Issue With Local Rowing Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgotch

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Days Like This
Vessel Make
Cruisers 4270
We currently have a 23' runabout that we use on the Ohio River. We usually put in on a smaller river that feeds into the Ohio River. It is about a 3-5 mile run from the small river to the Ohio (where we want to boat).

There is a local Jr. rowing club that has scullers (quads and 8 person) practicing on the small river. At times, they may have what appears to be 30-40 boats spread over 1-2 miles up and down the river. When I approach from the opposite direction, I am always courteous, and slow down to idle, as we pass.

When we are going in the same direction, they make it difficult/impossible to pass. Sometimes they are 4-6 abreast, and take up the entire width of the river, with no regard for other pleasure boats, and their ability to pass. Most times they are running about ~5-10mph, so I have to run at just above idle speed, they seem to never stop to allow anyone to go around(not that they have to I guess).

If they don't stop, or move over, I cannot pass, it can take me up to an hour to get out onto the Ohio. Tonight I was in a hurry to pick up some friends that were waiting, got on plane and went around them several times, staying as far away as I could. One of the coaches (in an outboard johnboat) yelled at me through his bullhorn. I stopped, and had a discussion with him. He said I am putting his kids in danger. Which I understand (I am responsible for my wake). But they have an attitude that this is their river, and no one else matters.

I am getting ready to send an email to the director, but wanted to get some feedback from this crew. Am I wrong? Is there anything you would suggest?
I feel like I am negotiating mine field sometimes, in order to get through all the scullers.

Last edited:
Sound your horn. Hope it's loud to the extent of irritation, using multiple short toots. They've no right to block navigation. ... Meanwhile, five knots would barely slow me down. There are two rowing clubs here, but it's rare to see more than one of their boats at a time.

Last edited:
I suggest you inform the rowing club's director that the coach is putting his rowers in danger by failing to give way to other vessels seeking to pass safely.

You have a great attitude and it does sound like there is a problem that needs to be worked out. I think approaching the director of the club is a great idea. If it was me, and I had the time, I would send the director an email asking to meet him/her to discuss it. Meeting over coffee somewhere (preferably somewhere that overlooks the river during a time that the club is actively practicing) would be my preference.

Again, if it was me I would state in the email that I wanted to get the director's suggestions on way that I could navigate the river without interfering with the kids in the boats. It has been my experience that being non-confrontational, helpful, and "meek" goes a long way to help develop a cooperative attitude.

In the meantime, I would also reach out to whomever has jurisdiction over that stretch of the navigable river and find out what the rules really are. The USCG, county sheriff or whomever, could give you some guidance ahead of the meeting IF they chose to be helpful.

Good luck.

Sound your horn. Hope it's loud to the extent of irritation, using multiple short toots.

Thanks, I have sounded my horn. They either ignore me, or look at me like I'm bothering them.

Yes, let's keep in mind the coach is putting them in danger prior to you as he's not teaching them to respect other boats or to share the waterway. I've seen this out of bicyclists in areas. I know in the junior sail clubs and courses here, the kids are taught rules but also just respect for others. They go out sailing as a group and they leave room for other boats coming through, which is much more difficult when sailing than rowing.

Now, you say you "put in", so implies you have no slip or dock there. Knowing about the rowing club and it apparently a repeat problem, is there somewhere else perhaps better to put in? Is this area relatively unused or are there huge numbers of other boats traveling through as you do?

Thanks, I have sounded my horn. They either ignore me, or look at me like I'm bothering them.

Most likely, your horn is weak, as most all small boats have.

Last edited:
You need a trawler that means "business."

Or better yet, a ship with multiple machine guns.

Last edited:
Now, you say you "put in", so implies you have no slip or dock there. Knowing about the rowing club and it apparently a repeat problem, is there somewhere else perhaps better to put in? Is this area relatively unused or are there huge numbers of other boats traveling through as you do?

We pay an annual fee to use this ramp (already paid for the year). Not a huge amount of $, but is is the most convenient for us.

Not the rust, but a strong bow.

How about a great stereo and very loud directional speaker system pointed off the bow; with Jimi Hendricks "Star Spangled Banner" blaring at them... youngsters will not understand Jimi's artistry, coaches probably won't either..

If that doesn't work... go abstract and blast Tiny Tim's "Tip Toe Through the Tulips"!!

:speed boat: :dance: :thumb:

The sound of rust creeping up behind them will scare the hell out of them

Now you are just being silly Mark, everybody knows there's no rust on the Coot. I just may need to invite myself over for an inspection visit in August after your annual trip to KKMI to see if they missed a spot :eek: :)

We pay an annual fee to use this ramp (already paid for the year). Not a huge amount of $, but is is the most convenient for us.

It doesn't sound very convenient with the rowing group.

I think you'd get more help if you approached the director with a request for his help in solving a problem BEFORE someone gets hurt or a boat flips. Let him know you're seeking his help and he'll be more likely to be in your corner.

I might be in a unique position to comment and offer suggestions. I’m a professional mariner, recreational boater and competitive rower. Yeah, I spend too much time on the water…. Did I mention river rafter? Maybe I need an intervention and a move to the desert? Anyway, back to the point. I’ve been on both sides of this channel. Finding my passage blocked by the damned water bugs (rowing shells) and intimidated by power boaters while in my shell. The frustrations on both sided are real and legitimate. The difference being that in a shell your life can be as risk.

A couple of actions may help to smooth the waters, it's made a difference for us. The first is to meet with the rowing club officials and explain your frustration. It would be best if you could form a group of boaters using the ramp and narrow channel. Not so much to intimidate the rowers as to begin to form a broad community of all users of the channel. Seek an agreement whereby the rowing shells will stay to the right and your gang will pass at minimal wake speed after sounding the correct signals. Coming to agreement won’t happen overnight and will take meetings every season. Include the local authorities in the meetings. Usually local police or sheriff. The USCG won’t want to attend.

The second is to make an attempt to learn the rowing club’s schedule. Perhaps they can post the schedule online? Use that info to do your best to avoid the times of worst congestion. Much as you avoid traffic jams when possible. Hint, the shells out at 5 AM are the most serious racers training hard. In our club a relatively small group moving fast. The juniors are out late afternoon after school. A veritable armada, from the most inexperienced having trouble controlling their boats and staying upright to accomplished athletes. As much as possible I try to avoid using the shared narrow channels with the juniors are out. There are just too many of them.

As with so many things in life it comes down to responsibility and respect. Given time and cooperation it will get better. Not perfect but better. There will always be the cowboys from both camps, arrogant, self centered and a hazard to themselves and others. I nearly ran over a shell in darkness, he cut across the bow of the self propelled barge I was driving. He was unlit, in dark clothing, in a dark shell on a moonless night. He disappeared under the bow while I did everything I could to stop. I still don’t know how I missed him. I’ve been hit several times by rowers failing to look around and going at full race pace, we were tied to the dock when it happened. Our club had a wake board boat run through the middle of one of our open water rowing races at max wake producing speed just to make a point. A local club had a double hit by a ski boat killing both rowers. The way to handle those d$!&s is to report them immediately to the police / sheriff.

tgotch, you have been patient and your approach is perfectly reasonable. Our RMS (Roads and Maritime Services Authority[interesting combination eh?] has a slogan "The Road is there to share", it seems to me you are sharing but they are not. So a nice approach to the rowing club is definitely in order.
We had an expensive private school near our old mooring. They often had rowing sculls out on the river, we got by ok. Every year they had a Regatta for all major Sydney private schools, occupying the length and breadth of the river. Even then we could co-operate to gain passage, and they would have obtained permission for the Regatta from RMS.
It really depends on the club taking a sensible approach enabling all users to utilize the river. If their Director proves as unreasonable as the coach, take it to whoever administers the waterway. It needs fixing, not everyone has your patience.

I think you'd get more help if you approached the director with a request for his help in solving a problem BEFORE someone gets hurt or a boat flips. Let him know you're seeking his help and he'll be more likely to be in your corner.

Give the warning in writing, copied to several people there and the USCG.

Finding out that a deep pockets organization/person responsible was advised that something bad could happen if changes weren't made, nothing being done, and then an accident on point to the warning given occurring, is the kind of thing personal injury lawyers lay in bed at night dreaming about. Actually knowing, pretty much covers the "what a reasonably prudent person should have known" element.

My son rowed in college and now for private club. You stated jr rowing club, which means they are real new to the sport, they don't wear life jackets so I would be extremely cautious passing, and never be in a rush as they can flood easily thus sinking a group of kids.

Yes indeed they are side by side, many of their races are that way so that's a good way to practice and adjust rowers in teams.

Could be worse, they could get the section shutdown until they are done do to safety, rowing clubs typically have very influential people on their boards...

Tonight I was in a hurry to pick up some friends that were waiting, got on plane and went around them several times, staying as far away as I could. One of the coaches (in an outboard johnboat) yelled at me through his bullhorn. I stopped, and had a discussion with him. He said I am putting his kids in danger. Which I understand (I am responsible for my wake). But they have an attitude that this is their river, and no one else matters.

I am getting ready to send an email to the director, but wanted to get some feedback from this crew. Am I wrong? .

I wouldn't say you're wrong being upset, but I would say you're absolutely wrong to lose your patience and pass them at speed and put them in danger regardless of how wrong they are. You knew there was danger to them and let your temper cloud your judgement.

Thanks for all the replies. I sent an email to the Director, explaining the situation, and working towards any solution. Waiting to hear back.

To Portage Bay
I am now am keeping my trawler in lake washington, What are the rules when the huskies are practicing in lake union or portage bay? I have never had to contend with them before and do want to risk doing something wrong.

During races do they completely close portage bay so no way out of lake washington?

do they allow boats to pass through between races?

I have seen them practice down to the locks but in that area there is plenty of room, just wondering how to get through if they are in portage bay

Thanks Ed

We have rowers in the river where our marina is as well.

I give them full right of way under all conditions as they do not have the manouverability or stability of a power boat. Passing isn't an issue as we generally travel at the same speed.

Tgotch - you are doing the right thing opening the communication lines with the Director. In hindsight, it probably would have been better to have discussed the issue prior to waking the group of rowers, but better late than never.

You may find that they are doing time trials for set distances, and are hesitant at "pulling over" in the middle of their time trial. It could be as simple as finding out where they start and stop their runs, and plan your passing there.

I have never, ever received a response to several inquiries to various yacht/boating clubs or railroad-operated bridge owner. Hope your attempt is more successful.

Fortunately, hordes of manually-powered vessels aren't common here.

At most are a few.

Perhaps because of the swift currents here, typically up to 2.5 knots.

Last edited:
Mach_cat

In general the rules to follow are the rules of the road. Of course, few actually follow the rules. If you're observing the speed / wake limits for the ship canal you won't have much trouble. As the signs indicate, 7 kts or no wake. Lots of boaters miss the no wake part.

Sometimes the channels will be closed during regattas, usually just the major regattas. The Windermer Cup on Opening Day, Head of the Lake, Tail of the Lake are some. It's easy to tell. There will be lots of shells on the water and the Seattle Harbor Patrol will be there to keep you from interfering with the race. They will let boats through when there are lulls in the events. Generally the major regattas are announced in the Local Notices to Mariners. There are quite a few minor events throughout the year, if you see shells with bow numbers and the rowers at the ends of boat in numbered jerseys it's a race. Give 'em a break. It'll be over shortly.

During practice the teams supported by coaches are seldom a problem. They for the most part keep to the right as they should. A blast on the horn will get the coach's attention. As a professional / recreational boater I have had the worst encounters with singles rowing independently. Some just forget to look around. And, as a rower, I've been guilty of that behavior at times.

There are some choke points. Pocock Rowing Center can be a bad spot being on a bend and somewhat hidden from view as you round the bend. The shells will need to cross the channel to depart and or arrive at their dock. An 8 is about 62 ft LOA and turns very slowly. With oars out it's nearly 20 ft wide. The oars need to be out for stability.

Another challenging place for you is the area near Lake Washington Rowing Club's dock. LWRC's dock is actually inshore of where I've plotted it, I'm showing where you will encounter the shells departing and arriving. Not quite as blind as Pocock but you still have the channel crossing situation.

Going under the narrower bridge spans is a challenge for everyone. We all, power boats and shells, want the center of the channel.

As a rower the worst place on the ship canal is the Montlake Cut. Early in the morning the ski boats and wake board boats are roaring through the cut to get to the flat water on Lake Washington. The wakes reflecting off the concrete walls make it very dangerous for the shells.

I do my best in my shell to not block the channel. I do my best behind the wheel to not endanger smaller boats.

Attachments

• LWRC.png
    LWRC.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Pocock.png
    Pocock.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 100
  • numbers.jpg
    numbers.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 110
I have never, ever received a response to several inquiries to various yacht/boating clubs or railroad-operated bridge owner. Hope your attempt is more successful.
Let`s hope so. A friendly first approach, but without copying in the Authorities,sounds good.
On the issue of a response. A local juniors dinghy sailing club using my mooring ball as a "target" for a trainee volunteer rescue boat operator backed over and cut the pennant line. They traced me through Maritime,called to "confess" and organize repair. My mooring contractor did it at cost, kids at the club have boat owner parents and he services moorings in the area.
Hope your rowing club will be as responsive. If not, approach the authorities, the Club cannot claim effective exclusive river use.

I used to sit on the aft deck of my boat at the Canal Marina on the Fremont Cut and watch the scull vs power boat show. Mostly it was to watch the cute co-eds go by.

RULE 9
Narrow Channels
(a) (i) A vessel proceeding along the
course of a narrow channel or fairway
shall keep as near to the outer
limit of the channel or fairway which
lies on her starboard side as is safe
and practicable.
(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters
in length shall not impede the passage
of a vessel that can safely navigate
only in a narrow channel.