Windshield Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ak-guy

Vessel Name
Troll Hunter
Vessel Make
Allweather
I need to replace a windshield on my small 26' trawler. The original aluminum clamp-on framed window is bad, old hard rubber etc. I actually got a quote from a boat window company and while it was expensive I was willing to pay the price. The problem is their lead time of 6 weeks. I am considering just installing glass with the two piece locking rubber gasket material. Is this OK for a windshield? What is the life expectancy?

Taylor has a windshield repair division. They do all sorts of repairs on boat windshields. Saw a segement on Ship Shape TV where they refurbished even the aluminum frames.

Taylor has a windshield repair division. They do all sorts of repairs on boat windshields. Saw a segement on Ship Shape TV where they refurbished even the aluminum frames.

I saw that also.

ak-guy, what is wrong with your windshield? You can buy the rubber channel it mounts in. If you are talking flat glass, you can take the original to a glass shop and have them duplicate it. You want laminated safety glass, not plain window glass.

I had to replace a rear window and that's what I did. Surprisingly, "auto glass" shops weren't able to do this but a shop that does residential and commercial windows, shower stalls, etc. was. It was not expensive, $89 for something about 14"X29".

Ak-guy,
I'd just replace w new glass as you describe.
There may be info on the Albin website as they have that kind of window.
I think it should last a very long time if you apply treatment stuff like ArmorAll but not specifically ArmorAll. Whatever it is that makes rubber (of the sort you have) last a long time.
Most boats don't get any care at all and last a long time. The only downside is the lack of bling when you pass the yacht club. Many also leak in their old age but probably is'nt the fault of the type of window.
On my boat I just wish I had glass instead of plex or Lexan. May get to the top of the list some day.

The cost of a new window turns out to be more than I want to spend now so for now i think I will try to put what I have back together. Has anyone rebuilt an aluminum clamp on type window? I am thinking of trying to do it myself. Do you put the rubber in the aluminum channel first and then the glass or put the rubber around the glass then into frame?

Picture please. I remember replacing back windows on pick ups. You get the right lube, put a string around the glass, start the assembly in the frame and while maintaining pressure on the glass pull the string which will "roll" the gasket to the outside or inside of the frame. Slick and fast if this is the type of frame.

Here you go...

OR

Depending on your setup...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom