Bahamas-pet check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
Both times I've gone to the Bahamas I did all the paperwork with a veterinarian in the US, filled out my Bahamas paperwork, mailed in with money but never heard back from them. When checking in I've not been asked about pets.

Has anyone had pet inspections after arriving?

No, I haven't and I suspect that 99.9% of visitors don't get inspected. But it is a great way to squeeze a bit more money from visitors isn't it.

David

Did you send cash? :rolleyes:

This year when we checked in at Bimini, we were asked if we had a pet on board, which we did. We handed over our permit from the Bahamian Dept. of Agriculture. That was stamped and attached to our cruising permit. On two previous trips we were never asked about a pet but had the import permit.

We didn't file ahead of time last November, but had all the paperwork when asked. They took it and everything was fine. Our general rule is if they don't ask (many countries) don't tell, but if they do, we don't lie.

Hi,
We just cleared in at Green Turtle Cay. When the customs lady came down to the dock, she saw the dog, so asked if we had the paperwork. We did, she took it and we never saw it again. We kept copies of course in case anyone ever asks. Our experience has been they only ask about pets if they know you have one.

My interpretation of the procedure is to mail the request for a permit and the money and to wait 2-3 months for a reply. We take the permit and the vet paperwork (which technically is supposed to be done within 48 hours of arrival) with us to customs. In six clearances, they have asked twice. I don't think mailing all that stuff back to the Bahamas is correct.

Enjoy the Bahamas.

Roger and Spice the Lab

Has anyone arrived with the vet paperwork but no permit? Can you pay on the spot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom