Silicon based foul release paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
I am sure some of you may already know it but I learned today that big ships, like container ships, are using silicon based foul release paint on their hull. Looks like it is highly durable (up to 10 years), reduce drag and so consumption and is environmentally safe.
Anybody have any experience with this?

Lou

Haven't heard of it but would be interested in knowing how well it works on boats that aren't moving all the time.

For what I read about it this is slipery enough to prevent marine growth but it is only litterature based
International (interlux maker) have some silicone based products butalso others.
For whaI found it is mainly used for professionnal usage so my question.

Lou

Interlux introduced Intersleek 700 in 1999 and have upgraded it to Intersleek 900.

Pages 9-11 of the linked document will tell you all about these products.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/antifouling_101_usa_eng.pdf

The ability to keep a boat clean is dependent on frequency of use, amount of use, speed, the severity of fouling where used and the method and frequency of cleaning. Unlike other anti-fouling paints there is no biocide.

Last edited:
Interlux no longer actively promotes their Intersleek products to the recreational boating market. I think they discovered that the cons outweighed the pros, in this application.

Last edited:
Or maybe they found that it is better business to sell gallons of paint every year instead of every 10 years :D

Really have no clue about pro and cons of this paint and found many professional brands for big ships that is why I was asking if anybody has any experience with it.

Interlux no longer actively promotes their Intersleek products to the recreational boating market. I think they discovered that the cons outweighed the pros, in this application.

I didn't know they ever promoted them to the recreational market. I knew they made the point that they really needed movement. Initially it was regular use above 15 knots. Once you let barnacles develop too, get on for any time, then you'd pretty much lost the battle from what little I know.

Just an idea for a very narrow group of vessels. Have you ever dealt with it, either their older or newer Intersleek? I once talked to someone who wanted it. Tried to talk a yard into it and they refused and even had the Interlux representative talk to him and tell him why it wasn't right for him. I don't know if they were serious or just exaggerating to discourage him, but they told him where his boat was kept, he'd need to have the bottom cleaned every week he didn't run the boat. The only reason I knew is he asked me if I knew anyone who might put it on his boat. After hearing the story, I just stared and said, "and you still want it?" He said "yes, if I can find someone to do it." I then asked "are you really that stupid or just putting me on?" He looked shocked and I tried to explain that when the people who manufacture it tell you absolutely not to use it, why on earth would you still want it.

Lou, Interesting thought, you maybe onto something.

Paul

Or maybe they found that it is better business to sell gallons of paint every year instead of every 10 years :D

Really have no clue about pro and cons of this paint and found many professional brands for big ships that is why I was asking if anybody has any experience with it.

For big ships that get constant use at speed, and would have very little growth without bottom paint.

When it says "professional use" it means that the VOC's are really high and can't be marketed to the general public or that the type of solvents used are a bit on the extra toxic side and require more personal protection than the general public commonly use.

Isn`t Propspeed the same kind of product?:hide:
I "heard"(unreliable source) of someone putting silicone in solvent to apply it as a "propspeed" type product.

(Ok Bruce,Take Cover, Incoming!)

Why not just paste your boats bum with silicone caulking? Once dried nothing sticks to that crap. 10 mil oughta do the trick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom