Leaving Key West for Knoxville

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was once aboard a friends 36 foot Pearson sail boat .We were participating in some sort of weekend race regatta. All of a sudden black gray smoke billowed out from the cabin. I went below several times trying to find as well as seeing the source. Finally pulling the steps out ,the source was found. A battery had broken loose and made contact with a fuel line. A standard fire extinguisher didn' t even slow it down. Finally I was able to shut off fuel line and it was able to than come under control. Long story held short! Most likely you will not be able to see through the smoke ,breath or hold your breath long enough, nor have a large enough supply of extinguishers to put an established fire out. Thank God they all made it to safety. GW

So sorry I haven't posted anything on this site since the accident. I'm not sure what to say. I have to wait til things are settled before speaking in to much detail until the investigation is complete. I will say it was an engine room fire I did try to fight it. Lifting the floor board on the port side I was only able to crack it and stick the dry chemical extinguisher in and spray. It did no good a friend came to help and we both tried and couldn't knock it down. Smoke was filling the cabin very quickly so I had to make the call to try an get the dingy off. I thought I was ready for an emergency like this but I really wasn't. I can only say thank the lord my granddaughter wasn't there and that we weren't in the gulf 100 miles offshore. Every hour that passes I think about what I might have done differently. And what else I lost. We had so much of our lives onboard because it was our winter home. The wife and I both lost lap tops and iPads. I also had a backup hard drive thinking in case my computer crashed never dreaming of a fire. So many tools. If you have a dingy on top of your boat please don't count on it as a life raft. You might lose power the flames may be on the side you need to lower it We tried to flip mine off and the three of us couldn't even budge it. Also check your personal effects coverage. They said I only had $5000 that hardly covered my three binoculars and drone not to mention loose electronics and tools.
I want to say the people at goose pond marina in Alabama where very very helpful. The boat U.S. guy was there onsite in a short bit of time. When we got back to the marina everyone was trying to give us anything they could to help. I'll try to get back on here soon.

So sorry I haven't posted anything on this site since the accident. I'm not sure what to say. I have to wait til things are settled before speaking in to much detail until the investigation is complete. I will say it was an engine room fire I did try to fight it. Lifting the floor board on the port side I was only able to crack it and stick the dry chemical extinguisher in and spray. It did no good a friend came to help and we both tried and couldn't knock it down. Smoke was filling the cabin very quickly so I had to make the call to try an get the dingy off. I thought I was ready for an emergency like this but I really wasn't. I can only say thank the lord my granddaughter wasn't there and that we weren't in the gulf 100 miles offshore. Every hour that passes I think about what I might have done differently. And what else I lost. We had so much of our lives onboard because it was our winter home. The wife and I both lost lap tops and iPads. I also had a backup hard drive thinking in case my computer crashed never dreaming of a fire. So many tools. If you have a dingy on top of your boat please don't count on it as a life raft. You might lose power the flames may be on the side you need to lower it We tried to flip mine off and the three of us couldn't even budge it. Also check your personal effects coverage. They said I only had $5000 that hardly covered my three binoculars and drone not to mention loose electronics and tools.
I want to say the people at goose pond marina in Alabama where very very helpful. The boat U.S. guy was there onsite in a short bit of time. When we got back to the marina everyone was trying to give us anything they could to help. I'll try to get back on here soon.

We're just happy that you and your wife are ok and didn't wait too long to get off the boat. Sorry you lost things that turn out not to be insured (and a good warning you made to all..if you don't check the policy then the low rate quote might backfire on you at some point), but your lives and your health are far more important.

I know you've lost more than things too. I can tell by what you've written here that your love of and comfort in boating has been badly shattered by this. Your feeling of safety and security were invaded, as much as if someone had assaulted you.

Thank you all for your concern and understanding.

David, it's so good to see you posting again. I was wondering if your grand daughter was on board. It seems as if you were doing everything you could to save the boat and all aboard it. I don't want to sound trite, but your tag line says so much about you. So, I don't think you will let this steal your happy.

Just let me know when you are settled, and the date is on to meet at Calhoun's for ribs.

Ever onward.

Wifey B: When we passed by Goose Pond it was a harsh reminder of David's fire. Perhaps even a warning as we looked at everything so nice and peaceful to know that it can suddenly, both figuratively and literally, all go up in flames.

Sure made us even more appreciative than we already were. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom