New Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
Today I was able to pick up my new rowing and sailing dinghy from Gig Harbor Boat Works. It fits well on my Seawise davits 1489196721856.jpg1489196728892.jpg1489196734936.jpg and looks pretty darn good on my transom if I do say so myself.

Dave,
Do'nt remember the model it is.
Looks a bit like a "fish form" hull. My GH Defiance is not. With the hull so full fwd sailing should be great in a stiff breeze. I see the center board slot is open so you must be planing on sailing. Never seen a GH boat I did'nt like.

Nice to see a new dinghy that is'nt overpowered, overweight and looking like the Michleen man.

Last edited:
That looks like a 10ft Navigator. I've got one in my garage, waiting for better weather.

That's one sweet dinghy Dave . Congratulations

Really nice, organized setup!

IMO It's going to be superb with one person rowing.
With weight amidships.

Very nice, do you have a good way to stow the sail rig? I would love to have a sailing dinghy, but on my small boat I'm not sure how I would deal with the rigging.

Yes, we have a sailing rig for it. I just rowed it from the dinghy dock to my boat today and with one person it rows well. I have a more forward rowing position for when we have a second sitting in the sternsheets.

Porman, it is a Navigator. I am looking forward to trying out the sailing rig.

HM, I still need to figure out how I am going to carry and store it. The mast is a two part rig. I have a waterproof gear bag that will hold the mast sections, boom, and oars. My thought was to have it sit in one set of my kayak brackets. The rudder, daggerboard, sails etc I can find a spot for in one of the lockers. I can carry the boat either on my stern as shown, or lifted up onto the boat deck. When it is up there, all the gear can simply be set in the boat and covered by the boat cover.

@dhays - Congratulations bud. Looks pretty sweet to me. Agree with @healhustler. Solid setup as well.

Very nice! If you leave it there, you'll need to paint your boat's name on the bottom.

10 posts to get to the question of the day!

BTW, nice looking dinghy.

Screw the oars and sails! Slap an outboard motor on that thing and have some fun! Vroooom, vrooom!

I already have a Torqueedo outboard that I had for my sailboats RIB.

I agree that I need to put the name on the bottom of the dinghy.

I think that I will likely put it on the boat deck at times as for certain things (such as setting a stern-tie up in BC) a RIB makes for a more convenient and stable platform since there aren't any "beaches" just large rocks covered with oysters. A RIB is easier to get in and out of in those situation.

I slept on the boat last night and when I woke up it wasn't raining! I went for about an hour's row. It was very nice. I haven't rowed a boat in a lot of years. I enjoy it. I need to figure out some foot supports though.

"A RIB is easier to get in and out of in those situation."

Don't the oyster shells eat rubber?

We drag out aluminum dink up on most any shore , rather than needing a stern anchor and rope setup to float the dink out of harms way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom