Bird droppings on bimini tops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SOMERS

Vessel Name
ANDROMEDA
Vessel Make
MAINSHIP 400
IT IS ALL ABOUT FOOD.
Let's get positive about *Bird dropping on you boat.

We have a bird here who is a flying cement factory, it dumps its business on our boats.

I have saved the best till last.

Rubber Snakes don't work, as the birdies think that is food.

6 ft long Mavis homemade snake don't work, they think that is a banquet.

2 ft tall Plastic *owls with bobbing head don't work , this toy attracts birds who think that there is a party going on and can't want to join in, the crows used to dive bomb *ours.

Flags ; Steamers ; Pennants and Noisemakers *don't *work, the birds think that it is a *State Political Rally.

Any thing that moves attracts them for a free lunch ,one bird comes, then all the uncles and aunts show up to the National Lampoons Vacation.

Audible sounds attract them to come to the party, it is all about free food.

RPG 's and Guns don't work because *the bullets chip the paint.

Sling shots and BB guns don't work the shots also chip the paint.

You could make up "Uncle Remus" scare crow, but , where are you going to put it.

We love our birds , we have two parrots Joey and Sunny,also have two bird baths *in the garden and we feed our wild birds every morning away from the house.

We have Ground doves ; Regular Doves *; Sparrows *;Crows ; Pigeons ;
Kiskadees : they are a noisy bunch.

Red and Blue birds and Starlings all come for the feast. Our garden is full of song , we don't need an alarm clock from China.

So what does work to keep birds away from your boat.

You have to establish a feeding station away from your boats, the birds will*find the location real quick and stay over for lunch.

Our Pigeons, that is Roy and Rose will stay close to where we feed them , they are not going any time soon.

A selected new location is their latest airport because your boat *is not on their shopping list any more.

Birds will sit out in the rain and wait and wait.

The problem *for them is that they are always hungry.

Give the birds a chance to settle in their new location.

Some Birds can smell of a can Sardines, which you can dump in an old sock have it swinging in the breeze over there, that gets the party started.

You have seen a cloud *of 500,000 gulls hovering over a fishing trawler. they are not therefor fishing lessons.

It's all about food. Birds will always go where the food is , all you have to do is show them the way .

Maintenance
Remove Bimini tops clean with an old tooth brush *using ivory liquid in the bath tub and rinse well. let dry.

Treat your Bimini top with a protectant containing TEFLON which protects against future damage it usually takes 3 spray bottles and a soft foam sponge for say a 10'x 10' Bimini.

For *Droppings *on decks use a stiff brusk with full strength clorox and rinse well.

The Heron is the flying cement factory they will make a destructive mess , i don't know a bout West Coast Pelicans, who are protected.

Please do not harm the birds as MOST if not all are protected.

Wild bird seed is cheep and available in 50 lb bags at the pet store.

Sardines 3 rd isle on left next to the Pigeons.

Chickens come home to roost and for a feed .

Pigeons are the battle tanks of the bird kingdom.

It's all about food.

Donald & Mavis

-- Edited by SOMERS on Sunday 6th of March 2011 04:39:08 PM

-- Edited by SOMERS on Sunday 6th of March 2011 04:41:04 PM

-- Edited by SOMERS on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 09:33:28 PM

We are Lucky,* A "kind soul" in the next Marina -one dock away feeds the birds.

Result, all the ducks, gulls, and such mess up his dock.

I have been known to slip the swans a treat or two,* I know they are nasty but just like em.

Somers is right--Food is the controlling factor for bird control.

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Monday 7th of March 2011 07:59:40 AM

Whatever makes you guys think we've got birds on the west coast?

I have seen west coast birds on TV, some live in Hollywood apartments.

nomadwilly wrote:

Whatever makes you guys think we've got birds on the west coast?
Eric we are talking about the West Coast of Bermuda!!!

Cruising and Events- WEST COAST.

JohnP

"The Birds is a 1963 suspense horror film directed by Alfred Hitchcock based on the 1952 novella The Birds by Daphne du Maurier. It depicts Bodega Bay, California which is, suddenly and for unexplained reasons, the subject of a series of widespread and violent bird attacks over the course of a few days."

Well, it was a work of fiction.

It ain't a work of fiction when the local lobster boats pull in to their moorings next to you after a hard day on the water. What the birds then do to our boat over the next few hours...."Oh, the Horror!"

As an addendum to my thesis on bird poop, i have made some additional observations.

I have not even touched on the night flyers and chickens.

All of you by now will have been visited by partially bound up high flying birds.
If not you bimini will be added to their list.

Keep your baseball caps on,and if you keep a yellow kayak on the cabin top you are particularly vulnerable. I mean the kayak is ground zero.

What can happen if a flock of ducks decide a week end visit to put on an air show over your boat, well my friends in River City , its disaster.

Some Birds prefer a Green Bimini for girls, others prefer a Blue for boys Bimini ,
while there are still others who are not particular where they go.

Our little love bird is a regular, say every 10 minutes works for him.

However, i do want to point out here ,that there are some birds that fly around the West Coast all day looking for a spanking new Bimini to autograph .

On occasion a cute Grey Heron (The cement bird ) will land on a Bimini look around for a minute or so to see of the coast is clear, then dump.

Back
Top Bottom