EZ Anchor Puller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a few fishing buddies with a similar drum anchor winch. https://www.stressfreemarine.com.au/winches/

They are great if properly mounted.
Nice and simple if mounted on the deck. If mounted below they need and a large access hatch on your anchor chain locker. They also require a wide roller to allow the rode to spool as evenly as possible across the winch. A narrow roller will cause it to build up in the middle, then fall over and cause tangles.

One negative is that they get faster as the anchor nears surface.

Most commercial fishing boats use something similar, but usually hydraulic motors. As AusCan said - they need to be well mounted. The further away from the bow roller, the better the chain winds. When I fished I had the usually drum winch with 30 fathoms of chain over wire. Shallow anchorages I just used the chain.

"One negative is that they get faster as the anchor nears surface."

And weaker as the diameter of the drum increases.

They sure are ugly. I would not want one on the back of my boat. And they do seem a bit pricey

Anchorages around here are typically near creeks or rivers with inter-tidal outwash fans which drop off steeply to about 100' before the bottom levels out.

Being able to drop the anchor on a flat bottom would serve two purposes; we wouldn't need to stern tie (which you have to do to hold the anchor in the "up slope" position on a steeply sloped bottom) and getting further out from the creek would lessen the chance of getting frozen in during winter cold snaps.

Lots of commercial fishing boats on North America's northwest coast sport drums on their bows...there must be strong benefits which counter the negatives that yachties are quick to point out.

Most commercial fishing boats use something similar, but usually hydraulic motors. As AusCan said - they need to be well mounted. The further away from the bow roller, the better the chain winds. When I fished I had the usually drum winch with 30 fathoms of chain over wire. Shallow anchorages I just used the chain.

When you say "wire" what do you mean? If you mean twisted/braided wire/cable were kinks ever an issue, and what sort of snubber setup did you use during storms?

Last edited:
We'll probably end up with an independent gypsy and drum windlass with a working + storm/deep water anchor setup...just trying to understand the benefits of the drum system.

One big benefit is that you can have any number of different rode types in one rode. A number of shackles roll up on the drum very well. If you want to limit the chain weight (and I can't see why anyone wouldn't) you can have heavy chain that will result in a more level pull on the anchor like good catenary usually does. The best spot for weight on a rode to maximize the benefits of catenary is not right at the anchor but 10 or 15 feet up. With a reel winch you can put a relatively short section of heavy chain at that point w far less weight of an all chain rode and w the same catenary benefit as all chain.

Many fishermen in Craig Alaska have several sizes of chain and about half the length of the rode in nylon line on their drum. Sometimes a section of very heavy studded chain is followed by heavy chain and another section of lighter chain and then a long section of three strand nylon line.

One of the downsides of reel winches is limited capacity. I like a 400' rode and 5/8ths Brait line but it will not fit on many reel winch drums. However, I could opt to have a second rode optimized for length and a relatively short working rode on the drum.

Murray,
Lepke means "wire rope" I have a short section of wire rope attached to my anchor in 3rd pic. Longer rodes can be put on winch drums as it takes up much less space.

See my add (not there yet) in classified for a hydraulic reel winch in NW US. Could be converted to electric. Don't recall ever seeing a fishboat in Alaska w/o one of these.

In these pics you can see the different sections of rode. The first pic shows very heavy studded chain next to the anchor shank. There may be nylon line under the chain that's not visable. The second pic is of a friends boat and it can be seen his rode is mostly nylon line.
!st pic: Multiple pice rode on the reel winch.
2nd pic: A reel winch on a Willard. I should'a done this myself years ago.
3rd pic: "wire rope" as seen on my anchor rode next to the anchor.

Attachments

• STH71893 copy.jpg
    STH71893 copy.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF0757 copy.jpg
    DSCF0757 copy.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCF2141 copy.jpg
    DSCF2141 copy.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Here is another manufacturer. Saw one on a boat at the little Anacortes Boat Show a few weeks ago, was surprised the manufacturer is in AU.
One thing not mentioned is that the deck mounted reel winches eliminate the loss of interior space to an anchor locker and keep all the wet muddy stuff on deck.
Anchor Winches

One thing I dislike about reel anchor winches, besides the weight of the reel itself, you have all that chain weight high above the waterline. With a chain locker the weight is below the waterline making the boat more stable. I use all chain and have a couple tons in my chain locker. I couldn't do all chain on deck.

Sean,
The space lost is kinda useless otherwise. Could be used as a second rode locker best IMO.

Most all the reel winches I've seen are made mostly our of aluminum. The motor is the heaviest part. At least in direct drive models. For chain/reduction drive add the chain and sproket.
But most importantly w the combination rode more weight is lost than gained. With short sections of chain the whole thing (winch and rode) can be much lighter. The chain can be much heavier but the length being so much less overall weight of the rode may be half as much or easily less. Few baulk at FB weight and that's much higher.

The biggest complaint I hear is the commercial/ugly look of the things. They don't come yacht club ready but much can be done to improve the looks.
Paint. To do a good job disassembly will be at least partially required. But this is not an engine or gearbox so it should be relatively easy. Powder coat is probably the best finish and loud to battle ship grey will be the options. Black is vouge these days. A high gloss black winch could be stunning. Textured (like wrinkle coat ?) may be done also.
Bright. The motor can be painted if exposed and all the rest being aluminum can be polished. Think of a polished SS anchor. Considerable bling.
Anodize. The aluminum can also be anodized in a fairly wide virarity of colors or clear that will look as it does/did before the ano.

Last edited:
The biggest complaint I hear is the commercial/ugly look of the things.

I think they look very functional/purposeful, and I agree there are things that could be done to make them more attractive. No need of that on a commercial boat.
Now, I have my flame suit on, but, could they possibly come even close to being as ugly as the "oxygen tent" flybridge?!! I know it is personal opinion, and everyone is entitled to theirs, but I have seen many such flybridges that appear hideous, and very un-seaworthy. :whistling:

I won't engage. I promise. :eek:

Howard: You are being far more diplomatic than I was.
Go ahead, cut loose, I deserve it!
(ps., the flybridge I see in your avatar seems to fit your Grand Banks rather well - not offensive like some I have seen)

Awwe common SG,
It looks like a dance floor w a greenhouse roof.
Seriously IMO there are a whole lot of very attractive flybridges. I'm known to critisize the FB but only on small boats. The need for them is questionable and almost none of them are light nor do manufacturers make any attempt to build them light. And they obviously raise the CG significantly.
The reel winch is ugly but most FB's are not IMO.

".there must be strong benefits which counter the negatives that yachties are quick to point out."

YES , they do work for the fish guys , and no one needs to go fwd to bring up the anchor.

The downside for white boats is , looks, and lack of catenary ., and wire chafe should the boat do a 180.

The cruisers are not fully manned and wish to sleep , staying anchored regardless of wind or tidal or weather changes.

I have the EZ Anchor Puller on a 28' aluminum boat and I would rate it 10/10. Never get out of the chair to deploy/raise anchor and it's going on 8yrs now with little or no maintenance. Someday when this one fails I will be ordering up another without a second thought. I do think they are under different ownership now vs when I originally bought mine but spoke with them last year with positive results.

For a boat that's not set up for hydraulic drum winch, this works well for me. I like having everything on the drum vs down in a locker.

I have the EZ Anchor Puller on a 28' aluminum boat and I would rate it 10/10. Never get out of the chair to deploy/raise anchor and it's going on 8yrs now with little or no maintenance. Someday when this one fails I will be ordering up another without a second thought. I do think they are under different ownership now vs when I originally bought mine but spoke with them last year with positive results.

For a boat that's not set up for hydraulic drum winch, this works well for me. I like having everything on the drum vs down in a locker.

Cool. Can you share which one you got and what length/diameter rode is on it?

Pretty sure I have the classic 1200 with the white shroud cover and the line capacity specs on the web page look correct. I think I have 300 feet of 1/2inch rope and about 30ft of chain but I can't swear to the lengths or the size/diameter. This setup is so easy to use I rarely give it any thought other than to check the rope end occasionally for signs of wear.

I had 1 for 10 years on a 23 ft Parker loved it never a problem. Just installed a new # 15 on 32 ft Fales . Anchored in 100 to 150 ft with 35lb anchor 30ft of 1/4" chain {Too Light} and very little scope. Only anchored for fishing not storm would have used 3/8 chain and 1/2" rode as I am doing now. I often went alone and did not want to go out on deck alone in bad weather. Agree not pretty but works great.

Attachments

• 82891bb6925a9904b626cd85680b0b346e12081c.medium.jpg
    82891bb6925a9904b626cd85680b0b346e12081c.medium.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 135
Rivertrader,
On a 23' boat why is 1/4" chain "light"?

rusted at welds and failed it was stainless from china

...Just installed a new # 15 on 32 ft Fales...

Looks really good to me in a hairy chested kind of way.

So you got a Classic and not a Patriot then did you? Any issues with over-spooling or the rode getting jammed?

Last edited:
changed out narrow rubber roller for steel wider roller. No jamming problems. Wish it went down faster than 120ish fpm but you learn to go farther up stream to drop on target.

Thanks.

The Patriot apparently has a free fall feature that they say won't over run, but I think I'd need the biggest Classic one anyway.

Found this promo video:

Back
Top Bottom