Inflatable Boat Registration Numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Our Zodiac has a plastic placard that is attached with elastic bands to two attachment points to display our registration numbers.** The elastic part of this set-up is constantly coming un-done, or stretching so it flaps in the breeze.* I would like to more or less permanently attache it to the skiff.* I was looking at a tube of 3M 4200 sitting on the boat and wondering if this would work?* The skiff has and will continue to be used hard so*I'm not that worried about appearance.* Suggestions?

Attachments

• imag0265.jpg
    imag0265.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 683
yep....get rid of that setup. Go to your vinyl boat name guy and have him make you a set of numbers. And stick 'em on. Simple as that. Everybody goes thru such painstaking processes for these numbers when this works perfectly. It seems like the expansion and contraction of the tubes would cause them to peel....they don't!!! Give it a try. *Super simple. *Super cheap. Super effective.

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 04:16:26 PM

You can just buy vinyl numbers and letters in a kit at Worst Marine and the like. They work perfectly and come in many colors and styles.

Another way would be to apply vinyl decals from the hardware store and apply to the tubes, then tape a rectangle around the numbers, then coninue to cover the tube beyond this with paper and tape. Spray two coats on enamel paint in the color of your choice, let dry then remove the tape, paper and number decals. I did this and was very happy with the results- I put the state decal on the outboard. I could find a picture to post if you want.

Forklift:

I pride myself on coming up with good approaches to* solve a problem. I never would have arrived at this approach. Great idea and thanks for posting it.

Picture

Attachments

• dscf3531.jpg
    dscf3531.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,196
All great idesa. The reason we have the plastic is to cover up the old Calif. numbers that were painted on the tubes.

Vinyl letters is something I never would have thought of!
I have a similar issue except mine has GA registration #'s painted onto it and I need to transfer to our new state of TN. Think I can just have a solid block of say black vinyl with white out letters slapped on the side and call it a day?
Pic of our dinghy attached...been trying to figure out how to cover over the painted #'s.

How do the vinyl letters not peel off if the dinghy looses air, etc.?

img_42741_0_00c41ea4dfbaec5a6a43309fd47dd998.jpg

If you would just row your boat, you wouldn't have to concern yourself with this.* Leastwise in the state of Calfornia.

Woodsong wrote:How do the vinyl letters not peel off if the dinghy looses air, etc.?
Forklift has the best idea on putting letters on an inflatable. Scroll towards the
beginning of this thread and read his post.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Woodsong wrote:How do the vinyl letters not peel off if the dinghy looses air, etc.?
Forklift has the best idea on putting letters on an inflatable. Scroll towards the
beginning of this thread and read his post.

Walt...no disrespect to You or Steve....but that looks like some work....my way you just peel off the backing paper and stick it on....THE END!!! *Go to people that make boat names and they will provide you the numbers/letters. *I paid 35 bucks for mine. *Yeah, I know, you can get it cheaper....but COME ON!!!!

I bought a stencil on-line and stencilled the numbers on my dinghy with vinyl paint. Mine gets deflated and rolled up so it's not going to work well with stick on numbers. The stencil kits from the office supply store or WM were too long so by buying on-line, I was able to compress the length while maintaining the required height.

For the state decal, I glued velcro to the dinghy (using dingy cement, not the self stick stuff on the velcro), heated and bent two small plastic squares to match the radius of the dinghy, glued velcro to the back of the plastic, stuck the decals on the front, and stick them on the dinghy when needed.

Attachments

• 4_3_11 007.jpg
    4_3_11 007.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,993
Last edited:
I agree we tried boat number plate and the custom glue on ones. The graphic company came out with the vinyl numbers and they applied them and heated them with a propane torch for 4 or 5 seconds at about 6 inches (leave it to the professionals) and they are perfect even deflating and inflating. We even had them put on our state decals using the same method. They said the heat makes the curing complete instantly (remember how hard it is to remove tape once it has been there a while). The best way to go even good for putting name on dinghy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom