Trawler Forum

Trawler Forum (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical and Electronics & Navigation (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/)
-   -   Shore Power Cords (http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/shore-power-cords-31877.html)

djk1216 05-08-2017 04:27 PM

Shore Power Cords
 
Just bought a new boat and wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with Furrion shore power cords. They look OK and are a lot less expensive than Marinco. I need to buy a 50' 50 A for the bow, and also for use in case I every need 2 x 50 A at the stern.

Also, has anyone found the need for a reverse Y (2 x 30A feed into a 50A), or is 50 A available everywhere?

The reason I ask is that the marina near me in the NE only has 30 A at the dock, and my boat only has 50A inputs. Not sure if this situation is common or only because the marina here only caters to smaller boats.

O C Diver 05-08-2017 04:35 PM

2 x 30A feed into a 50A has a brain box and is usually north of $400. There is an adapter (<$100) that will allow you to plug into 1 x 30 amp plug and feed both legs of your 50 amp service with 30 amps total. I'm using one now. Just need to be good at load shedding.

Ted

hmason 05-08-2017 04:39 PM

I have 50 AMP Furrion power cords and they are fine. The only issue I have ever had with them is the LED lights on the plug ends never last more than a month or two. When they failed on my first cord I called them and they sent me a new cord at no charge and told me to keep the old one. When the lights failed on the second one I called again to let them know something was going on with their LED's. They insisted on sending me another new cord. I have never used the 3rd cord and I'm keeping it as a spare. You can't beat the price or the customer service.

We liveaboard and do a lot of cruising. I have a reverse Y and I think I used 3 times in the last 10 years. Many marinas have them to loan to you if you don't have your own. 50 AMP power has become common in most marinas on the east coast.

Bay Pelican 05-08-2017 05:45 PM

If you cruise you will run into a number of marinas or slips where only 30 amp is available. Suggest you bite the bullet and get 1) reverse Y, 2) 30 amp shore power to 50 amp boat adapter, and 3) 30 amp cord to feed from a second post to your reverse Y.

You can of course do without any or all of these. Just a matter of how flexible you are when you pull in and find you need one.

dhays 05-08-2017 05:53 PM

Do you have 50A/120 or 50A/240?

what_barnacles 05-08-2017 08:07 PM

I bought one of these. 50' 125/250 @ 50 amp for $300

50A 125/250V Marine Shore Power Boat Cord 50&#039; Yellow 50 amp 125/250 volt NEW | eBay

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4DIAAO...M5O/s-l500.png

psneeld 05-09-2017 06:00 AM

My Furion is 3 yrs old and so far has been just as good as the expensive ones.

Agree with OCDiver, their 30 to 50 adapter works great. A typical solitter wont work unless you have 2 30 outlets that are capable of 250V due to being wired from different hot legs.

Bay Pelican 05-09-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 551806)

Agree with OCDiver, their 30 to 50 adapter works great. A typical solitter wont work unless you have 2 30 outlets that are capable of 250V due to being wired from different hot legs.

This is the reason for carrying a 30 amp cord. You can then find a another power post with the proper 30 amp outlet to allow your smart Y to work.

DHeckrotte 05-09-2017 07:25 AM

With respect to marina power posts equipped with only 30 amp receptacles, and the comment above about adjacent posts powered from the same leg of a 220v main panel:

Surely, whoever wired that dock would have run feeds from both legs of the main panel. The problem becomes one of identifying posts which are wired from different legs and, if necessary, begging adjacent boat owners to trade use of the posts. A 30 amp receptacle will have three conductors: 110v, neutral, and ground; a 50 amp receptacle will have three conductors: +110v, -110v, and ground. Determining whether the 30 amp receptacles are on the same or different legs of the main panel can be done by measuring the potential between the hot conductors; it will be either 0v +/- or 220v +/-. Poking around the receptacle should not be dangerous with adequate care. Determining the hot conductor can be done by comparing the potential between the conductors. I doubt you'd trip the main panel's GFIs with your voltmeter...but, maybe.

If I've said something stupid or wrong, don't let it slide!

DavidM 05-09-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhays (Post 551698)
Do you have 50A/120 or 50A/240?

50A/120V is rare. I haven't seen it at a marina. And the vast majority of our size boats that have more than 30A/120V supply are wired to use 50A/240V. It provides double the wattage of the 50A/120V supply.

David

Seevee 05-09-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O C Diver (Post 551666)
2 x 30A feed into a 50A has a brain box and is usually north of $400. There is an adapter (<$100) that will allow you to plug into 1 x 30 amp plug and feed both legs of your 50 amp service with 30 amps total. I'm using one now. Just need to be good at load shedding.

Ted

O C,

Tell me about that adapter. Seems like you'd have to monitor power carefully.
Now, if you plugged one leg of a reverse Y into a 30 amp supply, you'd get half of the power in the boat, i.e. one leg of the 50a, is that correct? So, if one used that, they could just pick the leg that would give them what they wanted.

I'd like to run the AC on dehumidify and the charger with that setup.

But your adapter has me thinking... do you have a part number?

dhays 05-09-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmarchand (Post 551853)
50A/120V is rare. I haven't seen it at a marina. And the vast majority of our size boats that have more than 30A/120V supply are wired to use 50A/240V. It provides double the wattage of the 50A/120V supply.

David



I agree. However my marina has 50A/120v power pedestals and my boat has a 50A/120v service. This wasn't planned btw, just a fortuitous accident. My sailboat needed a 50A to 30A adaptor at this slip and my boat needs the same when away from our home dock as most transient marinas that I visit have 30A service.

Before I bought a 50A/125V power cord, I was using a 30A cord with an adaptor at either end.

psneeld 05-09-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seevee (Post 551866)
O C,

Tell me about that adapter. Seems like you'd have to monitor power carefully.
Now, if you plugged one leg of a reverse Y into a 30 amp supply, you'd get half of the power in the boat, i.e. one leg of the 50a, is that correct? So, if one used that, they could just pick the leg that would give them what they wanted.

I'd like to run the AC on dehumidify and the charger with that setup.

But your adapter has me thinking... do you have a part number?

Some y cords will not work with only one side plugged in or both if the 2 30A receptacles arent 220 volts aoart due to phase...yes I know some would argue the ohase semantics.

As to having a 30 amp cord to extend to a good receotacle...great if you can find one...some marinas are pretty rough electrically.

The 30 to 50 OCDiver and I have is nice in those situations.

john61ct 05-09-2017 02:29 PM

Please for a noob, could people please post links to examples of the various units being discussed here?

Ideally specific ones known to be good value, but otherwise just references with pics, specs that explain what is what?

Seevee 05-09-2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psneeld (Post 551950)
Some y cords will not work with only one side plugged in or both if the 2 30A receptacles arent 220 volts aoart due to phase...yes I know some would argue the ohase semantics.

As to having a 30 amp cord to extend to a good receotacle...great if you can find one...some marinas are pretty rough electrically.

The 30 to 50 OCDiver and I have is nice in those situations.

I've got 30 amp behind my house. Until I get a 50 installed for the new boat, I'd like to plug in occasionally, and looking for the best solution. I've got the reverse Y, but won't work. But your 30 to 50amp adapter sounds pretty good. Do you have a PN or manufacturer?

O C Diver 05-13-2017 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by seevee (Post 551866)
o c,

tell me about that adapter. Seems like you'd have to monitor power carefully.
Now, if you plugged one leg of a reverse y into a 30 amp supply, you'd get half of the power in the boat, i.e. One leg of the 50a, is that correct? So, if one used that, they could just pick the leg that would give them what they wanted.

I'd like to run the ac on dehumidify and the charger with that setup.

But your adapter has me thinking... Do you have a part number?

Attachment 64699

Here are 3 of the most common adapters to use on a standard 50 amp 250 volt shore power cord.

The top one plugs into a standard house outlet (125 volt 15 amp). It ties the 2 hot conductors in your shore power cord together and gives you a total of 15 amps at 125 volts. Don't use this adapter if you have any 220 circuits in your boat panel! These might be a stove, air conditioning, water heater or clothes drier. While not a hard and fast rule, most boats under 50' that have the 50 amp 250 volt shore power cord, don't have any 220 volt circuits. I use this cord when I'm in the boat yard or on a friend's dock to maintain the battery bank, refrigerator, and maybe one air conditioner.

The middle adapter is the same as the top one only it has a 30 amp plug. I can live comfortably on this one if little or no heat or air conditioning is required. Don't try to run an electric stove, water heater and air conditioning at the same time. Same limitations for 220 volt circuits apply.

The bottom one takes two 30 amp plugs and gives you 30 amps on the 2 positive conductors in your shore power cord. It will also work with 220 volt circuits on your boat. It has a monitoring circuit and disconnects inside the junction box. The disconnects don't close until you have 220 volts from the two 30 amp plugs combined. This requires that the two 30 amp plugs be on different phases and the voltage is higher that 215 volts +/-. Sometimes you will come across two 30 amp receptacles on a power pedestal on the same phase, so it won't work. Sometimes you will be on a dock with a 208 volt tranformer, so it won't work. Sometimes you will be at the far end of a long dock on a hot or cold day when lots of heaters or air conditioners are running, dragging the voltage down below 215 volts, so it won't work.

The frustrating part is that your boat may work fine on 208 volts from the pedestal outlet (mine does), but this adapter won't let you use the two 30 amp outlets on the same pedestal that combine to 208 volts. :banghead:

Marinco part numbers:

Top: 150SPP
Middle: 117A or 111A
Bottom: RY504-2-30

Ted

Bay Pelican 05-13-2017 06:18 PM

://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinco--eel-y-adapter-50a-125-250v-male-to-50a-125-250v-females--12998456?recordNum=43



If the link doesn't work just Google the adapter:


What you are looking for is two 30 amp male, to 50 amp female, smart Y, and a 30 amp male to 50 amp female.

Seevee 05-13-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Pelican (Post 553358)
://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinco--eel-y-adapter-50a-125-250v-male-to-50a-125-250v-females--12998456?recordNum=43



If the link doesn't work just Google the adapter:


What you are looking for is two 30 amp male, to 50 amp female, smart Y, and a 30 amp male to 50 amp female.

I've got a reverse Y plug, which will work if the two 30s phase is correct. But I have a single 30 amp at my dock, so just need a plug for 30 to 50.

I don't believe I have any 220v appliances on board but not positive. There are two legs that are supplied, 110 each, and if there were a 220 appliance wouldn't it have to draw from both legs?

I get a bit confused once I get over 110v, and a few beers.

O C Diver 05-13-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seevee (Post 553361)
I've got a reverse Y plug, which will work if the two 30s phase is correct. But I have a single 30 amp at my dock, so just need a plug for 30 to 50.

I don't believe I have any 220v appliances on board but not positive. There are two legs that are supplied, 110 each, and if there were a 220 appliance wouldn't it have to draw from both legs?

I get a bit confused once I get over 110v, and a few beers.

Yes, a 220 circuit draws from both legs and has a double pole breaker.

You want the middle adapter in post #16.

Ted

Bay Pelican 05-14-2017 05:26 AM

Power management. Don't know your boat, but a boat equipped with a 50 amp shore power inlet could have several appliances that draw significant power loads. 30 amps (120v) will max out at 3600 watts. 50 amp 240v will max out at almost 10,000 watts 120v. Water heater 1,500 watts, hair dryer 1,500, AC unit 1,500. Add in refrigeration, battery charger, cooking etc it is possible to max out the 30 amp shorepower unless you are aware of the need to manage the usage.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012