Outside helm station, but not a flybridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
The Transpac Eagle 40 has an upper helm station where one stands/sits on the saloon roof rather than on the pilothouse roof like a regular flybridge. This appeals to me because it would reduce weight high above the waterline.

It wouldn't be used often due to our weather, but would allow me to photograph whales and wildlife close to shore much easier than from inside the pilothouse.

What other trawlers have this sort of upper helm station?

Any advice on installing one on a 30' Sundowner Tug? The false stack would make a handy platform. (Morse dual lever cable controls and Wagner series 700 hydraulic steering).

Hi Murray.
Looks interesting.
I like the idea of the lower centre of the controls compared to a
flying bridge.
I think you'll find your 30' will be quicker handling for close in and tight
spots that you seem to be working in than the 40'.
I know, you're looking at the control station.
I don't think he'll let you have it without the boat!!

Ted

Certainly more handsome, and possibly more practical, than the typical flybridge.

Yeah...there is no perfect boat...just one with the least amount of compromises. Quick and nimble in close and shallow has been handy for sure.

My wife has got the serious camera and lenses for wildlife photography so she's been out on deck while I'm stuck inside the pilothouse. I'll be getting a better camera and lenses for wildlife in about a year from now, so it's time to start thinking about upper helm options so I can join the photo fray.

You can also build a second control point

For example, the my boat Nordig tug 37, On the inside of the chimney or maybe yacht control wirreles control systems is the appropriate solution for you

nordic-tugs-nordic-tug-37-50512070150955506649557068504557x.jpg

Last edited:
You can also build a second control point

For example, the my boat Nordig tug 37, On the inside of the chimney or maybe yacht control wirreles control systems is the appropriate solution for you

Good point. Morse makes parallel and series components for adding a second station, so I'll take a look tomorrow after work. Would prefer adding to what I already have, rather than ripping it all out and starting anew.

Fun looking at bigger boats that already have it though ;)

If you have an autopilot, you might consider adding a jog stick or remote station. Usually only requires a 6 conductor control cable. My docking station has one and the AP pump can move the rudder faster than I can.

Ted

I often sit on the foredeck with my autopilot remote station when in open water. Or sometimes on the pilothouse roof if I'm not motorsailing. No morse controls at hand, but I haven't yet had a sudden event where it was required immediately.

However high you get ,the motion increases, hanging on to the wheel will be required.

Look in my oldies for sale for a bronze Columbia wheel strong enough to keep you aboard in heavy seas..

Good point. Morse makes parallel and series components for adding a second station, so I'll take a look tomorrow after work. Would prefer adding to what I already have, rather than ripping it all out and starting anew.

Fun looking at bigger boats that already have it though ;)

If you have the dual handle Morse controls, you can add another cable to each lever (usually) without resorting to using the Morse DS plate. Steering like OC Divers setup would complete your station.

If you have the dual handle Morse controls, you can add another cable to each lever (usually) without resorting to using the Morse DS plate. Steering like OC Divers setup would complete your station.

Yup, we do have dual handle Morse controls and I like your simple, use & improve what ya got without chucking a whole bunch of money at a problem attitude :thumb:

I'll look into adding another set of Morse throttle and shift levers. Cables would make an estimated 12 foot run with 3 bends.

Our 'autopilot' was probably one of the more basic ones back in the 1980's and simply holds Badger to a heading via a manually adjusted single knob. It has a long cable (6 conductor?) which reaches the foredeck and allows one to steer while sitting on the forward edge of the pilothouse roof. Next time at the boat I'll see if it reaches back to where the false stack is.

If possible, will need to practice a whole bunch before snuggling into tight & shallow spots to take pictures!

The Transpac Eagle 40 has an upper helm station where one stands/sits on the saloon roof rather than on the pilothouse roof like a regular flybridge. This appeals to me because it would reduce weight high above the waterline.

It wouldn't be used often due to our weather, but would allow me to photograph whales and wildlife close to shore much easier than from inside the pilothouse.

What other trawlers have this sort of upper helm station?
My Krogen 54 has a helm station inside the "false stack". It's a great vantage point with 360 degree views.

Richard

10115-albums347-picture2704.jpg

I upgraded the very basic upper helm 'navigation station' on Boomarang with the addition of a control console and proper helm chair. I had to raised the top by 12" to allow some additional headroom. Prior to that, it was beanbag chairs only :D

I found the pilothouse somewhat confining and wanted a comfortable place to operate the boat in nice weather. The visibility is sooo much better too.

6060457_20170104112416050_1_XLARGE.jpg

6060457_20170130111802065_1_XLARGE.jpg

6060457_20170130111758158_1_XLARGE.jpg

The Eagle 32 is set up like that and also a 40 ft Bluewater pilot house trawler .

I have this remote AP control and sit on top of my pilothouse in a bag chair sometimes, but I'm a hillbilly. Wish I had a way to control the throttle. And I wish the bag chair didn't slide around and spill my beer, but I'm working with what I have. [emoji23]
IMG_9536.JPG

"Shaman" has the same helm arrangement as "Boomarang".(not nearly as nice as "boomerang". Not surprising as the are both Fales.

The previous owner told me they rarely used the lower helm unless caught out in bad weather. She also said her husband would stand on the walkway and control the boat while anchoring and docking if single handing.

Ches

Oh, my, that looks like a nice boat. A word search for Selene on YW brings up all kinds of shiny things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom