Boat Owner or Yacht Club at fault?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So common theme here is report to the insurance company. If the damage is minimal I can fix it why report it? Doesn't reporting to the Insurance company for damage less than the deductible ding your insurance and increase the premium?

Heading to Ilwaco today, dry dock tomorrow for a week, so I will be able to see damage up close.

So common theme here is report to the insurance company. If the damage is minimal I can fix it why report it? Doesn't reporting to the Insurance company for damage less than the deductible ding your insurance and increase the premium?

Heading to Ilwaco today, dry dock tomorrow for a week, so I will be able to see damage up close.

If the damage is less than your deductible, then I wouldn't report it. From the description just didn't picture it being that little. This is also based on the assumption you didn't hit another boat, just got hit, so you have no possible liability.

In my experience, filing a claim where you had little or nothing to do with the fault doesn't necessarily hurt you....you have to guess whether that will ultimately apply.

Not reporting and then becoming involved can have negative consequences too.

In my experience, filing a claim where you had little or nothing to do with the fault doesn't necessarily hurt you....you have to guess whether that will ultimately apply.

Not reporting and then becoming involved can have negative consequences too.

I've also found filing and withdrawing a claim has no effect. You make them aware and then cancel it.

Your insurance will handle the damages.
Going forward, what will the yacht club do in the future to minimize the recurrence of this event? Does the dockmaster have written policies regarding when to allow side ties, multiple side ties, end ties, etc.
In your opinion, should the 60 Hat been waived off, or should the Tolly be asked to shuffle and allow the longer boat dockside?

Alaskan Sea-Duction,
File with the insurance company and cover your ass sets. Like several others stated, OC Diver, Answer your insurance company's questions, but don't offer unsolicited information. I HOPE THE WIFE OF THE AHOLE ON THE Hat IS OK.

Alaskan Sea-Duction,
File with the insurance company and cover your ass sets. Like several others stated, OC Diver, Answer your insurance company's questions, but don't offer unsolicited information. I HOPE THE WIFE OF THE AHOLE ON THE Hat IS OK.

She is fine with a few cuts and bruises....:thumb:

On the hard. Dropped the anchor and inspected the bow pulpit. It appears the teflon took the majority of the impact. I have some gel-coat repair to do, so no big deal. Already have a new strip of teflon.

You guys are so cruel! Nobody mentioned the loss of the Canadian Red Ensign! That is the real tragedy here, gelcoat schmelcoat!

You guys are so cruel! Nobody mentioned the loss of the Canadian Red Ensign! That is the real tragedy here, gelcoat schmelcoat!

Most folks missed that part. I found a new one from a boat company in Utah for $12. The flag pole, little more.....:confused:

Greetings,
Mr. X. Aahhhh....The game is afoot. Was the flag (with cover) lost in FACT the Canadian Red Ensign or was it in fact the Maple Leaf? Mr. ASD notes "...the Canadian Ensign with a cover." BUT....Does Mr. ASD know the difference?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Red_Ensign

Now to throw another fly into the ointment, while doing this research I found out that THIS also remains an official flag of Canada...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

No, the Canadian flag, sometimes known as The Bandaid, is not the Ensign. The E. is the old one that crocks like me grew up with.

So common theme here is report to the insurance company. If the damage is minimal I can fix it why report it? Doesn't reporting to the Insurance company for damage less than the deductible ding your insurance and increase the premium.....
About the only common theme. Reading all the replies, subject to any contract, I still blame the YC for assigning 2 boats to use load points of insufficient strength for the load generated.
Depending on the policy there may be both the ability to "report" so you don`t fall foul of late notification, and a "claim".

As quite new in this world, I am not very familiar in going in busy marina or YC, most places around here have always available transient slip at least during the early/late period when I went. Maybe not the same during vacation period etc... Is it a common practice to be side tied? I saw it in locks or between friends in a cove at anchor but never in a marina yet.
(ASD please forgive this thread disgression)

L.

Thankfully you were wise enough to keep yourself safe while this debacle was happening. Glad no one was hurt.

Tom, you can and should report the incident to the insurance company but not file a claim at this point. As I said earlier, there are repercussions of not reporting it. If you let them know but don't file the claim it shouldn't come back to hurt you in any way.

The other thing to keep in mind is filing your own claim, first, can help in protecting yourself from the OTHER guys filing a claim and blaming you.

Marty....................

What's the deal with 60 Hatts and bow pulpits? Sounds vaguely familiar...

When the 60 Hatt parked on my bow 1 1/2 years ago, I notified my insurance company and he notified his insurance. I submitted a written statement of the facts. My Ins company sent a surveyor to the yard to examine the boat and report back to them. Then I heard from his insurance agent and he agreed to accept all responsibility. They cut me a preliminary check to get the ball rolling on the repair with the boat yard.

Ultimately, a similar impact from a similar boat on my bow pulpit ended up costing the insurance company over $11,000. My damage included cap rail, pulpit, anchor roller and rubrail. The full extent of the damage was not apparent until we were able to study it in the yard.

YMMV, but hopefully your results will be similar in the end.

Back
Top Bottom