pull in the cabin.
IMG_8423.JPGIMG_8424.JPG

Thanks!
Mike

What does the manual say? What does the tag on the pin say? I can see at least 4 warning tags on the unit.

Last edited:
I use a Google drive to keep all equipment manuals organized. Companies seem to be pretty good at making their manuals available in a PDF format these days which is great!

Can anyone tell me whether or not I'm supposed to remove the pin, or what looks to be a safety pin on this unit? This is a manually activated unit through a cable pull in the cabin.
View attachment 64700View attachment 64701

Thanks!
Mike

When the pin is in place, the system's manual discharge handle is disabled, it will not work manually.

The pin is designed to prevent the bottle from begin discharged accidentally during shipping, installation and service of the system. Per the tag's instructions, the pin must be removed once installation is complete, that's the responsibility of the installer or those who commission the vessel. While boat builders and their commissioning yards are getting better at this, about half the new vessels I inspect still have the pin installed.

For the most part, for the most popular systems found on US boats, Sea-Fire is the only manufacturer that uses this locking pin system. It makes excellent sense as it reduces the likelihood of an accidental discharge, however, if inadvertently left in place it renders the systems manual discharge useless. Regardless of whether or not the pin is installed, the bottle will still discharge automatically once the air temperature at the nozzle's vial reaches 175F.

It's a good idea for all forum members to check their fixed fire systems if equipped with Sea-Fire, to make certain the pin is removed.

I made an instructional video on these systems a couple of years ago, you might find it instructive

Just looking at your photo again and the manual discharge device looks as if it's been added to the bottle (it's red, Sea Fire's is gold), so it may not be a Sea-Fire. Regardless, the pin is preventing the manual discharge cable from being operated.

Back
Top Bottom