Helmsman 31 - Just shipped to me in Seattle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dw8928

Vessel Name
Silver
Vessel Make
Helmsman 31
My personal new build Helmsman 31 is shipping this week to Seattle. I went all electric on this boat because at some point I anticipate moving it down to Florida. My most recent boat was a Colvin designed schooner.

Will have a Seasall 240 (fully electronic Glendinning controls), ZF transmission, induction cooktop (Kenyon), convection microwave, separate head/shower - and a whole lot of teak for a 31 foot boat.

Attachments

• 89 - 2.jpg
    89 - 2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,152
  • 89 - 1.jpg
    89 - 1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 89 - 5.jpg
    89 - 5.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 380
  • 89 - 6.jpg
    89 - 6.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 89 - 7.jpg
    89 - 7.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 425
  • 89 - 4.jpg
    89 - 4.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 378
  • 89 - 3.jpg
    89 - 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 89 - 1 (2).jpg
    89 - 1 (2).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Thank you. Supposed to be in on the 23rd.

Well now, that is exciting!!!
Congratulations on the new boat...
Bruce

Nice boat! That is a new engine to me, had to look it up. Have fun..

Very nice. We loved our 2005 Camano. Great boat. Where will you be keeping it?

Down close to the mouth of the Duwamish.

Seasall is very common in Asia and Europe. 6 cylinder diesel turbo with auto oil change! They do have another boat being built that will have a John Deere engine installed however.

Very nice! Congrats.
Have a friend who re-powered his 26 Tolly with a 270 Seasall and loves it!!!

Nice!! Keep us informed in the performance. She's a proud Lady!

Seasall is very common in Asia and Europe. 6 cylinder diesel turbo with auto oil change! They do have another boat being built that will have a John Deere engine installed however.

How easy is it to get parts and service for it in the states?

And what do you mean by "auto oil change"?

"Auto oil change" as in it bleeds off a little dirty oil while replacing it with clean oil?

"Auto oil change" as in it bleeds off a little dirty oil while replacing it with clean oil?

According to the specs it has a built in electric oil change pump.

Built in Asia?
Depends on the perspective. Tooling from US. Most below deck engineered equipment from US. Shaft system, transmission from Italy. Engine is Korean.

A container is shipped from the US to build the boat.

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! How awesome and exciting is that!!!! Congrats and Happy New Year!!!!

Coastal Marine Engine handles Seasall in Seattle and they have enough support )even in Idaho). Seems to me that engine tech is so advanced and reliable these days that it isn't such a big concern.

Most engine troubles I see relate more to engine mounts.

Dealer Locations Hyundai SeasAll Diesel Engines

Coastal Marine Engine handles Seasall in Seattle and they have enough support )even in Idaho). Seems to me that engine tech is so advanced and reliable these days that it isn't such a big concern.

Most engine troubles I see relate more to engine mounts.

Dealer Locations Hyundai SeasAll Diesel Engines

Performance Diesel is the US support group for Seasall and have an excellent reputation plus Hyundai behind it so I wouldn't be concerned with support.

Well we now have a winner in the "Santa was good to me" contest. Congratulations.

Congrats, dw 8928. As Larry said, that looks like a lot of boat in 31 feet. More photos and stories will be welcome. Whereabouts in Florida do you aim to move her?

the plan is Naples or Tampa.

Very nice package, DW! I've long been impressed with the Camano Troll/Helmsman 31. As others have said, it's sure a lot of boat for its size.

Please keep us posted on your delivery trek and first impressions. Congrats of the Best of Year Christmas present!!

Here's a write-up on the Seasall engine if interested. The engine in mine is essentially just a re-chipped version of this engine:

Hyundai Marine Seasall 270P | | PassageMaker

By all accounts, the Camano Troll was overpowered at 200 HP. I have to wonder why Helmsman went with increased horsepower?

By all accounts, the Camano Troll was overpowered at 200 HP. I have to wonder why Helmsman went with increased horsepower?

Very common now. My boat is overpowered at 380hp in my opinion.

Very common now. My boat is overpowered at 380hp in my opinion.

Wifey B: Ours is underpowered at 2400 hp in my opinion. :rofl: I was really wanting a Nor-tech Roadster or something but now just lusting after an AB. Not real fast but they will mostly run over 50 knots. :D

Helmsman has a pretty big analysis of the engine and the power curve, prop pitch, fuel burn, etc. Might still need to be throttled back though at 240hp, but at least it has some reserve power!

Helmsman has a pretty big analysis of the engine and the power curve, prop pitch, fuel burn, etc. Might still need to be throttled back though at 240hp, but at least it has some reserve power!

You will likely be running the engine way under loaded unless you run 12 knots. And that's going to use a lot of fuel.

Back
Top Bottom