ASV-Air Supported Vessel, new technology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
An interesting invention saves fuel. consumption of 0.86 gallons / nautical mile vessel about 18 meters long 5,2m width and the speed of 30 knots, no bad :eek:

Last edited:
An interesting invention saves fuel. consumption of 0.86 gallons / nautical mile vessel about 18 meters long 5,2m width and the speed of 30 knots, no bad :eek:

I have to admit that it looks pretty nice. I love to see old ideas incorporated into new configurations. If I was wealthy, it would be a nice boat for the PNW.

I have to admit that it looks pretty nice. I love to see old ideas incorporated into new configurations. If I was wealthy, it would be a nice boat for the PNW.

or buy a jacuzzi air / water pump and drill holes in the bottom of your boat:rofl::D

read more new thecnologys
http://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&ved=0ahUKEwjkvsDi7dPSAhXE3SwKHcH-ASgQFghRMAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.interferry.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FSession10-4_Tudem.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHtrDSa5sfQdc-psLCNa8Q-vIWNDA

Last edited:
I wonder at what wave height the effect goes away?

Ted

The Coasties has SES Cutters in the 80's

During the early 1980s the United States Coast Guard took delivery of three surface effect ships (SES) from Bell Halter, Inc. These 136-ton, 30-knot plus, aluminum hulled cutters were to be used primarily for drug interdiction in the southeastern United States. By early 1985, however, the full load weight of these cutters had grown to 150 long tons, and their top speed had dropped to below 23 knots in calm water. By mid-1985, operation of all three SESs was suspended to prevent possible catastrophic failure of their main engines. At this point, the USCG joined ranks with Textron Marine Systems (then Bell Aerospace), and Detroit Diesel to analyze what had gone wrong, and to propose solutions to the problems encountered. From that beginning, the performance of the Coast Guard's SESs has steadily and dramatically improved until at present all three cutters are able to exceed their original performance specifications. This paper discusses the problems experienced with the SESs, including engine overloading, vibration, ride quality, seal wear, poor lift system performance, and metal cracking, along with the corrective actions taken to solve them. The cooperation between government and private industry, which made this dramatic turn-around in performance possible, is also explored. Lessons learned about SES technology are viewed in relation to the general experience of the Coast Guard with other types of high performance hull forms. :socool:

Attachments

• ses.jpg
    ses.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 437
  • ses2.jpg
    ses2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 81
Just met a dock hand in Ft Lauderdale that served on a USCG SES. I was in Key West a lot at the USCG base in the early 80s and was on several of them but always seemed to miss a ride.

Yep...old tech...an offshoot of hovercraft I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom