Ya Just Never Know...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, I wouldn't have expected that. I've dealt with Fur Seals, which are actually sea lions, and they are super nasty and will definitely come after you. But I've never heard of this with northern seal lions. Sounds like they are behaviorally more closely related than I thought.

Prof, For God sakes, don't shoot one if attacked......they are federally protected!

But, but, but... your honor, I thought he was a really big muskrat.

I have wondered about Sea Lions. I haven't been too concerned about being bit (until now) but I have wondered about them possibly jumping into a small boat. That would ruin your day for sure.

Yikes :eek:

My wife and I have sea kayaked in herds of Steller Sea Lions. We even had a friendly game of milk the back eddies with about 15 teenagers along rock walls in Princess Royal Channel. Noticed, however, that if you get too close they "yawn". One starts paddling backwards when you realize your head would fit easily in that toothy mouth! That, and they stink.

There are different marine mammals in the world oceans e.g. whales, dolphins, sea otters and seals. Seals are divided into 3 families, True seals (Phocidae), Walruses (Odobenidae) and Eared seals (Otariidae). There are a lot of differences between the families but the main ones are that the Walrus have large whiskers and tusks, Eared seals have external earflaps while the True seals only have a hole.

In the Eared seal family there are 2 subfamilies, the Fur seals and the Sea lions. Most of them look similar, and genetic wise they are closely related. The features to distinguish them from each other are that Fur seals have a much thicker fur then Sea lions. Sea lions are larger in size then Fur seals, while the sexual dimorphism (size difference between male and females) is larger in Fur seals then Sea lions. Sea lions have a longer nose with their eyes set futher back in their heads while Fur seals have a shorter nose with the eyes closer to the nose. The ear flaps on Fur seals are larger and sticking father out from the head then Sea lions, and their flipper are proportionally longer on Fur seals then Sea lions.

We have sea lions, including those that come ashore at Kangaroo Isl. in South Australia. Auscan territory, on both counts.
The times I was there, the rangers instructed us never to get between a sea lion and the sea. Presumably the sea is their safety escape route, and they like it unimpaired. We complied.

Several years ago while cleaning a salmon on the edge of a dock, I had a harbor seal lunge out of the water and right into my face. I nearly fainted!
The local charter boat would clean their fish in the marina and this seal was looking for a snack.

Attachments

• Sealion.jpg
    Sealion.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom