Door hardware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wwestman

Vessel Name
Excellent Adventure
Vessel Make
1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Looking for a square key so I can look my aft deck doors from outside. On the inside there is a thumb knob to lock them but on the outside there is a square fitting. (see pictures) Reminds me of a skate key (if you are old enough) Tried faucet key(s) but they were all too big. Hoping to find something without having to resort to going to a machine shop.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20170116_094021.jpg
    IMG_20170116_094021.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20170118_132826.jpg
    IMG_20170118_132826.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 167
Have not tried that. Will have to dig out my small stuff and see. Good idea.

Jalousie house windows use a square drive. A hardware store should have something to try. If memory serves me most are 1/4".

Hum in France this type of square beam is used for handle and locks (without keys just a knob) on doors. Will try to find a link to what I mean.

HVAC has a tool called a quad box that may not quite work but be the right size. Check with your local pro supply house.

http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-85221-hvac-quadbox-1-4-x-3-16-square-9-16-x-1-2-hex.html

In addition to the 12 point socket RT mentioned above there is the less common 8 point socket. Here is a link to a 3/16" which appears to be the size you need.

http://www.armstrongtools.com/armstrong-10-406-1-4-drive-8-point-standard-socket-3-16.html

It works on any standard 1/4" drive ratchet

Seven way screwdriver from home depot?
Never leave home with out one! Unless TSA takes it.

Also try a well-furnished hardware shop and ask for a key for radiator bleed screws. Can't tell from your pic what the size really is, but it looks close.

Another thought is the sort of key that will open the valve on an MC-sized Acetylene tank. They come in a couple styles, a t-handled key and a punched steel strap. Available at any decent plumbing supply. (MC is the small sized tank originally supplied for acetylene headlamps on cars, now sold for the usual plumbers torches like this: ( https://jet.com/product/detail/0711...543782_pla-161687435340:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15 ).

You are searching for something like this I guess:

008728-250x250.png

Did you try leevalley?

We have a old time real hardware store here (not Lowes or HD) and I stumped them. Tried the window cranks, no joy.

I was hoping someone had the same doors or hardware and would say "Oh I have a bunch of those and will send you one" Guess that is not going to happen.

Lou_tribal exactly. I just need the part that works from the other side and is removeable.

Last edited:
It would be cool if a clock Key fit.
Shipstrike Key

Check with Chelsea Clock to see what size their clock winding stems are. Probably too small.

A 3/16" square would be a number 12 clock key. Visit your local Clockmaker.
The outside diameter of the key is 3/8". It looks like you will have room for that.

No 12 Key.jpg

Last edited:
Todd_R I think you have a winner. Now I just need to find one. Should be easy now that I know what to look for. (Fingers crossed)

That door set was made by Southco Mobella. Call them,

Fireplace gas key. They come in 1/4" and 5/16". Some have both sizes machined into them. Around $ 5.00.
Let me know if you cant find one, I'll send one to you.

Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom